Bicycle Fork to Tripletree

GoldenMotor.com

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Someone on this forum told me to keep my tools handy because these bikes are never really finished. Here's an example. Thought I had this bike where I wanted. When my HS engine wore out, I swapped it out for a 66cc HT. With the extra power and speed, my front end wasn't stable enough. Took the mountain bike fork off and am replacing it with the front end from a OCC Stingray. Here is a photo of the old fork compared to the much stouter triple tree. Will have to replace handlebars since old set is knurled in the middle for thhttp://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85397&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1491790237e goose neck mount. Ideas? Will go with larger LED headlight.http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1491790083umb=1&d=1491790060

Attachments

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Yep. Fabricated the wheel rockers, the spring shock units, and the top spring mounts. Getting new handlebars and 180mm brake disc ( for better clearance )early this week. Will post more photos as soon as they're mounted. Thanks for looking. Thinking about bending the pipe down level to look like a scrambler. What do you think?

Attachments

Last edited:

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Progress on Rebuild

Spent two days adding new bars from my parts bin. Forgot how tough customizing cables can be. All were too long because of high bars originally installed. Got all of the cables cut and the throttle mounted. This bar is drilled and tapped for endcap mirrors. Have to figure that out. Tomorrow will be install headlight and gauges. Need to manufacture a lighting coil to drive LEDs. Stay tuned. oh yeh, bent pipe to make it lower so I don't scorch anything valuable. Left grip is just stuck on slightly because it doesn't match. Will take a test drive tomorrow after I re-attach the wiring.

Attachments

Last edited:

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Hi Exseler. You might not see it again if it doesn't work! If it doesn't work, all I have to do is unbolt it and move the axle to the original mounts on the tubes. I'm counting on it to work so the thing doesn't shake my bones loose.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Looks great, I'de put my money on it working great!

Hi Exseler. You might not see it again if it doesn't work! If it doesn't work, all I have to do is unbolt it and move the axle to the original mounts on the tubes. I'm counting on it to work so the thing doesn't shake my bones loose.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks, Russel. Got the headlight and speedo mounted today. Will post photos later. Didn't get to the wiring, that's tomorrow. Cosmetic improvements coming. This rebuild is like a start from scratch.scratg

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Hi Tater. Do you feel that way because of looks or some other reason? A triple tree is always stronger than a goose neck, that's why vintage bikes made the change. I was getting a good bit of flexing from the original mountain bike fork at higher speed. I'm going to test out new front end shortly for comparison. If change isn't more stable, I can always go back. Will post photos of the headlight and speedo install later today.

Feb 2, 2017
California
Yeah man, I just don't like that chopper look going on...... but that's just a matter of opinion. And I don't think triple trees look good with the rear look of your bicycle. Me, I like the old fashion style rather than these new bling bling ape hanging style handlebars with huge trucker mirrors and what have you, hahaha.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
All good points. I agree that the front no longer matches the back, so I'll be redesigning the rear soon. I'm learning that style and function don't always work together. I'm better at function than style. Some guys on this forum are master at both, but I'm not one of them. So, back to the drawing board!

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks, KC. I've always enjoyed your builds on here. Made a little headway today despite a late start. Installed Stewart Warner speedo ( its so big it makes my bike look like an old Vincent ) and LED headlight. Had to customize my speedo cable because it had metric connections and my speedo is sae. Worked out. Hit a lazy streak and haven't even tried out my new frontend yet. Thinking about cosmetic changes, will lose the chrome rear fender and the rack. Haven't come up with replacements. Need to stop farting around on my Sachs and get back to work!

Attachments

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I wouldn't change a thing at this point. Looks Fantastic! Your workmanship shines. Many people could only hope to do as good a job as that.

A side note... W Walls are a bugger to keep clean, you already know that though. It really does look great.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A side note... W Walls are a bugger to keep clean, you already know that though. It really does look great.
Actually on a shifter, especially an internal hub shifter, white wall tires stay very clean, it's direct drive bikes that toast the rear left white wall.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks, Allen. Glad you like it. I've been working on it for several years and it will never be "finished" as long as I keep getting new ideas for mods. These Bontragers have tough tidy whities. A little spray of simple green and they're like new. You're right KC, they don't get dirty from the hub. I need to learn to keep my greasy hands off of them though! Any ideas for a front fender? I have two shortys and one full moped fender on the shelf.