Brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

cabbiex5

Feb 12, 2009
Michigan
Im guessing brakes fall under safety:

My stretch beach cruiser came with the back pedal brake. I want to put lever brakes on it. I removed the mechanism for the back pedal brake and I am going to put a 80cc RAW on there. What kind of brakes should I use? Disc Brakes? the old school squeezy kind? thanks

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The simplest and cheapest would be your front and rear old school squeezy brakes ANND coaster brake.

I have suspension fork vee brake, coaster brake ANDD rear squeezy brake on "The Dragon Lady", a twin-engined girlie cruiser. Originally I had standard fork and front old school brake. That made a good braking improvement, but the rear coaster brake kept locking up..duh.

When I installed the rear old school brake, it cured the coaster brake of lockup problems and greatly improved braking capacity.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Yeah, what you refer to as "back pedal brakes" are more properly referred to as "coaster brakes."

I run caliper brakes front and rear and a coaster. No need to remove the coaster brakes.

cabbiex5

Feb 12, 2009
Michigan
okay, thanks for all the help everyone. My verdict from reviewing the forums and this thread is:

ideal brake setup is front and rear caliper and a coaster brake.

gunna put the coaster brake back on and buy some caliper brakes.

anyone prefer a brand? thanks a ton.shft.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
okay, thanks for all the help everyone. My verdict from reviewing the forums and this thread is:

ideal brake setup is front and rear caliper and a coaster brake.

gunna put the coaster brake back on and buy some caliper brakes.

anyone prefer a brand? thanks a ton.shft.
The caliper brake I used was brakes from other bikes that I found in the dumpster.

Homemade Dual Brake Lever pictures by FR31MB - Photobucket

You can read what I have done and others in this thread, also some more pics

http://motorbicycling.com/f31/brakes-how-yours-1221-3.html

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Honestly, the "ultimate" brake setup involves at least V-brakes, front and rear and preferably disks, front and rear. However, calipers front and rear and a coaster work fine....I seldom to never use my coaster brake, but it's there if something goes bad.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Using front and rear caliper brakes myself, but at times I feel it's not quite enough. It could be I'm used to disk brakes which I have on my mountain bike with no motor. I do want to upgrade to disc brakes sooner or later, but foresee an issue or two with the back brake. The shifter kit from sick bike parts would make it much easier though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Using side-pull brakes and coaster brake allows me to claim the center lane and ride with cars at 37mph.

My last resort are my foot brakes.

My Whizzer has lousy brakes I need to upgrade.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I upgraded the performance of my happytime .
My brake pad life went down to about one set of pads a week.
I also broke the mounting bolts. Thank goodness not both the front and rear at the same time.

I finally cracked the frame..
Bicycles are just not meant to go fast on poorly maintained roads.

John-Forrest

Jul 18, 2008
I've been having trouble with my rear V-brake wearing down quickly - especially since I put more powerful 80cc engine on. I have a disc brake on front. What are best rear brake pads?

I've found that if you let go of clutch engine acts like a brake - probably not a good idea but it will stop you in an emergency.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I've been having trouble with my rear V-brake wearing down quickly - especially since I put more powerful 80cc engine on. I have a disc brake on front. What are best rear brake pads?

I've found that if you let go of clutch engine acts like a brake - probably not a good idea but it will stop you in an emergency.

I ALWAYS slack the engines while approaching a red light or stop sign. The resistance drag from both friction rollers is substantial and slows the bike down. Then I gradually apply brakes.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
depends how hard you are using the brakes! I have a coaster brake on my cruiser and has been doing fine. I dont run up to the stop light or sign WOT, I gradually slow down to a stop. with no front brakes either! However I do prefer hand brakes front and rear!