Bogging uphill.

GoldenMotor.com

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
This has been a stressful mb week for me. I just replaced my old 48cc jug with a new ported jug with a rounded exhaust port and 40mm intake ( yes you heard that right ) and skirted piston. I ran it, it was great. But I noticed that it sounded like it might be running a little lean, ran it a few more times let it cool and checked the spark plug and it was a light tan bordering white so I dropped the clip one notch and rode it. After 10ish minutes it started to bog down and could only go half throttle And i heard a weird noise think it was the sound of air going through my exhaust gasket (didn’t realize it at the time) so i got it home started it and saw smoke cpming out of the head area so i put the head gasket back on put the needle back to the original notch. next day took it out could only hit 20-25 and maybe 30 on a slight decline. And it would die going up a hill.
I got it home and saw that the exhaust gasket was split on one side so i changed it and I rotated the motor so the carb would be slightly angled up i can make it most of the way up that hill (its about a block) but still dies near the top i also peddling, but i can turn around to head back and it fires right back up and ready to go.
So after my long story, does it sound like im not getting enough gas?

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
My engine has the same problem with the half throttle thing when I richened the mixture. Have no clue why it happens though.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
What spark plug are you using? I changed mine to an ngk and it stoped bogging up hills cause the stock one is trash

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
I’m using an autolite (dont know the model number) it appears that i have a leak around the carb bowl, since I paid for my motor with paypal (crazy buyer protection) I reached out to the company and told them what happened and asked for replacement parts or a new carb. Im supposed to hear from them on Monday. I hope that is the extent of the problem.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Did you try tightening the 2 nuts holding the bowl on and the one at the bottom of the bowl to drain the gas?

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
I was able to tighten one of the bowl screws maybe 1/8-2/8th of a turn. I started it and the idling really high, i forgot to adjust the idle screw back .