bike stabilizer for the old and infirmed

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah im looking for a used one now. I'm think ilfan on the front wheel.. I just honestly hate to buy a new one then start chopping on it. I almost bought one two years ago from a guy in my neighborhood for eighty bucks but I had no where to put it. Need is the mother of acceptance. I think it will look a little dorky but that's okay so do I.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Deacon, Im not sure how much room is on the back of a trike, really never studied one. If you could mount the Lifan in the rear you might be able to work up a belt driven shaft with dual rollers and an auto clutch for easy take off. Make a plate with pillow bearings. Could probably mount it to the rear down tubes with u bolts. I dont see it as too much of a project. Youve done similar work.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think i have about decided to go with a trike and forget the stabilizer. It works but to be really stable the outrigger would have to be about two feet on each side of the rear wheel. that would make it very dangerous in traffic. Would get run over by some teenager in a car.

Once I pick up a trike, I am going to go with a small wasp mount on the front wheel first till mama decides im not committing suicide, LOL. I am also going to be setting up the Ilfan for quick and easy interchange. I will just tell her im going to swap them out should I ever need to go a long distance. then find a place to go and just forget to change it back.

I need to find a trike now. I like the small folders but I dont know just yet. It doesnt matter I cant ride till oct `1st so I have time to look around.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I had a bike I was ready to strip for parts but I decided to give it one more try. I replaced the crank with a super large chain ring. I make a new chain for it as well. So that part works now. I also custom fitted one of my really well made trailers to it. hooked it on both sides using the stand off brackets from the training wheels that I was never satisfied with. The width of the trailer hitch is 10 inches side to side.\

The trailer is 15 inches wide by about 24 inches long with 16" wheels. The bike will absolutely not fall over but it is going to steer funky like a trike I'm sure. Of course now a guy wants to sell me a trike cheap. I found the mail when I came in from rebuilding the trailer bike combo. I am going to buy it if I can find a way to get it home.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
I will just tell her im going to swap them out should I ever need to go a long distance. then find a place to go and just forget to change it back.
HAHAA that seems like a plan i would come up with

Another idead to throw at you would be an outrigger of sorts

MAKE A PUSHER SIDECAR!
have it flex in the turns so u can use its weight when turning and also hav a third wheel to help you the other way

im just brainstorming
id really like to see a front wheel drive wasp trike lol
keep on keepin on!
.trlrl.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
if the guy will deliver the trike or I can figure a way to get in my wifes compact car, then I will probably put it together. Otherwise it will be running a wasp dragging a trailer. Yes please keep making suggestions you might stumble on the easy stabilizer.

One thing interesting Im finding about trikes is the brake system. The little folding workman seems to have two brakes on the front wheel and non on the rear. A drum and a caliper on the front wheel. Since that is where I want to put the motor I will have to give that some more thought.

The schwinn has a front and a rear brake. The rear being on the axle and the front being side pull.

Last edited:

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Deacon...I know you will come up with something.....Take another look at Fasteddy's sidecar build..it has the electric motor (hub motor I think) and batteries in the side car and powers the sidecar wheel.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I looked at building a sidecar once and liked the idea but my skill level isnt there. The trailer with the double hitch is the most stable thing so far. It would be easy for anyone to build and install on a bike. It was my original plan but I got sidetracked which was fine I learned a few things along the way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I took the bike/stabilizer apart three times since I said I gave up on it. This last incarnation seems to have done the trick. I hooked the two tongues directly to the axle of the rear wheel. that made the trailer attachment 6" apart. The trailer is about 20" wide overall. To make the trailer connects more stable, I moved the motor and hinges to the front of the bike. i will have to do that with a trike as well, so it was a good learning experience.

The bike seems as stable as possible at this time, but I need to test it some more and I cant until Oct 1st. I can ride it up and down the driveway, so that's something anyway.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I couldn't stand the inactivity any longer. I slipped out and redid the rear deck on this bike. I cut an opening in the front of the trailer with the 16" wheels and moved the front of the trailer so that it wrapped around the rear bike tire. I shortened the the bike about ten inches that way. It should be a little easier to move around the shop that way.

I went back out and added a cable from the seat post to the back of the trailer so it is all tied together. If I lift the bike the trailer stays level instead of sagging. I think that is an improvement making it easier to move around the shop/

Last edited:

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
When I was kid here in Michigan , there was a guy who rode his motorcycle year round. Mind you we get alot of snow here. He had two snowmobile ski's mounted on each side kinda like training wheels and a studded rear tire. Crazy guy but was fun watching him ride.If there's a will , there's a way.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Good goin. When it is tested and you can get videos of it in action... please do... would like to see.

Measure Twice

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is how strange this bike looks lol. This is the worst looking bike I think I have ever built. Oh well it's going to be about a month before I can ride it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been walking around all day trying NOT to think about how easy that would be lol. sitting in the stabilizer and pressed against the rear wheel.