BikeBerry gas tank mount 'upgrade'. Wish I hadn't

GoldenMotor.com

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
This video convinced me take my gas tank off after everything was on and solid just fine, and redo it with four brackets instead of two. The sales pitch presented was convincing: those weak little welded bolts, they say, eventually break from the vibrations of running the bike and the stress of being pulled from below, with the traditional 1 bracket mount.

Instead, use 2 brackets on each side. Screw nuts all the way to the tank, then upper bracket, lower under, and bolt. The tank then sits on top with no pressure, and viola.

Never mind that I had already used threadlock on my tank so it was a lot harder to get it off than I anticipated. The washers had to be pried off basically. Then even after cleaning the threads, I couldn't get the first nuts half way up those weak little welded bolts, due to the paint already on them, and threadlock, and on. All this time I'm thinking I'm putting all this pressure on those welds, which may make them leak all the SOONER.
By the time I was half way I chickened out, I thought it was just too much torque and would rip those bolts.

If I try cleaning them with a wire brush like in the video, I'm stressing them and they may even become loose if I keep at it. Thats not good.
If I try some kind of acetone or paint remover, that's only going to make those bolts more likely to leak too.
Its just a real PITA. So my question is.... is it really necessary?
How often do these gas tanks leak screwed on just the traditional way. I can't mount them the way this video recommends :/

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
For years, I've been using 3M two sided tape to help mount the tanks.

I put a long strip under the tank where the frame tube will be, & I also put some on the mounting brackets... This keeps the tank secure enough so that you don't have to over torque the hardware to keep the tank from moving.

I also use purple Loctite on the threads... (yes there is a huge difference in the different colors & numbers of Loctite)!!!

Purple is for small threads & is removable.

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
For years, I've been using 3M two sided tape to help mount the tanks.

I put a long strip under the tank where the frame tube will be, & I also put some on the mounting brackets... This keeps the tank secure enough so that you don't have to over torque the hardware to keep the tank from moving.

I also use purple Loctite on the threads... (yes there is a huge difference in the different colors & numbers of Loctite)!!!

Purple is for small threads & is removable.

Assuming then you use the double sided tape, go ahead with one bracket not overtightened and they DONT end up leaking?
Again I'd love to keep trying the double bracket thing but its looking like thats going to rip the bolts loose at their welds, and it will leak at installation!

Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Assuming then you use the double sided tape, go ahead with one bracket not overtightened and they DONT end up leaking?
Again I'd love to keep trying the double bracket thing but its looking like thats going to rip the bolts loose at their welds, and it will leak at installation!
I've never had any problems with leaks around the gas tank studs.
I'll get some pictures of what I'm talking about & post them here.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's the pics of how I use the two sided tape on the gas tanks...
I had to remove those nuts & washers you see on the tank before I installed it.
They were installed by the customer before he brought the bike to me to fix...
(he was probably watching the same bike berry video you were)!! laff

tank tape1.jpg

tank tape2.jpg

tank tape3.jpg

tank tape4.jpg

Last edited:

Solarsyst

Jan 17, 2024
Here's the pics of how I use the two sided tape on the gas tanks...
I had to remove those nuts & washers you see on the tank before I installed it.
They were installed by the customer before he brought the bike to me to fix...
(he was probably watching the same bike berry video you were)!! laff

View attachment 114934

View attachment 114935

View attachment 114936

View attachment 114939
I've used this on these on my Schwinn Stingray OCC, it helps with the vibration :). All tanks come with a little red or black rubber washer to prevent leaks. If you don't have one use Permatex Gray Fuel Resistant. Used that as a sealant on one and never had an issue with leaks.I have access to a welder. But instead Gorilla taped the tank because it's too wide lol. It will require longer studs lol.