anyone bought a Sun-thing engine off eBay?

GoldenMotor.com

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
and sun-thing has same pictures as pewshops "air outdoor" motor, made in guangdong. GuangDong. haha. he said guang Dong...

Beavis jokes aside, Can anyone confirm what this is? is this perhaps a raw? sure looks like the old raw pictures...Norm?

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
The more expensive it is, the better it must be. Right? Tell sun thing28 you'll pay twice what he is asking, for GuangDong quality. :)

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I know what it is.... It's a china girl, still look like 6mm mount studs(common failure) and an external CDI, doesn't look any different from any other china girl... But call in the next 10 minutes and we will not send you 2 for the price of one, and you won;t even get a ginsu knife

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
i'm going with $550
They want 550! Is that Pesos? ;-)

Had a look at the seller. My observation is the low amount of total feed backs only 900 some so they must be fairly new entrant. Several negatives on the slow shipping time and one of a leaky gas tank. Cheapest complete gas 'kit' is about $200 shipped. Personally for what it is, the same as the others, you can do $50 better IMO.

The small replacement parts seem to be in line price wise....

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The vendor you discovered is probably some industrious person exercising their credit line, buying a few pallets of imports down in Long Beach with visions of a return that exceeds their cost of credit.
Best to ask a high price and come down a bit to make a sale than start out low and be stuck there.
I can't really see how asking price is a qualifier for quality in these chineese products.
Quality control is the issue. Metalurgy...

Best chance for a reliable HT would be to buy one from one of our favorite vendors who post here on the forum. They do their best to strive for integrity.
Any increase you may see in price from them is little more than their attempt at earning something for their labor invested. A bargain!
rc

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
The vendor you discovered is probably some industrious person exercising their credit line, buying a few pallets of imports down in Long Beach...

Would that be Long Beach, China?

I bought one of these and it's a typical HT engine kit. The quality of the engine is better than the one I got from PCC Motors, if that's really saying much.

The main reason I ordered it from sun-thing28 is he was one of the very few who would ship to California. It arrived complete and undamaged, but be warned it will take every bit of the 8 weeks he says to get here. Mine took 61 days. Apparently the "slow boat to China" really does exist and it's carrying China Girl engines. BTW, I couldn't leave feedback because you only have 60 days and that expired by the time I got it. But I probably would have left positive feedback.

DB, you're probably in the same boat I'm in trying to find a vendor that doesn't run away crying and screaming at the mention of the word "California." I'm going to end up using this engine for a project, but if I were to do it again, I think I would just talk to the few local vendors like Venice Motor Bikes or Motovello who aren't afraid to sell to Angelenos.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Would that be Long Beach, China?

I bought one of these and it's a typical HT engine kit. The quality of the engine is better than the one I got from PCC Motors, if that's really saying much.

The main reason I ordered it from sun-thing28 is he was one of the very few who would ship to California. It arrived complete and undamaged, but be warned it will take every bit of the 8 weeks he says to get here. Mine took 61 days. Apparently the "slow boat to China" really does exist and it's carrying China Girl engines. BTW, I couldn't leave feedback because you only have 60 days and that expired by the time I got it. But I probably would have left positive feedback.

DB, you're probably in the same boat I'm in trying to find a vendor that doesn't run away crying and screaming at the mention of the word "California." I'm going to end up using this engine for a project, but if I were to do it again, I think I would just talk to the few local vendors like Venice Motor Bikes or Motovello who aren't afraid to sell to Angelenos.
wuuuurd. i just received a pair from a fella in canada but I had to have him ship them to my friend in Lake Havasu. they have defintely been tested, and smell of fuel. they have the black allen head case bolts, and low end throttle assemblys. but the beefier cables. these things are such a crapshoot. we'll see how they run.