Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom 2 months behind no notifications, sorry for the loss of yourfriend...

I'm still adding tools and working on the shop
New grinder for dedicated tool shaping and sharpening plus a new benchtop drill on the way. Also adding stub drills for my small mill. I quite often run out of column using jobber length on the mill. The new bench top drill will get lots of use. The old one is just pretty used up and not accurate any longer. I plan on mounting new bandsaw blades and belt/disc grinder pads tomorrow. Then calibrate my lathe and mill. Hope they're on the money already.

Rick C.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Tom 2 months behind no notifications, sorry for the loss of yourfriend...

I'm still adding tools and working on the shop
New grinder for dedicated tool shaping and sharpening plus a new benchtop drill on the way. Also adding stub drills for my small mill. I quite often run out of column using jobber length on the mill. The new bench top drill will get lots of use. The old one is just pretty used up and not accurate any longer. I plan on mounting new bandsaw blades and belt/disc grinder pads tomorrow. Then calibrate my lathe and mill. Hope they're on the money already.

Rick C.
He’s back! Love stubbys to skip spotting sometimes.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey Tony, cobalt index of 29 and life time warranty, not inexpensive and I picked up a set of center drills and five step drills all same brand. My old step drills I'll learn to sharpen with I never tried to sharpen those. Drills, mills and lathe tools don't need a machine or holder, just quite a bit of magnification and illumination...

Latest adult education class is metal engraving, not etching, real graving. Fun stuff to fool with when I get old.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Center drills were only to create a center point of a workpiece supported by a live center of a lathe tailstock. And for the point to fracture in a work piece, making a hole pattern take longer than quoted.
The NC and CNC era brought us these very effective Stubby drill spotters.

I made a full set of center drills with the points ground off and the center section ground away deeper than the length of the center point to trepan more metal and be able to pick out the chattered point and save the workpiece.
Stubby/spotting drills took me thirty years to understand, and the good of spotting drilling locations in a milling machine. When the stub / spotting drill has a split point there is no flat spot/unpointed spotting point for a drill to wander in.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
It is good to see this thread active again.
I am out in the shop almost daily, but just to make kindling for the woodstove. Everything in the shop is a state of suspended animation, but for turning on the Zenith radio tuned to NPR. Opening the adjacent cabinet door with the September1971 Playboy Gate Fold of Crystal Smith pinned inside.
She is my muse.
Wearing red white and blue stars and stripes bell bottom pants. She had pretty feet and you can guess the rest.

Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good explanation Tom. I've a special interest in stubs for use in mini mills to gain clearance for tall work pieces held in bigger vise and/or using my rotary table with a chuck or round vise. It can be a real challenge fixturing on small hobby machines because of limited column height, but if they added height the machine mass would need to be increased to retain a semblance of rigidity. They are what they are...hobby machines with real limitations.

The tooling is from Drill Hog out of Montana. They have a full line of quality drills including aircraft lengths, numbered, lettered, jobber etc.

I shot my tool budget for the Spring during the last ten days, but worth it to get more use from my machines.

This is a super thread Tom so I hope we keep it alive and active....

Rick C.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
It is good to see this thread active again.
I am out in the shop almost daily, but just to make kindling for the woodstove. Everything in the shop is a state of suspended animation, but for turning on the Zenith radio tuned to NPR. Opening the adjacent cabinet door with the September1971 Playboy Gate Fold of Crystal Smith pinned inside.
She is my muse.
Wearing red white and blue stars and stripes bell bottom pants. She had pretty feet and you can guess the rest.

Tom
Got to love the 70's

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
My mini mill, band saw and belt grinder are also Wen and have served me well. They stock parts and consumables stateside too. Their machine manuals are great, with actual part of numbers and exploded pictorals of each. Very detailed information well thought out and clearly explained. In good English.

Rick C.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
What does this group know about the HF media blaster? My wife gave me one for my birthday, it’s the 110 lb. I’ve watched a few videos but have never used this type, I have used the cabinet type. There’s a lot of mixed reviews, I think a lot of people try to blast with an air compressor that doesn’t supply the air needed for the tool. I’ll try it on my shop compressor and see how it does, if needed I can connect my compressor I use for nail guns inline and run both.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
What does this group know about the HF media blaster? My wife gave me one for my birthday, it’s the 110 lb. I’ve watched a few videos but have never used this type, I have used the cabinet type. There’s a lot of mixed reviews, I think a lot of people try to blast with an air compressor that doesn’t supply the air needed for the tool. I’ll try it on my shop compressor and see how it does, if needed I can connect my compressor I use for nail guns inline and run both.
I've done sand blasting and at the time we had 2 commercial Ingersoll compressors twin cylinders and 150gal. Tanks could barely keep up... At freightliner doing frames with one of those hf rigs that held a 50# bag of beauty... the volume of air is just staggering... But if you have a large tank you can charge like a 200gal propane tank it would take a while to fill but give you the volume to do a few hours of blasting before you have to stop and let the compressor catch up... I don't think any one tank or compressor would do the job...

Reactions: fasteddy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Sand blasting for small jobs I've made one from a Gatorade bottle with a blow gun I heated up and got stuck through a hole I drilled below the threads with a slot ground out of the tube to pick up the medium... Fill up the bottle and put the cap on and you have to refill it constantly but it's not going to burn up a compressor... Worked great for tight spaces... I ruined a few blow guns getting it together but they are cheap... Water separator is something you will need... Running those big compressors would have about 2gal each of water from a day of useing it...

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
I’ve used one similar to the HF one . I have a single stage 60 gal compressor and it kept up just fine. Problem with these is you will have fine sand everywhere and silica sand is cancerous. Make sure you have a good respirator and hood.I much prefer my cabinet blaster, but I can’t fit a full frame in it.

Last edited: