Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Nuther 3" of squeaky dry sugar fine snow, temps single digit all day.
Diesel after three cycles of glow plugs, pert near didn't go. Made it to the township with the garbage
That's with all the cold weather additives in it. Things are getting tough for wildlife too. Wild turkey hen came in first time this year. Scratching and picking sunflower seeds from the plowed up snowbank.
Can't keep up with Curt for cold, but hey, he lives up by Frost Bite Falls Minnesota. :D
Temp must be dropping fast, house is popping.
Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Logs wash up on the beach with high tide and storms that they hit and bent the two lower fence posts. The lowest post I did not get a picture of the spring that used to be at the bottom one before I suppose the weld came un-done. It was that way with the spring for a year or more though, so crummy weld did work some. I was thinking the spring probably did not break, just the weld (if you can call it that), see close up image. For a quick fix they were probably seeing needing bringing some heavy weld O2 and gas or arc (but that needs electricity). They I see sawed off the spring which was probably holding on the lower weld and came undone on the top weld. That meant the fence post tube could slip out of the spring. It might have during these last storms. I see that the pvc pipe if was the right size could have replaced the spring and been glued on. The inside diameter not matching maybe led them to them to split it and use hose clamps. I'm not sure my 3500 continuous gen and 130-amp MIG could have welded that stuff, but I think maybe. I got a 1/4-inch steel welded, even though that is above its real rating, I used slower feed and back and forth to up it some to 1/4. Just the cliff trail to the beach, who is going to carry it down and back up?
IMG_20210217_173954596_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210217_173142950.jpg
IMG_20210217_173201300.jpg

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I remember in the eighties when I was an installer for Atlanta gas and light they used a torch set to weld everything, all of their meter sets were great looking welds. I bet a guy with like talent could repair it and make it look good. I at one time was a fairly good welder with stick or mig, then I tried the torch method, it's not as easy as it looked.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
You can say that, about torch welding ! I've never considered myself a welder, per se, but could always get the job done. Soldering was my thing all day, most every day. But, with some reproductions of old iron items, torch welding gave a much more acceptable look. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, they were sold as reproductions. Like a lot of you fellas say, "practice, practice, practice" And you speak the truth. Thanks for the dialogue.
Dan

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
True enough guys gas welding technique was the fore runner of TIG welding & requires practice. The rail post repair shown is a good example of an easy repair made difficult by location. A pair of small gas bottles and torch easy, quick and cheapest way to repair that post well. I had a 22.5 kw generator and 400 amp portable (truck mounted) with 300 foot of 00 copper leads that I could reach out with, but many thousands of dollars invested; so small jobs like this one I'd say $250. plus mileage two ways...not a good idea.

Side note if you first learn gas torch welding TIG, MIG or stick welding is much easier. Dan the best metal soldering I've seen is from sheet metal fab shops you guys rock! Some of the worst welds, solder/brazing I've run across is that done in automotive body shops (last 40 years) too much grinding and body putty relied on to cover poor metal work. This didn't use to be the case. Most shops now rely on complete panel bolt on for "repairs" & don't have the necessary skills to do much else. I grew up watching body men use lead to fill and shape rather than "Bondo" unhealthy but beautiful craftmanship to skim, not fill, damaged panels. Sheet metal work use to be a real art in common everyday workplaces. It's still an art but normally only used for artistic purposes. It saddens me to see the loss of these. skilled craftsmen that took pride in their daily work

Rick C.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Big name body shops here just replace panels, that’s why I took my 50 to a older gentleman that has been doing body work as a career. He cut out any damage and welded in patches, minimal body filler was used. He is so good he can be talking to me and rubbing his hand over a fender and locate and circle dips or high spots. He stopped and told me to feel a spot he found, I couldn’t see it but felt it.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Correctamundo Greg, I was fortunate to enter the "artistic" metal fabrication gig when it was possible pursue it as a livelihood. Not a big money business but the "daily" satisfaction was a big part of it. I'm sure there are a few behind us, but the next generations are not much concerned about how or who produced something and don't seem to place much value in that. It's the way things go and I never take it personally. Being able to "succeed" at something you have pride in was a big part of it all for me. I can tell from conversations here there are some of you with skills and knowledge that is "over the top". And it's enjoyable to hear about it all. Thanks to all you fellas for sharing
Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well, thanks for the interest, but I am not aware of any on this computer. Some of Luddites were and are late to the game. I've been outta the game about 15 yrs. Spent the last 7-8 yrs after helping out in a friend's machine shop. I'll see if my wonderful wife will photo some of the stuff we have in this old house. I'm not sure how to post them, but we'll see what I can do. This isn't the correct thread for that kinda stuff is it?

Dan

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
True enough guys gas welding technique was the fore runner of TIG welding & requires practice. The rail post repair shown is a good example of an easy repair made difficult by location. A pair of small gas bottles and torch easy, quick and cheapest way to repair that post well. I had a 22.5 kw generator and 400 amp portable (truck mounted) with 300 foot of 00 copper leads that I could reach out with, but many thousands of dollars invested; so small jobs like this one I'd say $250. plus mileage two ways...not a good idea.

Side note if you first learn gas torch welding TIG, MIG or stick welding is much easier. Dan the best metal soldering I've seen is from sheet metal fab shops you guys rock! Some of the worst welds, solder/brazing I've run across is that done in automotive body shops (last 40 years) too much grinding and body putty relied on to cover poor metal work. This didn't use to be the case. Most shops now rely on complete panel bolt on for "repairs" & don't have the necessary skills to do much else. I grew up watching body men use lead to fill and shape rather than "Bondo" unhealthy but beautiful craftmanship to skim, not fill, damaged panels. Sheet metal work use to be a real art in common everyday workplaces. It's still an art but normally only used for artistic purposes. It saddens me to see the loss of these. skilled craftsmen that took pride in their daily work

Rick C.
Rick, now the trend in body repair is gluing in replacement panels, no welding or spot welding required. I spoke to one of the auto body instructors at the college where I work and he was telling me that some auto manufacturer actually puts their whole body together that way, glue no weld.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Rick, now the trend in body repair is gluing in replacement panels, no welding or spot welding required. I spoke to one of the auto body instructors at the college where I work and he was telling me that some auto manufacturer actually puts their whole body together that way, glue no weld.
Glue did fine on the plastic model car, boats, and planes I built as a hobby. Who would have know it is strong enough for life size?