Budget survival bike build

GoldenMotor.com

Moon545

May 4, 2017
Kansas
Hello I'm new to motorized bicycles but i build a lot of motorcycles for fun and I'm a fabricator. Iv always wanted to build a motorized bike but never really go around to getting the parts. But last week a coworker gave me his because he was tired of it being in his shop and needed the space. It ran but not very good and needs some clutch adjustment/ attention.

My plan it to build this little bike into a survival style bike. Iv cut off all the baskets and racks he welded to replace with two ammo cans like saddle bags, paint black, and make it fairly quite. I might even fab up a larger tank or attach a spare fuel can.

All in all I want to keep it under 50$

I have most of the materials but would like to make up a little tool kit / spare parts to go in one of the ammo cans. That's where most of that 50$ will end up going.

I'll post some pictures up as soon as I figure out how to.

Moon545

May 4, 2017
Kansas
That's the point behind a budget build. The bike runs and functions there are a few things that need som attention like controls but all that is cheep. And like I said I have most of the materials that I need to make it look the way I want. the 50$ will mainly go to the few things that need replaced and any tools I want to put with the bike that I cant give up from my shop.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
You should be fine make a Photo bucket account to post pictures then when you want to post a picture of the bike on the forum use the IMG link. Ignore people getting anal over your engine most people forget this is just novelty for most people that haven't lost their license. Stay positive, that 2 stroke will last awhile if you take care of it. Going on three years with mine and compression is still high.

From my experience with forums ignore opinions and just do what you want its your time and money. I bet it will come out great. Looking forward to your pictures.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
And thus the apocalypse preparations begin. I believe you would be better off with a four stroke for the reliability, ease of use, and relatively low noise level. I might do this very thing, but build it to haul up to 500lbs of gear, and build a trailer to accommodate. This is perfect for carrying massive amounts of food, medical supplies, shelter, fuel, and materials.

Feb 2, 2017
California
You need a big pannier in the back rack so you can carry all your MRE's. Also, pack extra ammo as you are never sure when you'll need them when you go to the cities and encounter hordes of zombies. And don't forget your towel.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Moon, welcome! There are some great threads here on survival bikes. Mostly centered around the impending zombie apocalypse. 8 or so years back, Dave build a "junker" for some thing crazy like .38 cents from scavenged parts. And it was awesome!

Tools for bike alone are pretty simple, me thinks. Ya probably have have every thing you need laying around. survival/Camping/ tools and warding off zombies or dule tool weapons, hmmm. There is a professionally manufactured survival bike that has mounts for crossbow, picaxe and assorted duel purpose.....

Yay! Found it Moon. Page 7 has link to a purty cool survival MB. Might be good for some ideas. The thread is hysterical and worth a gander; (and proof of how we can take perfectly good threads, derail them and not have nice things, snork)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44467 This bike has some cool toys!

Reactions: Bobalou

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hello I'm new to motorized bicycles but i build a lot of motorcycles for fun and I'm a fabricator.

My plan it to build this little bike into a survival style bike.
All in all I want to keep it under 50$
You want to go 4-stroke.
When you are out on the road like Mad Max, you want to be able to use regular gas ;-}

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Nine days since the OP went missing..... darn zombies must have got him.

another one bites the dust
Mm, what a shame. He would have made a great survivalist. Well, zombies won't get me. I keep my katanas sharp and my bows heavy.
Kletus, no bike can be a true survival vehicle. No vehicle can. Your best bet in a zombie apocalypse would be a horse. You can trade a horse for your life, food, supplies. You can sacrifice the horse to help you get out of a horde. A horse, with the right equipment can be lethal, stealthy, or a lure, but never two at the same time. A lethal horse will be equipped with heavy armor, and so would the rider. You need a Clydesdale for this. A stealthy horse will be equipped with boots to silence the hooves, and a muzzle to keep it quiet. The rider will have light armor, leather is most likely, and a scent blocker. A lure horse is just that. Noisy, and attractive to hordes. This horse will be equipped with high explosives to eliminate as many as possible while reducing the suffering of the horse. I prefer the Clydesdale because I will be hunting those zombies with a vengeance. I use swords and bows because they are silent, and can be repaired. The arrows can be retrieved. My arrowheads will be ejected from the shaft upon impact and detonate with shrapnel, shredding the brain, destroying the command center of the infection. I will be the one to rid the earth of that scourge, if humans don't destroy the planet first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Heck no, we are just having a little fun and no slight is intended. But watch out he don't bite you.

4 stroke is probably the best choice for this application as they are more forgiving and not having to mix the fuel while there's a pack of zombies on your a$$.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Well, now that were getting insane-----I prefer my Dodge Ram diesel so's I can run em over. I pity that poor guy that started this thread, LOL, he'll probably never be back. If he does I would recommend he change his ID.
You will eventually run out of fuel that you can either scavenge or pump. A horse runs on grass, apples, carrots, and the like.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Heck no, we are just having a little fun and no slight is intended. But watch out he don't bite you.

4 stroke is probably the best choice for this application as they are more forgiving and not having to mix the fuel while there's a pack of zombies on your a$$.
I agree, 4 strokes are the best because of the reliability.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I agree, 4 strokes are the best because of the reliability.
That they are.
But most people would want to use a MB before the zombie apocalypse...

Something like this 4-stroke shifter with cargo baskets should keep you ahead of the zombies but still handy for quick store runs ;-}

If a zombie can catch you on that it is one frigg'n fast zombie so let him bite you, then you won't even need a motorized bike, you can run faster hehehe ;-}

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobalou

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nine days since the OP went missing..... darn zombies must have got him.

another one bites the dust
LoL, right, Chaz!? freakin zombies!!!

My opinion. These bikes ARE NOT survival vehicles. Especially those with cheesy Chinese 2-strokers. However a good 4-stroke bike built for reliability would be invaluable during hard times such as loss of income, hyper inflation or scarcity of fuel.
Well, now that were getting insane-----I prefer my Dodge Ram diesel so's I can run em over. I pity that poor guy that started this thread, LOL, he'll probably never be back. If he does I would recommend he change his ID.

Wish we had a "like" button!

Great points and ya just can't ignore that our brethren are coming up missing! Zombies I tell ya. ZOMBIES!!!!

wut?

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
That they are.
But most people would want to use a MB before the zombie apocalypse...

Something like this 4-stroke shifter with cargo baskets should keep you ahead of the zombies but still handy for quick store runs ;-}

If a zombie can catch you on that it is one frigg'n fast zombie so let him bite you, then you won't even need a motorized bike, you can run faster hehehe ;-}
I would kill it before I let it increase the sprinter population.