Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tom this mileage is only my guess, predicated on riding a lot with one of these battery packs and a lot less using two packs, one in fake gas tank and one in the saddlebags. Also I like to compare range at 18 to 20 mph average. We have lots of hills in every direction so this is a pretty nice speed to average and calculate battery range in my area of riding. My weight is about 155 and the bike is 170ish with two batteries and 182 with three. I consistently manage 25 to 30 miles on one battery and running two packs seems to bear that out.

The three batteries add 34 lbs total, so just riding in town one or two batteries will be used. I've put a lot of miles on this bike over the last couple of years and like it.

It has plenty of power to pull the side hack too.

Rick C.
damn that’s heavy. I read your post and said to myself I gotta weigh out my bike. 166lbs. I’ll weigh the 3.55kwh battery when I have it out again, using the method you said, weigh the man then the man holding the item.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I can also cheat and go a few blocks to a local grain scale to weigh both bike and myself. It's open 24hours, 7 days.

It's not just a heavy bike it's a big bike too 53" wheelbase 3"x26" tires and all heavy wall steel frame for real strength. It's not fun to pedal this one! She scoots pretty good with just 3k watts on 48v and is kinda bullet proof dependable at that level, easy to pump up current and or voltage but long term issues develop with high output use. I really like dependable and no fuss riding and maintenance. So speed isn't a big factor with me.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom you're absolutely correct as much as 70 lbs (not including extra batteries) was required to mirror the look of a vintage 1912 to 1915 Harley V twin. This look was the reason for this build and I'm frankly surprised that it's also capable of speeds equal to those advertised for Harley V twin road bikes of that era, and my Ol' Crow doesn't leak or burn oil and starts without kich, pushing or needing choke or ignition advance. Gas mileage is unlimited. Also I don't have to take out a second mortgage on my home and can ride it daily. 95 percent of those who see it think it's the real deal and I've not even finished with the motor details yet. Oh yeah it's got a great muffler, "Quiet grey fellow" for sure.

To this point it's one of my favorite builds ever, if not the favorite including, motorcycles, cars and trucks...not just motor bicycles.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I’ve been following Ricks build for a while and I’m well aware of the dead weight. Totally worth it. Mine has it too in the form of tank outlines on a bike that doesn’t need one. I have a buddy who builds as well but he doesn’t care about looks like many other ebikers, and I do recognize that my life in building would be far easier if I didn’t care either. In my case I’d estimate that dead weight to comprise only ~5lbs or so. Hitting the nice lines was a major challenge with the last one since I effectively f’d up in design. Oh well, at least I got something to ride.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tony, ya got to scope out Rick's Ol Crow.
There is a lot of non functional dead weight in the build for looks only.
Your last E B is stripped down to the basics.
Lots of personality in both E B's.

Tom
Tony technically your bike is space age compared to my Ol' Crow and I love it, just two very different cycle design genres. Plus yours in genuinely fast!

Rick C.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I've always loved board trackers and early bikes as well... I'm not a fan of dead weight though... Why I got into this is because it's about 100k cheaper than the real thing on display in museums... I spent some time at the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee a few years ago checking everything out... Also why I spent the last few years collecting everything motorized bicycle available... And a collection of motorcycle/moped parts to use in the builds... As for a V twin... I thought about useing 2 motors sharing a jack shaft configured to look like it... But I doubt I would do that... Having a 2/4T stroker engines around 100cc is where I'm going to focus... Nobody else that's shade tree is doing that and I'm not going to buy from anyone that sells something similar and spoil the fun of figuring things out... From having everything I can then put my spin on it and create something original... Some of stuff I have isn't available anymore... To be honest I post on the forum to catalog my builds to store the highlighted information for reference... If I printed out the 160gigabites of information I have it would be about 4' thick double sided and I would like to have a hard copy some day... But I can't justify taking the time to do that as of yet... As I build each project I'll have a manual for each one... Probably 6 different ones with spares... 20 motors not including the cases I haven't gotten to fit the cranks I have... For now I'm just going to focus on the wheels I need to build and some for my pedal bikes I have hubs for... the cranks I need converted... Then starting with the stuff that's been damaged from shipping and saving the best junk for last... Probably just break in a few motors and then shelf them for spares...

Mossy

May 20, 2022
New in the box from 1956... Used once to build a 12x20 camp in '58 on lake moxie by my grandfather
IMG_20230603_065739895.jpg
'mossie' after most of the pieces were pre cut and brought in...
And a Sears and roebuck drill that I don't know much about from about the same time...
I have to replace the cords and looking through the booklet they offered an electric hedge trimmer that would have been something that would rival a Texas chainsaw massacre
IMG_20230603_070718218.jpg

A little history about lake moxie... Ted Williams and Bud levit would fly in and to go fishing and stay at my uncle Elmer Williams camp before my time... I got the stories told many times... A few years before Ted died he was caught on surveillance camera taking a piss in the parking lot of LL Bean... Most of my relatives worked there and retired from there... He was a real A hole along with the rest of the Williams Crew and he used a corked bat to get those amazing records... And they fought constantly as the story went Ted got thrown out of camp and Bud levit had to save him from my uncle or he wouldn't have finished his last season and had to stay at my grandfather's place until they sobered up enough and flew out the next morning my grandma was a Williams but died a few years before I was born... After the big fight and everything my grandfather never let any alcohol in his place after that...

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I had one of those drills, but its windings were worn out not much power, yard sale. Yep it was a Porter Cable brand drill. The Craftsman drill I have with variable speed works well, have had it for ages no problem.

I did abuse, by not storing out of wet weather enough both my die grinder and angle grinder. Both were quite inexpensive like 30 dollars. HF switches in the tools were the weak spot. I went looking for the same stuff again at HF and the price for angle grinder are about the same, but not the 4 an 1/2 amp die grinder. Now it is 79.99, so I could use a 25% off coupon for one item. Now it is Hercules brand not Chicago Electric that HF is selling.

Other places to look I just find 30 day return Ebay. So maybe 60.00 I fork over to HF to have a new tool. Major Brands 150.00 to 300.00, I don't think I am needing.

If I am already using a speed control that is separate with a switch, I suppose I could hot wire the tools, but it seems very dangerous. Your likely to forget no matter how big a warning you put on the tool. Watching a nightmare instead of 60 bills for a new tool, I choose new tool. Getting a generic switch and epoxy it to the tool probably bad idea also. They no longer make the Chicago Electric die grinder at HF sold, parts probably were never sold for it either.

MT

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Screenshot_20230707-213558.png

I'm really happy I got this coming...
I've been researching spokes and everything that goes with it... The 11ga rolling dies are obsolete... So I was thinking I might be able to use a 12 ga die just not tighted down because there all 56tpi if I can't get the proper length 11ga..
The pugeot hubs are 2.5 spokes and the 19" rims are 3.0 or 3.5 10ga so some mix and match with some bigger holes in the hubs same with the xlfd sturmey archer front drums... Im really glad I took the summer to figure this out because it's a $1000 in spokes i really want to get it right...
Screenshot_20230707-213558.png

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Wheelmaster Rims came in yesterday... Morrow coasters, Bendix coasters, sturmey drums, and a blue band kick back 2 speed hub.. a pair of 5/16 front hubs... To be measured... 2 sets of 19" 10-11ga with xlfld sturmey and 103 hubs... 3 worksman 11ga wheels will get 103 hubs
Need spokes...
The thing to think about is not all rims the same size are going to be the same spokes depends on how there made... Cross 3 and the spoke nipple length make a difference...
11ga is the only ??? I have hopefully I can get them in the right length and a few spares...
I'm going to get a few more worksman coaster rears anyway while I still can...

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The bike shop is going to measure for spoke length... But they want $100 per wheel to build them... So I'm going to take a swing at it... Ballance stand etc... There's no way I'm paying $1800 for something I can do if it takes me all winter to figure out... Maybe get one set done by them to verify that the spoke length is right and no problems with that future potential work leveraged on it... Then give it go... Basket weaving some day if like it ;)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
IMG_20230711_152126.jpg
IMG_20230711_193137.jpg

MT
[/QUOTE]
I had one of those drills, but its windings were worn out not much power, yard sale. Yep it was a Porter Cable brand drill. The Craftsman drill I have with variable speed works well, have had it for ages no problem.

I did abuse, by not storing out of wet weather enough both my die grinder and angle grinder. Both were quite inexpensive like 30 dollars. HF switches in the tools were the weak spot. I went looking for the same stuff again at HF and the price for angle grinder are about the same, but not the 4 an 1/2 amp die grinder. Now it is 79.99, so I could use a 25% off coupon for one item. Now it is Hercules brand not Chicago Electric that HF is selling.

Other places to look I just find 30 day return Ebay. So maybe 60.00 I fork over to HF to have a new tool. Major Brands 150.00 to 300.00, I don't think I am needing.

If I am already using a speed control that is separate with a switch, I suppose I could hot wire the tools, but it seems very dangerous. Your likely to forget no matter how big a warning you put on the tool. Watching a nightmare instead of 60 bills for a new tool, I choose new tool. Getting a generic switch and epoxy it to the tool probably bad idea also. They no longer make the Chicago Electric die grinder at HF sold, parts probably were never sold for it either.

MT
I bought with coupon from HF the Hercules Die Grinder 4amp job and will use the speed control that before when I was using on the old die grinder.

For the Angle Grinder I got Bauer 7amp job for very little cost with separate coupon.

I am thinking it is good to have these tools, but thinking about my bike with shocks in front fork but hard tail for rear wheel, I have to rethink where I should be riding it. The rear wheel has a rim out of round. Or at least the tire shows a bump at one spot on the tread a little bit. Spokes look OK.

It was 5 years ago I ground the valve stems to get the 3.5hp Briggs to start better when valve lash was too small, especiall in hot weather.

I think the compression stroke might have the same problem again. Intake valve staying open too long again. The compression stroke is right after intake stroke. When intake valves open for too long a time happens, intake valve allows wrong way pressure making venturi effect in carb. So, you see it spits some of the time fuel/air mixture the wrong way and at the paper air filter wetting it.

This prevents enough air getting into the charge after enough wetting of the paper air filter. I turned the filter upside down as can be done. But it is stained enough where is time to get a new filter again.

Not sure how many times I can grind the valve stem tip, but getting stuck on a hot day was rectified last time by adjusting the valves that way.

Other thing I figured out was one chain I have with the dual chain jack shafts, the one from engine/clutch to top jackshaft was getting where it was not moving smoothly. This clutch I got did not have enough room to fit an allen wrench to tighten the set screw on the clutch. The clutch that was given to me may have had the bell replace that was a bit bigger in one dimension.

I was able to see where someone had ground a spot on the edge of the bell to compensate and allow tightening the screw if you turn the bell to that position.

The key in the keyway which was somewhat loose, and the set screw is not use, means you have just the end of the engine crankshaft bolt keeping it together. It being this way had at low near idle rpm where clutch was starting to grab shake the chain excessively.

An over size key ground to be snug with set screw on key and also crankshaft end bolt is what up to do now. I hope the sprockets are not damaged and will get to it for the next ride.

Oh yea, the bike tires are really not made to work in silty trails and roads. Scary and stopped and walked over rock maybe 1 to 2 time the size of a pomelo. I walked 10 feet over these sharp rock pushing my bike with engine off.

Hard time starting engine but did the road loop OK. Then back to camp where the tube was half deflated in a perfectly good tire. It was not a puncture but a pinched dried out tube material. Glad I did not fall with the air some what deflated. No walking the bike with flat tire or repairing on the trails.

MT

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hercules Die Grinder is way better than the Chicago Electric Die Grinder. The Hercules is much better balanced and can run without my separate speed control at full speed or with the speed control.

No load test only so far. The Bauer Angle Grinder also very good tested also no load.

Just too many mosquitoes to want to spend time out there right now.

I only have 90 day warranty and did not buy the extra coverage. The die grinder instructions has a parts list. Does that mean I can buy a switch? I mean after warranty is over and if it needs it. Anyway I did get quite a lot of use out of the old tools.

MT

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Cali has mosquitoes? Oh wait it's Lightening bugs you ain't got. My Westminster, Cali cousins used to freak out at.
My Dremel, 3rd in 50 years moves a lot of metal.
Gotta flex shaft Dumore I bought at an auction hanging on a peg board hook too.
What's ya doing MT?

Tom

Reactions: EZL and fasteddy

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I'm not sure, but hope soon I can have myself getting try at having some of the donut things in my neck not messing with my hand pain.

Fixing up my motorbike I can find some time an windsurfing when wind is back.

The Dremel I had I replaced with a variable speed, not just high med low. The one before used a expendable safety if too much torque on the tool. A nylon spline that would melt would empty my pocket for replacement part. Why not a real clutch?

Standard an Metric Allen Wrench sets I should take them out of the package and inspect in case something is not good.

MT