Another Tylar BTR Build

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
In saying that a Maxxis Hookworm or Fat Frank doesnt have that "authentic" look.

But ive had one of my "white" tyres blow while at top speed, and im almost certain a half decent quality tyre wouldnt have failed...... the rubber didnt seem very thick.... I still run these tyres (new ones obviously) but i am aware of the risks

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Ironic, my LBS is on Cherry St. too. I stopped there today wanting to give him a most of the paper in my wallet, but he's waaaaay too expensive on his new bikes.

I wanted to remind him of Wally World about 2 miles west, but that would have been in very poor taste and I would have burned a bridge to parts and services if I need him in the future.

I used to live about 3 houses away from him and in the 20 odd years I've been going there, he's never once budged on a new bike price.....some of them have an inch of dust on 'em.

MHF

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Tires don't begin to flare until about 65 MPH and it is cyntrifical force that makes the tire flare, giving the circumstances that you'll never achieve that 65 MPH and size of load on the bike you'll be pretty safe, but good choice with the simplex, your safety and health are always out weighed by $$$$$$

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I think i said i thought youre tyres may be cheap, i wasnt aware of the brand but thought they were similar to the ones i bought off EBay, and was just mentioning because you said your bike rode like CRAP, and i mentioned it MAY be the tyres.

Maybe yours are better quality, maybe not, but ive ridden a lot of mountain bikes and gone through a lot of tyres: cross country, downhill and dirt jumping tyres and my tyres (and maybe yours) arent as high a quality as a Schawalbe Fat Frank or Maxxis Hookworm...... FACT!
I just like giving you a hard time cos you're an Aussie :) Hey it turned out it wasnt my bike that rode bad, it was the motor vibrating it. With the change in needle setting & change of pipe it's riding great now. In fact so much so that I decided not to sell it, but to upgrade to Pat's loop frame. While it was for sale, someone asked about buying just the worksman frame, so Im gonna swap everything out to the new frame & keep it. I love riding it so much with the motor now running right that Im having to look for places to ride it (cant ride it on the road here in NZ or I risk big fines).
Im planning to get a rack on the back the car, that I can carry the bike on, to take it to the velodrome & another local cycling track.

Hey Rob sorry for going off topic, I think the old British bike frames may have been heavier than yours will be, & a lighter frame means more speed, so I think your investment in tyres is a good idea.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I was also thinking of blowouts from debries on the road. The simplex should be thicker than a bicycle tire. The Hanks that I have been running on the sportsman flyer have been good to me. Speeds to 45 mph and no problems, nor have I had a flat yet. I have a guy in Florida and a local guy that both offered me $3000 for the flyer. I'm not sure what I'm going to spend it on. I sold my Babe Ruth autograph baseball to get this build going, so I might replace it. I'm not sure what the toy will be. This one will be done around christmas and my 1935 Coventry eagle should be ready about the same time. I also was thinking about an old 1930-1940 pickup truck to take the bikes around. I would need to sell one of my cars to get the cash.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I just like giving you a hard time cos you're an Aussie :) Hey it turned out it wasnt my bike that rode bad, it was the motor vibrating it. With the change in needle setting & change of pipe it's riding great now. In fact so much so that I decided not to sell it, but to upgrade to Pat's loop frame. While it was for sale, someone asked about buying just the worksman frame, so Im gonna swap everything out to the new frame & keep it. I love riding it so much with the motor now running right that Im having to look for places to ride it (cant ride it on the road here in NZ or I risk big fines).
Im planning to get a rack on the back the car, that I can carry the bike on, to take it to the velodrome & another local cycling track.

Hey Rob sorry for going off topic, I think the old British bike frames may have been heavier than yours will be, & a lighter frame means more speed, so I think your investment in tyres is a good idea.
You will have to YouTube some of the velodrome videos trips

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
One simplex tire weights about the same as two bike tires. It's a lot thicker in the sidewalls and the running surface. The rubber is a lot harder so it will last longer and resist heat well, thus the 92mph rating. Yeah, they are not white, but the pro's outweigh the cons. I had a front blowout on the simplex due to a metal burr on the inside edge of my Worksman rim that I didn't catch, and going 45mph it just coasted to strait to a stop. Nothing eventful happened. So it worked the way is was supposed to. If I had a bicycle tire the tire may have come off the rim and I would have bit it hard.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
His email is [email protected]. Funny, he owns Taylar bike and his name is Dan. My email is Robertriley and my mane is Chris. I guess we are just both proud dads. lol Robert Riley is my sons name, I made the Email for him when he was born 11 years ago but now I can't give it to him because I'm too connected to it. Dan is a great guy and he is a perfectionist. He won't let anything leave his sight unless he knows it will be long lasting and SAFE. Are you going to have his make something for you?

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Chris. Yes Im going to ask him about making something & see what he thinks...I used the email in CH's post about a frame, but it was a different email & I didnt get an answer so that explains it.
thanks again

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Wow...Dan is going to kill me. I gave him the Albion gearbox and now he is going to have to make another frame. If anyone is interested in the frame and fork give him a shout.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
LOL.... I've seen a lot of them pop up on EBay lately. That's what usally what happens after I buy something. I have to say that I have only seen one that is as nice as mine.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Harry, I saw your video the other day. That thing is faster than I thought. I found an ad for a Coventry Eagle with a 147cc Villiers and a 3 speed albion in it and they claimed a max speed of 55-60mph.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think my Villiers has a top speed of around 35mph with the wind at my back, probably a little slower then a chinagirl, and definitely slower off the mark. But i love my Villiers engines and if i ever see a 147cc Villiers i will snap it up. We see tons of 98cc over here but rarely see anything bigger or any gearboxes..... seems we only had an invasion of Villiers mowers rather then small motorcycles with Villiers engines.

Why does he need to build a new frame because of the gearbox. Did you only just add it to the plans and the frame was already built?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Very cool gearbox.... where did you get it? The U.S or England?

I bought a clutch for a 98cc Villiers off EBay but it may not be of any use (ill see) and ive been thinking i may use a clutch or gearbox on my next Villiers bike. Im on the hunt