Cafe Creme - my Boardtracker project.

GoldenMotor.com

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Wheels stripped and bearings out.

Just got to make up a couple of blanking plates to cover the brake surface then they're ready for powder coating.

Frame going to welder next week.

Fingers crossed.
Welding a frame is difficult because you have to go around and weld here and there a little at a time so it doesn't warp... And check it then sometimes warp it straight but you cant weld it without a plan to account for the heat... Or it will spring from the jig or when you remove the engine... After it's all done you can go over it with a torch and warp it straight but it's constantly chasing the distortion... When I would do a drag car I would weld it so under load the frame would be straight... (+-) 50hp would get welded different because of the flex... Motorcycle is basically the same thing... The torque from the motor will pull and push on the frame... One chain stay wants to be shorter and the other... That's my 2¢

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Welding a frame is difficult because you have to go around and weld here and there a little at a time so it doesn't warp... And check it then sometimes warp it straight but you cant weld it without a plan to account for the heat... Or it will spring from the jig or when you remove the engine... After it's all done you can go over it with a torch and warp it straight but it's constantly chasing the distortion... When I would do a drag car I would weld it so under load the frame would be straight... (+-) 50hp would get welded different because of the flex... Motorcycle is basically the same thing... The torque from the motor will pull and push on the frame... One chain stay wants to be shorter and the other... That's my 2¢
Many thanx for the timely reminder.

Fortunately I have spent 50 years designing and manufacturing spaceframe car chassis - including a couple of '27T Alky Altered's.

As I have admitted - I am NO welder, but have been fortunate enough to employ many superb [ and coded ] welders during my time in business.

The guy doing my welding is such a professional welder and I'm sure he will work to the advice you have given.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Fuel cell is finished now.

I had to cut off the alumimium boss off the brakeplate [ cable stop mount ] as it fouled on the frame axle plate.

All linished off, primered and finished in light Ivory to match the wheels - which should be back from powder coating next week.

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
How many times have we built a project around that one iconic piece !!!!!!
I have this Schwinn 'motorbike water transfer from the 50's both sides and have been looking for a long tank to put it on... And this is going to be perfect for it... There's another project with a double clamp stem and a set of Rupp mini bike bars... And another around a quad spring springer fork... And a 4th around a mongoose 6 bolt stem and matching chain ring... I'm just collecting parts at this point and by spring I should have a better idea of what I can do with it all and sort it out... I'm almost done renovating my place during the COVID lockdown... I always have to have something to keep me busy and it's been a few years since I had a motorized bicycle... My old shop was geared twords Mopar so when I moved I had to give it up and I enjoyed the bike more twords the end...

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The truss rod fork is probably going on a Shelby frame... Going back to the days of junkyard picking I need a pile of everything to look at and imagine how it can fit together... On the computer I can find just about anything... And UPS offers a free service to go and find it in the lawn leaving a trail to follow...

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Not sure where it's going yet, but just wanted to see what it might look like !

The Dimple Die project didn't work on the front headstock closer panels ..... metal too thick causing loads of distortion .......... back to the drawing board. They're only cosmetic, and my pal decided to put additional holes in which expose the inner braces etc. The new ones will only have 3 holes and probably be 1mm steel or 1.5mm alloy. The alloy ones would be glued in place.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Collected the machined exhaust collars today - spot on. Exactly as they were in my mind !! See the knurled finish.

I also saw some items he was welding for a customer - super neat, the way he was talking I thought it ws just going to be "adequate". Frame going up to his workshop in the next two weeks and he will do the frame while I wait !!!

That will be super progress and allow me to get on with all the little detail parts I want.

I also found a company that will make me a "proper" chassis plate - just waiting for details.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Dead chuffed to have found this guy.

i approached a couple of others who weren't interested.

Once he was assured that there was no copyright issue he agreed to do me a one off to my design. AND incorporate the old EB logo - all adds to the creditation of what is a Phantom !!

He will also do me a tag for the engine - which will just be the logo plus the original Virago engine number - that will confuse folk even more.

Less than £15 for the main plate and £4 for the engine tag.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Finally got the headers mocked up in the new collars. Front is dead simple, a 90 degree stainless bend off the shelf cut to length.

The rear is doable now - clearing the fuel cell. I can't finalise the layout until the footrests etc are in place.

Attachments

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Oh well, what's that about best laid plans ???? Frame didn't go to be welded this week.

A very good friend of mine was rushed to hospital about 20 miles away from me and as his wife doesn't drive I've been on hospital taxi service all week. Good news is that he's over immediate danger and is coming home tomorrow but scheduled for a heart bye-pass op next month ...... good job it's nothing URGENT then !

However, to balance that I just had a call to say that my powder coated wheels and handlebars will be ready for collection on Monday.

My machine shop guy is going to finish off my exhaust headers by welding a stainless [ pipe is stainless ] retaining collar. That will save me having to arrange another job down the line.