arrow on piston

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by crassius, Sep 24, 2014.

1. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

got in some kits today with top end removed

put 4 together so far & found 2 with piston arrow pointing forward & 2 with arrow pointing back (with locating pins on intake side)

all from same supplier, all seem same as far as other h/w goes, all machined cranks

the point: never look at the arrow (if it has one)

2. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I never look at the markings for piston oreintation, I have found as you have they don't always mean the same thing. Installing the piston with the ring end pins toward the intake is what I do also. The one thing I have learned is never assume anything, check for yourself!

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

I have found the same thing from the same supplier. I concure about ring orientation. That's more important than a little arrow stamped into the piston.

This is one of those inconsistancies like carburetor jet sizes. I've found them to be nebulous. I never rely on the advertised/stamped or published size. Actually checking the orifice size is the only way to be sure of what you have.

Tom

4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see a lot of diff markings at the shop, but this is first time with all in one delivery.