Best tips before the build.

GoldenMotor.com

ddoormatt

Sep 1, 2019
I'm very new to the scene of motorized bicycles. I've always known how to work on bikes before and i have seen these and always wanted to make one. I do have a bike that I just replaced the tires,inter tubes and brakes on. One of my relatives had it and never rode it so I fixed it up and it works great now. The bike is a Giant Cypress. I am not sure what year it is but it is very old and has a full steel frame and fork.

This is the motor kit I was considering.
https://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engin...otors-silver-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

Is there anything I should know before building my first build? Any tips or recommendation or criticism are appreciated.

Reactions: JudeTheRandomDude

ddoormatt

Sep 1, 2019
It is currently late for me. I will post a good photo of the bike for more reference tomorrow.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I'm very new to the scene of motorized bicycles. I've always known how to work on bikes before and i have seen these and always wanted to make one. I do have a bike that I just replaced the tires,inter tubes and brakes on. One of my relatives had it and never rode it so I fixed it up and it works great now. The bike is a Giant Cypress. I am not sure what year it is but it is very old and has a full steel frame and fork.

This is the motor kit I was considering.
https://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engin...otors-silver-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

Is there anything I should know before building my first build? Any tips or recommendation or criticism are appreciated.
Hello ddoor, and Welcome to the forum.
Well, I have bought BB kits in the past and have been satisfied. Big, Faceless and High volume sales. You should be fine with that purchase unless you discover issues after receiving. I'm not sure about Customer Service I've seen good and bad concerning Bikeberry. My most recent purchase from them was a long 6 week wait. Consider this.
https://www.bicycle-engines.com/new-zeda-80-complete-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit-firestorm-edition/
A recent purchase here impressed me. Good looking clean casts, Nicely chromed cylinder.
As far as tips, thousands avail already posted here on this forum. Specifically - What I know - You have a bike (platform) and you havn't decided or received your kit yet. @ this point become familiar with and use the search feature right here on the forum. There is not a problem that has been had which hasn't been resolved through the wealth of info here. Read Read and Read.
Once you receive your kit, go through it and be certain all is there. Now - is your Giant a multi-speed bike? I assume it is. The most critical 1st step is getting that ragjoint rear sprocket as centered as possible. If you have an older junk fork or rear frame section I would suggest mounting that in a bench vice, spread the fork if you can then mount the wheel in it. Then do your sprocket install. It will be so much easier for you rather than trying to do between your knees. Show some pics of progress when possible.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: ddoormatt and FOG

ddoormatt

Sep 1, 2019
Hello ddoor, and Welcome to the forum.
Well, I have bought BB kits in the past and have been satisfied. Big, Faceless and High volume sales. You should be fine with that purchase unless you discover issues after receiving. I'm not sure about Customer Service I've seen good and bad concerning Bikeberry. My most recent purchase from them was a long 6 week wait. Consider this.
https://www.bicycle-engines.com/new-zeda-80-complete-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit-firestorm-edition/
A recent purchase here impressed me. Good looking clean casts, Nicely chromed cylinder.
As far as tips, thousands avail already posted here on this forum. Specifically - What I know - You have a bike (platform) and you havn't decided or received your kit yet. @ this point become familiar with and use the search feature right here on the forum. There is not a problem that has been had which hasn't been resolved through the wealth of info here. Read Read and Read.
Once you receive your kit, go through it and be certain all is there. Now - is your Giant a multi-speed bike? I assume it is. The most critical 1st step is getting that ragjoint rear sprocket as centered as possible. If you have an older junk fork or rear frame section I would suggest mounting that in a bench vice, spread the fork if you can then mount the wheel in it. Then do your sprocket install. It will be so much easier for you rather than trying to do between your knees. Show some pics of progress when possible.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the tips man. I'll probably get that bike kit because you recommended it.

ddoormatt

Sep 1, 2019
Oh on the kit options it asks what size sprocket I should get. Whats the difference between 36, 44 and 48 tooth sprockets and performance?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Oh on the kit options it asks what size sprocket I should get. Whats the difference between 36, 44 and 48 tooth sprockets and performance?
36 T are good for light people (150 or less) and strong modded motors. Used mostly for higher speed but you sacrifice low end torque. The 44's are the all around hands down best compromise for riders who need simply to get around town, also good when riding hilly areas. Now The 48s - The best of the 3 for low end torque and hilly areas. I run 44t on my 26" inch bike, My daily is a 29" onyx, I found a 48T on a 29" wheel is simply JOY. I @ 155lbs can charge up the steepest of hills and scoot about town with ease. My personal riding habit is from here to there, both my bikes 26" Huffy and the 29" Onyx will do 30 +---But top end speed is not where it at for me. I'm a from here to there type o guy and am perfectly happy @ 17- 20 mph. Factors to consider are your weight, your terrain and what you expect out of your bike. Also as a rule of thumb less teeth less torque potentially higher speed. More teeth more torque more climbing ability and quicker rolling starts. As a side note, If going long downhills no matter the sprocket size - pull in the clutch so as not to over rev the engine, this is especially important with a 48T sprocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddoormatt

ddoormatt

Sep 1, 2019
36 T are good for light people (150 or less) and strong modded motors. Used mostly for higher speed but you sacrifice low end torque. The 44's are the all around hands down best compromise for riders who need simply to get around town, also good when riding hilly areas. Now The 48s - The best of the 3 for low end torque and hilly areas. I run 44t on my 26" inch bike, My daily is a 29" onyx, I found a 48T on a 29" wheel is simply JOY. I @ 155lbs can charge up the steepest of hills and scoot about town with ease. My personal riding habit is from here to there, both my bikes 26" Huffy and the 29" Onyx will do 30 +---But top end speed is not where it at for me. I'm a from here to there type o guy and am perfectly happy @ 17- 20 mph. Factors to consider are your weight, your terrain and what you expect out of your bike. Also as a rule of thumb less teeth less torque potentially higher speed. More teeth more torque more climbing ability and quicker rolling starts. As a side note, If going long downhills no matter the sprocket size - pull in the clutch so as not to over rev the engine, this is especially important with a 48T sprocket.
Ok cool thanks for the info. I assumed something like that. I'll be purchasing the 44 probably. Thanks!

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Great tips bro i would like to add a few from my expieriences with motors is im always lokin to gain 1hp or a 1/2hp more with every thing i do so ive upgraded before i indtalled the motor on the bike man got one them low profile hi comp head the f2 thrust (now have the zeda88 expansion pipe much cleaner gain) ok thats starters then getting the ***** ass bloody rag mount to allign is a ***** straight up real talk **** that **** get a set of mags with pre drilled holes and some come with a sprocket 33tooth is the one i got its like this the **** lines up paid 160 **** the dumb **** ill not got back to spokes nemore if i can help it broke every rim i put on but im pulling a 4wheeled gorilla cart with full gardening equipment lawnmower and power tools pluss a 80lb pit bull ok so im currently on a 56 tooth rear sprocket because i need all tge torque i can get man this **** is heavy ,im a gardener got my own biz on a MOTORIZEDBICYCLE so dude i dont know it all yet but im working on it and these forums are the **** learnd hella from reading and participating ,good luck with the p.o.s nt carb fucker leaks like a ***** no cure unless you know majic baught yhe pwk 21mm racing series with power jet hella learning curve to jet this fucker right but worth it and one more thing the p.o.s tensoner **** that one get a spring one with a pulley wheel not the skate wheel and toss the spring mount a turnbuckle instead keeps it ridged and adjustable good luck fellow bicyclemotorist and may the force be with you ............peace

Reactions: allen standley

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Thanx fellow riders honestly this bicycle motor thing is more than a hoby for me its a way of life now f.u.c.k. pedaling drive a motorbike

PsychDoc

Sep 8, 2019
My $0.02- I bought a kit from BB- it arrived quickly and seemed like a reasonable price. Most of those kits are the same- all from china with a different sticker. I'm sure there are some minor differences in accessories that come with them. As far as BB goes- the customer service I experienced was great and terrible. It was easy to contact a real person- via email or phone- nice. However there were a couple parts that needed to be replaced as they were defective or wrong or missing- very minor, not a deal breaker- but it seems they don't know a cylinder head from a case cover- honestly. and don't even get me started about their knowledge regarding thread pitch-
I imagine most of the kits are fine- and as long as you don't need technical advice you should be ok.

Oh- Lewdog, you might want to talk to somebody about your anger issues ;)