GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
ARIZONA HB 2796

START_STATUTE
28-2516. Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
END_STATUTE

This link takes you to spookytooth's page on Arizona HB 2796

Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Governor Signs Bill

Thank You spooky tooth!

steve's bike

Apr 26, 2008
Omaha Nebraska
Apparently at least in Pima county it is against the law to ride a bicycle without ID. In 1999 a guy was arrested and spent the night in jail because he was riding he's bike without ID.

Are Cyclists Required to Carry Identification?
oh great!! yeah right am deaf here.. that has been fun to deal with cops, had that happen before and were THINK am playing deaf.. how you going deal with it? yeah.. just let them take you in and......... good lawyer deal with it.:-||

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was talking to my friend Richard who is a DPS officer and I was shocked that after two year's after the MB law has changed here in AZ he still doesn't know it.
Over the weekend he ticketed a MB rider for no insurance, no registration, no license, no light's, no turn signal's, no brake light. He said they guy was a real piece of work and he almost arrested him.
Well I got my friend upset with me with what I told him, I guess I was like the guy who got ticketed. I told him he who has the authority to inforce laws should know what the laws are. If he's is going to go around inforcing laws, he need's to educate himself on those laws. He did not take it well.

We had the same problem with the Tucson police dept. The officer's on the street had no ideal that the law for MB had changed. It took about a year and many complaint's from MB rider's before they got it.

I'm thinking the same thing must be going on with DPS. Well I sent my friend a copy of the law and he will take care of the ticket's so this guy will not have to go to court. He also said he will tell he's Srgt. so that other DPS officer will be informed of the new AZ MB law. But I dont think I will be invited to any BBQ until he cool's down. rotfl

Please remember, if you get stopped...no matter how wrong the officer is, don't give them a attitude all it does is make thing's worse for you. Fight them in court, when they lose it goes on there record and when they go to evaluation they have to answer for there mistakes.

CrankyPoodler

Aug 5, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
Just got ticketed by a TPD (Tucson Police Department) motorcycle traffic cop who apparently "knows the law very well" while on the way to a job interview. Here's my story...

I was clocked clocked going 24MPH in the bike lane (for you Tucsonans, going North on Campbell from Broadway, across from the UA during rush hour!) by a middle-aged ex-CHiPs extra with a dead rodent under his nose, who then proceeded to pull me over. Now, I had just passed by a UA campus police SUV before going through the radar gun of Tucson's finest [sic] and the young UA cop smiled and waved at me, obviously entertained by what I was riding. When we pulled over, the motorcycle cop pulled up right behind me (mind you, I dared not get off my bike all throughout) and, to my surprise, the UA campus SUV with the young, bright-eyed, mid-20's pseudoauthority at the wheel. Officer Mouse-stache walked up to me after talking quickly to someone on the other end, who obviously had no clue of what was about to happen. He then motioned to Officer Youngpup.

"License, registration, and proof of insurance, please."

"Sure thing," I said, grinning at the golden moment. I handed him my expired ID card (which I was planning on getting updated later that day - long story short, I have an ID card rather than a driver's license because, well, it's suspended). "I can't provide you with proof of insurance or registration because it isn't necessary for the bike."

"Well this is why I'm pulling you over. I understand the law about motorized bicycles here in Arizona and I clocked you going at 24MPH in the bike lane. You understand that law, correct?"

"Yes, officer. The law states that a bicycle with a 'helper motor' [motorized bicycle] is defined as a bike with an engine of 48cc or less and goes less than 20MPH. This bike is 48cc and does not exceed 20MPH."

Officer Youngblood came to my right side while Officer Rodentface stoof on my left. I'm still sitting on my bike. Cetainly a precaution to keep me from riding away. But I wasn't going to miss this chance, no way, even though I glanced over at the alleyways I could venture through to evade the dynamic duo and toyed with the idea, it was nice just to daydream for a split second.

"Well, I caught you doing 24MPH in the bike lane so I'm gonna hve to write you a ticket for that. Also, since your bike is now classified as a Class 3 moped, I will have to penalize you for failure to provide a driver's license, another for failure to provide registration information, and failure to provide proof of insurance. We will have to impound your vehicle as well. Now, is there anyone who can..."

"Sir," I interrupt, "I can assure you that even in the case of going 24MPH, I am going downhill and getting a draft from the passing cars. Regular bicyclis..."

"Sir," as he pulls out his almighty pointer finger of authority, "you do NOT talk back to an officer!" There was a slight pause, and Officer Ratlip's rodent waved in the gentle breeze. He obviously (and selectively) didn't hear what I was saying. "Keep your mouth shut and respect me while I'm talking to you about what is happening here." I'm going to contact the DMV and ensure that this bicycle is not registered. Just sit tight."

So I sat. Not tight, but I sat there with Officer Babyface. He glanced over the bike with his arms crossed, looking at the system for the tiny engine.

"So how many miles per gallon you get on this thing?" he asked. I was pleased that he did, as it also showed me that this young policeman for the university was either playing the "good cop" or is being shown the ropes by the older, more mature city cop. I figured the latter, so I continued to reply more fraternally.

"Gets about 100, 120 miles to the gallon. It's nice to only spend 3 dollars every two weeks on gas." The cop raised an eyebrow, careful not to let something like, "can't beat that" escape from him.

"And you said 49cc? How much did it cost?"

"'Bout $600." This got him to head-nod. "Had a little spill on it not too long ago, too."

"Did you get it from Spooky Tooth?" I snorted, amused that he knew Spooky Tooth.

"No, Got it from AB Powersports on Flowing Wells. But I have been to Spooky Tooth a few times. Good place."

Officer McMouse-stache called the young cop over to his bike. I sat there trying to listen to what they said to each other.

Old Cop: How's business lately?
Young Cop: Eh...
Old Cop: Slow, huh? Yep...

Usually I read the sunday comics, and my favorite character is from the Non-Sequitor panels. His name is Obviousman. If he was around, I'm sure he would've swooped in at that very moment.

They both walk back and take their previous positions. The old cop farts out a "This might be your lucky day. Apparently the DMV system is down or something... normally I'd impound the bike - which I've done to many bike just like this - and you'd have to get it out of impound which is about $150." The inevitable had struck. "But I am going to write you a ticket for failure to provide a driver's license and failure to provide evidence of financial responsibility."

"Officer, I say to you again, that the bike does not need to be registered and I do not require a license. It's in the Arizona Revised Statutes."

"Oh I know about the bill that passed. I could pull it up for you right now if you want to look at it." I denied it, as I was already quite late for my job interview.

"There's a bill about these things?" The young UA jedi asked over me, to the Sith lord.

"Yeah, a couple of years ago some guys from some store that sells these things *paraded* down to City Hall and got a bill passed to legalize these things in the streets. Well, they did it." Officer Geezer McRatface then looked at me. "Were you part of that whole thing, too?" He asked this in a condescending tone.

"No, sir, but I have well educted myself on these laws and abide by them."

"Well, you clearly haven't here." There was a pause from him, giving his pet mouth a chance to settle down from all that bouncing. "I'll be right back with your papers."

"Whatever," I muttered as he went back yet again to his bike, grabbing the freshly printed toilet paper. He came back to me, recited the charges again, and circled a few things to show me his pen worked.

"Where is it you are going?" Young Cop asked.

I looked down and sighed, "To a job interview." I ended it with a fake smile as I looked straight ahead.

Old Cop unhinged my leash. "Well, you're free to go. Take it easy."

---

Went to the job interview (which sucked thanks to arriving so late) and came back home. I explained the situation to my room mate (who went to law school for a bit) and he shook his head and giggled. I decided, for the first time, to actually look at the ticket.

Get this: He didn't even write me up for speeding.

Court date is mid September, so I'm anticipating the moments when the judge I face gets a laugh when I show her my motorized bike and the tickets.

TO BOOT: The carges the cop is trying to give me rack up to the tune of about $1400.

My guess: The motorcycle cop has it out for these things because he rides with a cycling team or something. ****ing pedalers. :p

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Well what is officer OBIEs real name and badge number. You should post that info on Spooky's web site in the Oink Oink section.

I hope he wrote you up on ARS and not Tucson City Code which is slightly different, cause it sure sounds like you should not have any trouble getting off since he did not mention cite you for speed.

I firmly believe 20MPH is too low, I coast that fast on a downhill.

Good luck in court. Could be the cop wants to get off his bike and be in a AC courtroom.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We are very fortunate in AZ. The guys in NY can't ride a motor bike on the street legally.

I believe adults are required to carry ID any time you leave home in AZ, reguardless of transportation mode.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I know of no law in AZ or the USofA that requires you to carry ID at all times. If I am walking down a street and not to be clasified as a vagrant, then no ID necessary. Of course I have only been here for 67 years, so I may have missed something.

Now as I have a CWP I am required to have picture ID with me as well as my permit if I am carrying concealed.

But be it skate board, or bicycle I wouldn't think twice of going out without ID.

Jim

We are very fortunate in AZ. The guys in NY can't ride a motor bike on the street legally.

I believe adults are required to carry ID any time you leave home in AZ, reguardless of transportation mode.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I stand corrected. I will carry ID when on my Roller Blades, Skateboard, Scooter, electric or manual and bicycle, assisted or not. But walking down the street in shoes does not constitute using a vehicle IMHO. )

Pima County is a little different. Lived there when in the University and both of my kids were born there. Nice place to live if you already have money.

Speaking of scooters, electric or gas, it is iligal to ride them in the City of Glendale on streets or sidewalks. Friend had to pay a $150 fine for riding his electric one over to the PO Boxes in his neighborhood. I think they got the electric ones because of the complaints about the buzzing gas ones?

BTW, thank you very much for the case history and ARS references. I converted it to a PDF for reference and to print. I do carry in my billfold (with proper ID) the ARS covering assisted bibycles. In event I am stopped I can show it for a reference to the osicifier. (respectifically)

Jim

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
This is a well known case of Snotsdale authority. Police can get you for almost anything over there and you, with the courts approval, don't have a leg to stand on. If you ride, stay away from Snotsdale AZ.

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
The same was true of Glendale 25 years ago, but now they are spread so thin, that it has to be important to get there attention. Paradise Valley also has a reputation for being a speed trap.

Back then Glendale got you for parking backwards in a cl-de-sac or on a dead end street. Now and then I pull some stupid stunt (in the car) and a patrol car will be right there and they don't seem to notice. Kind of good news, bad news.

I do think an electric or gas scooter will get immediate attention?

Jim

Edrockmcboy

Jul 6, 2011
Arizona
Hi, I am new to gas powered bike and am thrilled to have gotten one. I am also thrilled to read that there are other gas powered bike riders in Az, since i know of none. Its carazy to hear about these cops i actully got stopped the other day after owning one for a couple weeks. However the cop was really nice he just made an honest mistake. He told me he knew the laws i agreed with him knowing he was wrong since i had no lights or reflectors. He let me off after i talked to him for 15 minutes.

Hammer

Jul 5, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Just read this thread. Sorry you guys are having a hard time out there. Over bicycles nonetheless. If those folks making policy would focus on things that truely deserve attention, some real progress could be made. Here in GA, we ride 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, whatever on the roads(outside the city in the county)and get in no trouble.

Cranky, good luck with that. Your spot on descriptions of Officer Mouse-stache had me rolling! Sounds like he has some ego issues!

Hacksawdecap

Jul 20, 2011
Phoenix
I live in central phoenix somewhat outside of the middle of the city where the light rail is. I'm nervous riding in the city. Any one have experience with police around there? I know it's completely legal but I seriously don't have the time to go to court and fight the ticket...well I guess I wouldn't really have a choice if that did happen. Heh. Anyways, I ride with the bill in my wallet printed. .

little Jitter Bug

May 1, 2012
Phoenix
Hacksawdecap, I guess since this you posted in this forum over a year ago you have finally had a feal for the conditions in Phoenix. I started riding in March of last year and havent had a problem with the bike.. I havent been outside of Phoenix with it though to know how scottsdale would treat it. or PV. I too cary a copy of the bill. But do you know of the new Phoenix Ordinace law that Phoenix adopted not too long ago in October??? Go check it out: http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/ look up Chapter 36 Article IX Bicycles.....Divisions 1-general, Division2-operation, division3- abandoned bicycles. my area of concern is the 36-100 bicycle needs approval from the police department to get its license.

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
Hacksawdecap, I guess since this you posted in this forum over a year ago you have finally had a feal for the conditions in Phoenix. I started riding in March of last year and havent had a problem with the bike.. I havent been outside of Phoenix with it though to know how scottsdale would treat it. or PV. I too cary a copy of the bill. But do you know of the new Phoenix Ordinace law that Phoenix adopted not too long ago in October??? Go check it out: http://www.codepublishing.com/az/phoenix/ look up Chapter 36 Article IX Bicycles.....Divisions 1-general, Division2-operation, division3- abandoned bicycles. my area of concern is the 36-100 bicycle needs approval from the police department to get its license.
I've tried to follow what you wrote but there isn't chapter 36 article ix. At least not in any way i can find. Maybe a direct link to your end article?

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
Rehashing this.

i am a bit miffed I found a PDF of what I assume was a newer version of the HB. I can't find it now. My phone was destroyed and that is where I had my copy.

anyway in this new variation of the law the beginning started out stating that a motorized bicycle of 48cc or less shall not be defined as a vehicle.

it was a direct PDF download but I can't find it. Anyone else able to find this version. It looked a lot more friendly and consistent. Looked like it said cities couldn't change the intent of the law so much.