Adjusting the HuaSheng 142F (49cc) carburetor

Discussion in '4 Stroke Bicycle Engines & Kits' started by azbill, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Drop a Gear and Disappear

Replying all the way into 2018. Oh well this is a very informative thread, hopefully there are still people following and active on this. On my current motorized project bike I'm having a huge pain in the ass starting the motor up if even at all. I have to use starting fluid :/. From what your post was saying I could drill out a brass plug that is in place of the A/F mixture screw. If I adjust the screw would that put life in the motor?
    I was also told that this motor might be running too lean thus it not starting up.
    Here's a picture of my bike: IMG_20180315_160938.jpg

I have the HuaSheng 142F (49cc) motor. From recommendations from another forum I was told that there is a A/F adjustment screw hidden behind the brass plug on the other side of the carburetor. Pictured here: IMG_20180315_160951.jpg
    (A/F adjustment screw behind the brass plug closest the the engine)

He stated "Lean engines burn cleaner, but too lean = no fire. I prefer slightly on the rich side, engine runs cooler."
    He said if I took out the plug, I would be able to tune the motor.

Would this be the miracule cure to make the motor start?

#21 Drop a Gear and Disappear, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. KCvale

KCvale Well-Known Member

Glad you are fixed cliped.

3. KCvale

KCvale Well-Known Member

Ohh my...

[​IMG]

The V-mount HS carbs unlike their rack mount brothers, have no fuel pump. If your tank is almost empty it doesn't have the weight to push all the fuel up to the carb from that huge fuel filter below the carb.

I suggest you loose that filter and use a smaller one, and keep all gas ABOVE the carb.

[​IMG]

4. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Member

I agree kcvale, way too much fuel line dipping below the carb.

5. KCvale

KCvale Well-Known Member

This is an easy fix, you just got to understand the problem ;-}

6. artmaker

artmaker Member

This is a great thread. I'm having issues too and already see a few things I need to go try.
    Was sitting on hold at gasbike.net when I found this. They never did pick up but I might not need to buy a whole new carb.
    Mine (long story) wouldn't fire. I HAD it running, cleaned the carb when it wouldn't idol or would die coasting on down hills.
    Just walked it across the street to my mechanic. They were able to get it started. They checked my plug, it's fine. (I need a socket that fits... on my to get list.) But it won't stay running.... so gotta be a fuel mix issue.

I did see the post above with the fuel line dipping below the carb. Mine is too. Easy fix there.... will do that first.

So what are everyones thoughts on getting a micro drill set and fitting a bit into the jet, then use the next size up and widening the thing?
    Read that somewhere but I would think that's a last resort.

7. KCvale

KCvale Well-Known Member

What is your altitude?
    When I was in Phoenix (1088 ft.) I never had to adjust the mix or dick with the jets.

We just bought a house and moved up to Camp Verde at (3153ft), with that 2K gain in altitude I expect my last 4-stoker will need some tuning if I sell it up here, but I think I'll have better luck down the hill in Phoenix, I always sell my 'no customer, wild hair' builds there ;-}

Hey Art, whats with the zip ties?
    It looks to me like you are trying to hold your engine in with zip ties across your carb!?

#27 KCvale, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  8. artmaker

artmaker Member

I think you have me confused with someone else. I only use zip ties to hold cables in place, nothing more.
    Here, my ride (photo taken before that horrible transmission was replaced. NEVER buy from thatsdax. Notice the clutch is exposed? yea bad idea. All replaced.

JensBike.jpg

9. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Where did you get them fenders? Got a link?..........Curt

10. artmaker

artmaker Member

Came with the bike. Actually when I first started thinking about a motorized bike and signed up for this and another forum, someone on there had this bike, almost brand new with a 2 stroke on it. not even broken in yet. Offered to sell it to me and I jumped at it. Now that bike originally had the coolest pinstripe design on the fenders, but the shipper DHL mangled the bike. And live and learn, I should have made the driver wait while I looked. But the seller felt so bad he contacted the place he bought the bike and sweet talked them into sending me a new set of fenders. (minus the stripe.)

If you google the bike, they still make these. It's called a Manhattan flyer 6 beach cruiser…. or here, easy enough to find it.
    http://www.manhattancruisers.com/10_flyer6_m.htm

Note…. I had to have the tires replaced, and had the rear wheel respoked with thicker spokes. Rolling over a twig was enough to cause a flat. No more flats since I did that. Get good tires and the respoking job is well worth it.

11. KCvale

KCvale Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was referring to this bike a few posts up.
    Its hard to see the result of a project that may have been over the builders mechanical skill level.

12. artmaker

artmaker Member

I figured you meant that one. NP.

I'm still trying to figure out my own carb issues. Ordered one from gasbike.net on May 31st, it's now June 4 and they still haven't even shipped it. They don't answer the phone, or chat. And I am pretty sure it's not even the right carb. Trying to contact them now to cancel the sale. Found the right one elsewhere.

Here, they have this listed as a 4 stroke, but it sure looks identical to every TWO stroke one I find. I'm going to bail on them. Another company with zero customer support.
    https://www.gasbike.net/products/4-stroke-nt-carburetor