Bearing troubles :(

GoldenMotor.com

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
Hi guys

Er dunno what you can suggest but, i just dismantled a chainsaw engine (no idea what make) to replace the gaskets, and took got as far as the crank housing, and all the bearings fell out on the con-rod linkage. I gathered them up, but am now stuck as to putting them back in!

Can you suggest anything?

Cheers

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hi guys

Er dunno what you can suggest but, i just dismantled a chainsaw engine (no idea what make) to replace the gaskets, and took got as far as the crank housing, and all the bearings fell out on the con-rod linkage. I gathered them up, but am now stuck as to putting them back in!

Can you suggest anything?

Cheers
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :)

Do not know too much about chain saw motors, but if you can find out the make and model....might be able to find a motor diagram online.

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
Well, i have absolutely no idea what make it is, and no one seems to know either. It has a walbro carb, and says made in italy?

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think that might be a EFCO/Olympyk motor....but not sure. You might want to take into a small engine repair shop, they should be able to help you out better.

I can see the serial # in the first pic I think

:ride:

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
I don't know about that motor? Is that metal shavings I see in the last two pics? If so.....thats a lot of shavings :eek:
Yeah, one of the screws was mpossible to get at, and i realised that there was an access hole that was filled up with saw dust, but unfortunately none of my tools fitted through, so i improvised and drilled it :rolleyes: , i'm gonna blast all the shavings off with the old compressor i think. :D

As for the serial number, here it is:

Last edited:

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
damn it, why did i not think of that? my dad suggested that i put the piston in the cylinder, remove half the crank case, then using tweezers, place each bearing in, tedious i know, but hey

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Bearing grease is your best friend in building bikes. It will burn out of a cylinder head without doing any damage to the engine but will hold things in place. I used it to keep my ring from moving when I reinstalled it.

Also to seal the intake gasket and I think exhaust gasket as well.

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
oh right, another thing, if one or two bearings are missing, will it make a significant difference? i'm not sure if i collected alll of them :S

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Looks like your crank is toast. You can press out the lower crank pin and have a new roller bearing installed. But make sure you true your crank before installing it. Another thing you can do is take it down to your local part store that specializes in chain saws, blowers or lawn equipment & see what they recommend.
Personally, I would just get a new motor. You might end up spending more just putting it back together. Because you'll need new bearings, rings, gaskets, seals and a new crank.
Good luck

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I agree i bought my last chainsaw motor 42cc running for 35bucks delivered. However a learning experience is also valuable. Nothing like seeing what something looks like inside to give you a sense of when to just toss it.

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
Looks like your crank is toast. You can press out the lower crank pin and have a new roller bearing installed. But make sure you true your crank before installing it. Another thing you can do is take it down to your local part store that specializes in chain saws, blowers or lawn equipment & see what they recommend.
Personally, I would just get a new motor. You might end up spending more just putting it back together. Because you'll need new bearings, rings, gaskets, seals and a new crank.
Good luck
damn i wasn't expecting all that :(, the ring looks ok, gaskets are fine, and whats wrong with the crank? haha

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
If the motor used two rings I would say give it a try. But its a single ring piston. I highly recommend installing a new ring. You won't regret it. The motor will run smother and have more power & torque. Also, from the look of the piston in the picture, It looks like a seized and blown up motor. I can see the ring stuck on the exhaust side of the piston.
Now that I got a closer looky at that racing crank...you'll probably still get another 2,000 mile on it.:D
J/Krotfl
I take back my last post about the crank. It looks like a one piece crank with no connecting rod pin.

Last edited:

domdomt

Sep 8, 2008
Awesome! I know this sounds really noobish, but i don't know what cc the motor is, how do i work this out?