Bike builders that have machine tools/shops

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Not a lot going on today, small bit of tidying up. Tip of the berg.;)
Waiting for saddle clamp bolt. I turned my attention clamps to mount the Indian tool box.
The gap between the underside of the top tube and the top surface of the gas tank is just slightly greater than .300" = 7.62mm and the of the top tube including paint is 1.010" = 25.65mm. So I bored a bar of 6061T6 aluminum to a I.D. of 1.010" and a O.D. of 1.610.
Parted and faced to a .687" =17.45mm.
Before splitting in two, I will spot drill and tap two 10-32 tapped holes per side. spacing is going to because I want to use counterbored holes in the top side clamp halves yet to be machined. I hate brake outs on counterbores but it does happen when space is limited.
Anyway, todays photo is the bottom clamps being turned and bored in my Logan lathe. Before most of the above is done I will turn the piece around and turn the section to clamp the tool box tabs. Dimensions to be developed.
Tom

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hard to mark Pete & your comments Tom with a "like" except for the fact that I admire you both for being good care givers. I've seen the opposite side of the coin and it's quite corroded and worthless. I like updates about your daily lives good times and bad. In my thoughts and prayers.

Rick C.
Your heart is in the right place Rick, I know where you are at on the likes. I know what your intention is, surely the best.
Tom

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tom your tool box addition is a seldom seen feature on the tribute bikes and I'll follow your build with great interest. The tank tool box was a fairly common addition on the early bikes & I've no idea why they aren't replicated more often today.

Dale's Wheels Through Time museum home page shows a nice example of a tool box mounted on a great Excelsior twin. Each make had a box with slight variations; the barracks style lid on the X-bike is kind of cool.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Having a top bar exposed, like your setup, allows the use of tube clamps to hold the box in place. A "saddle channel" (like is used on fuel tanks to top mount them) fabricated in the base of the tool box will allow a nice surface fit to the flat top fuel tank. Just one way I see that is mechanically quite strong & also fits flush. The "channel" bump shouldn't take up more than 3/4" x 11/4" width of interior space in the bottom of the box as thin wall tube can be used.

Rick C.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Got a change of mind going on as how to attach the Indian tool box. So the photo of the bored and turned aluminum bar stock is no longer the plan and I may take that post to eliminate confusion. I never really did like what I was doing. Plan “B”. I have 27” of 3mm x 16mm stainless strips.
Not sure of the nomenclature, arched strap flanked by clamping flanges. Thanks Rick, Saddle Clamps.
So that is the plan. Needing a die to support the steel as it is pressed with a form “punch” and needing to be adjustable for top and bottom are not the same radius. My never throw nothing away occasionally pays off.
16 years ago I took a CNC programing course at a local community college. They had a amateur machine shop class and all their not so good parts plus local job shop discards ended up in a lugger bin and I did a lot of diving before class.
Amongst the discards were less than perfect 123 blocks not hardened which I will use as the die.
Made adjustable by tying the blocks together with threaded rod. Top “punch” will be what I have in house. Getting the flanges formed parallel to the center axis will be the challenge I expect.

Other photo are 5C expanding mandrills made in Japan (I hope) that came by post today. Been on my wish list for some time'
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,
I hope you wife's myeloma is in remission. Is there a chance that the bone will regenerate and heal or has the cancer damaged it beyond that.

Your right to be cautious about the virus. I heard someone who is recovering from a severe bout of it talk about what it was like and it is not something that goes away. She is in her twenties and an athlete and is now left with severely damaged lungs that will affect what she does for the rest of her life.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Hard to mark Pete & your comments Tom with a "like" except for the fact that I admire you both for being good care givers. I've seen the opposite side of the coin and it's quite corroded and worthless. I like updates about your daily lives good times and bad. In my thoughts and prayers.

Rick C.
Some Website have Icons like Facebook that show various Like symbols. This site does not have sad or other ideas for feelings.... so I do believe that we know what was meant even this being so. Wish all Well!

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Steve, hoping the last piece of the Tadpole puzzle will be in place soon.
Rental garages here in Alnwick are rare as rocking horse sh-t. There are four different locations in town with such garage 'blocks', one only 50 yards away, which would be handy if there was one available there. But there isn't at this moment. I really must ring up and get on the waiting list, but the Town Council staff - most of who are in lockdown at home - are busy with more urgent stuff right now like organizing collection and home delivery of medical supplies, food bank distribution, etc. Even though we haven't needed their services, they ring us every week to check we're OK.

Guys, really appreciate all the well wishes for Jen and I (and Tom & Mona) but please don't be under the impression we're having a hard time. Jen's journey down the road with dementia started way back in Oct 2013 and we've had ample time to adapt and adjust to living with the condition, so we're coping fine. The clue is I haven't yet had to ask for any home help to intervene. (Regular assessment of Jen ensured items such as a wheelchair and bath lift were supplied when needed). Nor have I ever felt the need for any kind of respite. Truth be told, the only time Jen and I have ever spent apart during the last 46 years of living/working together was when she was being looked after in hospital and the care home last year, recovering after she fell and broke her pelvis. And I spent 9 weeks living in a hotel due to our house sale. During that time I was like a fish out of water without Jen around 24/7.
The kind of 'housebound' situation sprung on everyone due to the current Covid19 lockdown happened so quickly, folks worldwide must be struggling to come to terms with it. We, on the other hand, have been on a much more gradual downhill trend towards a more indoor focused lifestyle, so we've noticed little or no change to our daily routines. Our new flat here in Alnwick town centre suits our lifestyle perfectly - apart from the no garage thing. Being included in forums like this is another big plus. As long as we have an internet connection and the postal services manage to keep up with delivery of my on-going bike build parts, all's good. Hope everyone else is coping and managing to stay safe.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Tom,
I hope you wife's myeloma is in remission. Is there a chance that the bone will regenerate and heal or has the cancer damaged it beyond that.

Your right to be cautious about the virus. I heard someone who is recovering from a severe bout of it talk about what it was like and it is not something that goes away. She is in her twenties and an athlete and is now left with severely damaged lungs that will affect what she does for the rest of her life.

Steve.
Steve,
Mona's Myeloma by her last lab test is under control, bone regeneration was going on. and her Oncologist seemed pleased with the therapy he chose. That I think gave Mona a false belief that she was cured as she was mostly symptom free, and she started to do some strenuous yard work and it has taken a toll on her to such a degree that she has been prescribed painkiller and is waiting for an appointment to be set up for additional tests and x-rays. I got her to recognize she is not who she was a year ago.
Tom

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area

Rick C.
It’s an “I’ve seen this” button. I believe expanded like buttons aka “reactions” are evil as they attract the dopamine addicts and detract from the value of content. You don’t see customs being built on the other MB forum.

I see this thread. Tom & Pete; you guys are in my thoughts daily.