anyone seen cheap lay-back seatposts around?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've been looking for 25.4mm (1 inch) seat posts with the mount diameter at 22.2mm (7/8 inch). Needs to have about 5 inches of supported offset.

The only thing I've seen cheap is a 25.4 with 25.4 mount.

Reactions: LesLeb

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tom made me a solid one way back. Thing was awesome. But thinking if ya could find that size local, of bar stock, heat and bend... Can't get cheaper than that. And I loves me some cheap, lol.

But don't know about store bought in that size. If ya got a buddy or some one here and close by with a lathe, could knock out 2 in about 10 mins.

I should make and sell them. Really are a breeze to make and the one Tom made for me, (Thanks again Tom!) is awesome and could hold, dunno, 5 or 600 lbs. And they make MB'in so much more comfortable. No need to be over the peddles when the engine does most of the work so your more stretched out and comfortable. Gonna ask Tom what he used for stock. It's really good and the best laid back seat post I have ever seen for our thing.

Sorry on suggestions on where to buy one. I'm sure some one has a link for you.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Seems always to be requests for 'em Tony.

Not hard to make, easy to store. Heck, don't put a bend in em 'till ya send em out and even easier to store. (depending on how ya make them) And would be doing the community good.

For any one who has never tried one. They are great. A bicycle is set up so that your weight is over the pedals so as to give ya more umph and make it easier to press down on em. When cruising with a motor or engine, there is no need. So you're in a less comfortable, prone position leaning on your arms more than necessary. With a lay back seat post, your feet are positioned further out in front of you and your weight is on your butt. Far less fatiguing, too. As vibrations being transmitted up your arms and using energy holding yourself propped.

But rather, scooted back on yer arss like Good intended. LOL

Seriously, do 4 hrs on an uncomfortable, lil vibrating 2 smoke and same 4 hrs on one with a layback seatpost. 2 different days.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Just a tip for all, not meaning to take from any makers here. I use Mtn Bike Bar ends to set back my seat.They
bar ends.jpg
will fit the seat post and allow you to mount the seat on the end. Be sure to find single piece steel ones. I would be afraid aluminum could break.

Reactions: bluck and Dan

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I'm a small Guy 5'8" 155 lbs. Sets me back only 2 or so inches. Much better with than without. Bigger / taller guys may need more "lay back". You may need to cut the horned end of it off so the seat will slide on easily. Also real Cheap. Hey Dan! Mooslevania? That north of Bangor?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yes! and to the west, Allen.

"The island has no permanent population, and conditions are said to be harsh and unpleasant. The island is in a state of terra nullius, since neither Canada nor the United States wants to claim the land and each country says it belongs to the other. (See Bir Tawil for a similar real-life example of this.) Bullwinkle J. Moose serves as Moosylvania's presumed namesake and its governor but only stays two weeks at a time, since (according to Bullwinkle) "after two weeks here, anyplace else feels like Heaven."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moosylvania

Reactions: allen standley

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really did forget your suggestion, Allen. Truly clever, free and works awesome. Plus, ya get 2.

Being a whopping 4 foot 17 inches tall, ya'd think a laid back, bent seatpost would not be a big deal. But they really make a huge difference in comfort. A long ride with that and some sort of suspension. It's night and day comfort wise.

I wanna make a frame where the seat post comes out of the top tube. So it is horizontal. Could be 6'4 and be comfortable on a wally world sized bike. And quickly adjust for long rides pedaling home after a breakdown.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I got a custom made seat post from member inked1974. He fabbed it to my preferred layback angle outa solid stock. Don't remember the price, but I do remember thinking that it was a helluva deal!

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool, Xman. Any pics?

Oh! Things got crazy but no mater what, spending Sunday in the shop. Job one is the db for you.

Really need a break from the world.

Thanks again! It really helps to have feed back.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
To make my lay back post I picked up an old extra long post from a local bike recycling depot. I think it was two or three dollars and about 14 inches long. I also jammed in the thickest piece of rebar that would fit inside. Then I went to an abandoned industrial building and found an 8 foot piece of heavy pipe and place to bend it. Easy to do and I did it in small increments to get exactly the angle I wanted. I would not recommend this method without the rebar.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Made me think of a thing from way back, Chaz.

Great pic of a sort of jig where (think it was Bikeguy Joe) would use his car as a press. Uber clever. Just rolled the car over it.

Dig the rebar thing. Easy, quick and cost effective.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I thought that was a real motorcycle in the back round lol. Do you have a link to more pics of it?

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
sort of an old thread, but i want to attach this idea to this thread

How about cutting off a section of (high-rise or bmx) handlebar?

Handlebar diameter is often the same dimension as seatpost stock, and it is already bent.

I would test it before i cut it, bike tubing has weird dimensions that seem to be hard to obtain except from donor bikes.

Huffydavidson937

Mar 4, 2021
I did exactly that i cut a piece of handle bar and put a sleve on it to fit my seat post it was handle bars off a little girls bicycle it seems to be holding well and no extra bend sitting on it and i weigh 230
20210419_135320.jpg