Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Time for a bit of a update. We moved to Rubicon Wi., in 2006. Pretty much a clean slate I thought but.
The house and out buildings were over run with Daddy Long Leg spiders.
Not Harvesters, but real spiders. They are dirty critters crapping everywhere. My solution has been to vacuum them. In the house I have been winning.
In the 40x60 steel shed and 30x40 sided cinder block building housing my machine shop infested by the same spiders and occasional Deer Mouse, I have been more passive. Treatment DuJour has been a SCJohnson product.
RAID MAX® MESS FREE DRY FOGGER It is pretty effective mostly.
In the Machine Shop, I found this big Ol female which the fogger did not touch, and she had webbed the hades in my shop. Shopvac did the deed. But the place is still a mess. More sucking in the coming days. and then there is the steel shed which had much less love.

In the steel shed, I run a trap line. Four chipmunk's and the odd mouse so far this Spring
Our first butterflies came in on the southerly breeze today. They are feeding on the grape hyacinth.

Tom

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tryin to buy a little mill. I looked over it briefly a while ago, seem to remember a half inch 2F short flute square end mill in it so maybe it’s strong enough for most of my stuff. Damn guy won’t hit me back up, guess I gotta show up there with the cash tomorrow and see where he’s at. Friend of a friend.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey guys been a minute. Stuff which crawls varies around here. Daddy Longlegs used to be very common pests, but I'd say not any for more than a decade. What is common is what I call a flycatcher. Small, fast and a jumper. Black with an orange/red spot on its back. Short legged, very much not a Black Widow. It is not poisonous and preys on spiders etc. I let them be and just clean their webs, very small things and not many of them. Since I quit killing them I've not had Daddy long legs or other spiders? Also the super Wolf Spiders are mostly an outside variety and I see them around the foundations of my buildings. They kill all spiders, fast as heck and not afraid of me nor should they be. Big black Tarantulas I let them live outside. Lots of birds too. I don't use insecticides. Critters killing critters only.

We also have snakes poisonous and not. Road Runners and Corvids (Crows, Ravens, Jay's etc) love to eat snakes and mice too. So snakes aren't common either if we let them be. Hawks and Owls are also effective snake and rodent killers.

My policy is just that, for now it's been working, but infestations in my buildings would bring on Chem warfare! Just hasn't been necessary for many years.

Tony I hope you get a mill as they are great fabrication aids.

Life is good here in Indian Territory and Istill ride everyday. Best wishes to all and Tom I wish you good fortune in your efforts against critters!

Rick C.

Bob53

Jan 8, 2015
Cleveland, OK
Hey guys been a minute. Stuff which crawls varies around here. Daddy Longlegs used to be very common pests, but I'd say not any for more than a decade. What is common is what I call a flycatcher. Small, fast and a jumper. Black with an orange/red spot on its back. Short legged, very much not a Black Widow. It is not poisonous and preys on spiders etc. I let them be and just clean their webs, very small things and not many of them. Since I quit killing them I've not had Daddy long legs or other spiders? Also the super Wolf Spiders are mostly an outside variety and I see them around the foundations of my buildings. They kill all spiders, fast as heck and not afraid of me nor should they be. Big black Tarantulas I let them live outside. Lots of birds too. I don't use insecticides. Critters killing critters only.

We also have snakes poisonous and not. Road Runners and Corvids (Crows, Ravens, Jay's etc) love to eat snakes and mice too. So snakes aren't common either if we let them be. Hawks and Owls are also effective snake and rodent killers.

My policy is just that, for now it's been working, but infestations in my buildings would bring on Chem warfare! Just hasn't been necessary for many years.

Tony I hope you get a mill as they are great fabrication aids.

Life is good here in Indian Territory and Istill ride everyday. Best wishes to all and Tom I wish you good fortune in your efforts against critters!

Rick C.
Hey Rick, glad to see my fellow okie is still in the game. Indian territory is really starting to get hot this time of year stay cool and ride in the evening. Bob

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hi Bob the heat has been limiting my rides to early morning, but the next few days are forecast to be well under the hundred mark as highs. Our evenings have stayed over a hundred until 10:00p.m. out here in the badlands so no late rides to this point.

Hope you are well and getting some rides in too. Take care of yourself and enjoy life as a gift!

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hi Bob the heat has been limiting my rides to early morning, but the next few days are forecast to be well under the hundred mark as highs. Our evenings have stayed over a hundred until 10:00p.m. out here in the badlands so no late rides to this point.

Hope you are well and getting some rides in too. Take care of yourself and enjoy life as a gift!

Rick C.
I thought of getting a swamp cooler for less energy cost, but not sure if the RH in my location is worth the cooling effect. Some of those things cost as much as an AC. The mold needing cleaning in the things are also less attractive than an AC. If I had just my own electric meter billed to me, I would spend the dime.

It is super-hot like 95 or more yesterday and today. Down stairs at 85 and upstairs 90.

Going down to closer to the Pacific Ocean is cooler. Up in the hills here I have sugar pie pumpkins growing. Orange tree, blueberries, hops, tomatoes, as well like the heat though.

I was planning another trip for getting in the water to access to the river.

Snorkeling or maybe even trying scuba on the menu.

Compared with a month ago, the depth is less. This means aquatic plants are in the area where there is greater depth. If I cannot find diving in the river now, I am going to see when the ocean calms down.

The snorkeling there is in colder water than the river. The river now is close to luke-warm. It may be 50 to 55 ocean surface temperature for the NorCal Pacific Coast.

I’ll have to use my drysuit undergarment high loft stuff. I will have to see a test at home when it is cooled off in the evening, to see how I can do at getting into the suit with more lofty insulation around my elbow.

My incision area may tell me not yet, but how else to know.

The surgery side, very close to the incision, which still since February has some nerve issue that in time, I hear goes away is something I’m dealing with.

This is aside from the ulnar nerve hand pain which also has time associated for healing from scar tissue removed from around the pinched nerve elbow area.

The test at home, getting full suited up, before dealing with small breakers in a cove is attempted, I am feeling will tell me if I am ready for the ocean.

If there was a cooler weather outside in my car port, I would see about finishing doing the valves on the Briggs bike. I suppose in my kitchen with fan running just get that done. But not assembling all the engine and tranny stuff inside.

I have heard the temps in Redding area supposed to be over a week of 110. Upper Lake Ranger District near Ukiah for trail riding may be put off till October, if this is what it is like there also.

I got mosquito bites on my arms and even right close to the incision area, but after a day and Domeboro solution, there going away and not a bother now. I’d say it is time for an It’s It Ice-cream Sandwich.

MT

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Well look who’s back. I went to the shop but the fken guy ain’t there. Just one of those people that even in this age of connectivity, cannot use a phone at all whether it’s call or text, just can’t respond at all. We all know these people. Friend of a friend special super deal. Like dude.. if you selling something then just freakin sell it already??! This things gonna be a mill for fifty bucks more with all the gas and maybe a fifty dollar flake which is how it’s looking more with every passing day.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tony I think of these guys as good deal flakes. Like panning for gold very hit or miss. I'm old school and carry real cash to seal real deals on the spot. Later is quite unlikely to come about with some guys and like you I don't want to waste time chasing "Flakes".

MT take care of yourself and heal up before you get back to diving. I have a small refrigerated air unit for my bedroom and it was about $200 new including ship, very high efficacy & low cost to run.

Rick C.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Tony I think of these guys as good deal flakes. Like panning for gold very hit or miss. I'm old school and carry real cash to seal real deals on the spot. Later is quite unlikely to come about with some guys and like you I don't want to waste time chasing "Flakes".

MT take care of yourself and heal up before you get back to diving. I have a small refrigerated air unit for my bedroom and it was about $200 new including ship, very high efficacy & low cost to run.

Rick C.
The landlord used to have three tenants, but one left. Now it is just two and still just one electric meter. Myself and the other only have fans for cooling.

The landlord is one that I would best not bother. I mean, when the tenant that left, which was the caretaker for the place, the landlord said there is no caretaker anymore. You take care of the small stuff. A stinking mouse rotting in the wall was what he considered small stuff.

Eventually with other work done on boiler, steel wool was put in the gaps that lead to mouse entry by hot water floor heating tubes. Sorry mice, find another way.

A big air purifier I still keep running. A filter lasts about a year for around 50 dollars. So even though the mouse no longer stinks and it remains within the wall, that thing draw very little electric current.

If I buy a RH meter and see how a portable unit swamp cooler would operate on 20%RH and the current draw cost, compared to a small portable AC and its cost to run I can decide maybe or not. I mean with BTU's being comparable. Apples vs Apples.

The place I sleep does not have a door that separates the rest of the house. I would have to maybe devise something if possible to just have the upstairs being cooled.

Every time I would go up or down stairs would be a pita. Maybe in a year I will live elsewhere with a cooler climate, more down by sea level.

MT

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The use of a small BTU window unit requires closing off each space, bedroom, kitchen etc and only cooling those spaces, area cooling, not whole homes or even more than one room at a time. During the night I cool only my bedroom and in the heat of the day I cool my Den area only. I only cool zones, though I have several air units I seldom have more than one in use. My shop area isn't cooled, but is well insulated and I have floor fans so I can work when I want and during the hottest afternoons I don't want!

When I was a kid we had swamp coolers, big ones. They worked well enough but man they were noisy. They served well as humidifiers here in our arid climate with very low typical humidity.

Moving does sound a solid idea with such a landlord.

Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Compound of things last year, firs I blew the motor in my motorhome out in Washington last May, had it hauled home. My sons helped me pull the engine, and got a remanufactured one to replace. It took al summer as they started taking it apart out there and all was in a big pile, then had the transmission rebuilt, along with the driveshaft. We had to order parts as we found the need, most had to come right from Workhorse, for proper fitment, lucky my one son works for a Cat dealer that fixes trucks also, so got a lot at discount. It is back in use now. To top that off I come down with Phemonia in march, take a long time to get over that, still have shortness of breath, but doing. So haven't been on computer much.............Curt

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
It's ALIVE!!! (^)

Tony, Rick gave you some good advice. Cash is king and will usually get a better deal.

Hi Rick, been missing your activity on this forum. Some years ago a motorcycle club buddy recommended a S.C Johnson product. Just bombed the machine shop. RAID MAX® MESS FREE DRY FOGGER
The 24X40 Steel shed gets it next. Plus a canister vac to suck up the rodent feces.

Other than that I am slothful. I got work to do in the shop, but that sloth gets in my way. Last thing got done was a refurbish of a new to me Tadpole bike.

It's to hear from you too Curt. Sounds like you are busy.

Tom

Reactions: Tony01