Accident

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
While riding to work on my 1000 watt 52 volt fat tire from Bicycle Motor Works, I was boxed in by a Prius next to a tall curb, as an ambulance siren sounded, I could see the youngster driver craning his neck the opposite way behind his car while his Prius is boxing me in closer and closer to the curb, I am yelling at him but he's trying to see that ambulance. It gets to either I get hit by his car or get out of the way, he was too close for me to back off so I attempted to jump the curb. I'm too old and heavy and the bike was too heavy for this to be successful, the front wheel fork crashes down on the curb and bends the dropouts warping the disc brake and the axle and the fork arm. I'm trying to get to work and running out of time. I saw an old woman nearby working in her garden and as i"m trying to explain what had happened and could I leave my bike at her place and return for it that evening? she exclaims "You're returning my grandson's stolen bike!" I tried to explain that this is my bike but she was adamant. I can't leave the bike there. as I"m stumbling away, she's threatening to call the police. I told her where I was going and they were welcome to talk to me there. The front wheel won't turn so I attempted to carry it with the front wheel off the road but the damn thing is too heavy. I attached the axle on only one fork and removed the disc brake and could sort of roll it that way. 2 miles and an hour late I arrived at work. It didn't occur to me to get the Prius' license tag, the car was light colored and a young blond guy driving it. He shouted "sorry dude" as he sped away. At the minimum, I'll be needing a new fork and rotor, probably a new axle. Possibly a new wheel. I just got the damn thing! Not even a month ago!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
It's a good thing you were not hurt. Maybe a horn would have helped? He might have been able to hear a honk before you had to go for the curb.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I now use a duel horn system. The horn on the right is a low volume to alert other cyclist and pedestrians. The horn on the left is a bicycle pump refillable air horn loud enough to be heard in closed compartment vehicles.

You should also consider getting glasses cams or something similar. This can give you evidence to take to the police. You'll need the event, the tag number and a clear shot of the operator's face if possible.

When these idiots start getting surprised visits from the police and paying fines along with licence suspensions it'll change their attitudes.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
However, knowing them is not enough because we have to take preventive measures.
Always put on a helmet to avoid fatalities during collisions.
Focus on the road.
Wear visible clothing.
Be careful when going through areas that are prone to accidents.
Which is what those three videos are talking about.

Be alert
Be aware of surroundings
Be seen
Be predictable
Communicate
Use correct procedures
Use proper safety equipment

Reactions: Greg58

rugger327

Jan 26, 2022
Not sure of your exact position, but taking your full lane is a great opportunity to make oneself most visible. I'd rather piss people off than be hit.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Not sure of your exact position, but taking your full lane is a great opportunity to make oneself most visible. I'd rather piss people off than be hit.
The videos I posted tell you to do exactly that; to control the lane. This way vehicles have to switch lanes in order to pass you; like they'd have to do with any other vehicle.

rugger327

Jan 26, 2022
The videos I posted tell you to do exactly that; to control the lane. This way vehicles have to switch lanes in order to pass you; like they'd have to do with any other vehicle.
I've been teaching my son exactly this. He rides a mountain bike and his motorbike on the streets. I'm a road cyclist and motorcyclist. If you let a car pinch you then they will. I like to keep them at a distance. I've been hit once on my motorcycle and so many friends have both on motorcycles and bikes. Y'all be safe out there and take your lane. I believe that in all states now it is lawful.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've been teaching my son exactly this. He rides a mountain bike and his motorbike on the streets. I'm a road cyclist and motorcyclist. If you let a car pinch you then they will. I like to keep them at a distance. I've been hit once on my motorcycle and so many friends have both on motorcycles and bikes. Y'all be safe out there and take your lane. I believe that in all states now it is lawful.
Sadly many don't know what the Keep Right law means. The Keep Right law means if the lane is wide enough for Lane Sharing a cyclist is to ride as far to the right as safely possible. Lane Sharing means the lane is wide enough for a vehicle to clear a cyclist by 3 feet if the cyclist is riding to the far right. Lane sharing shouldn't be confused with Lane Splitting. What Lane Splitting means is if certain conditions exist while stopped at a traffic light a cyclist can ride between vehicles to the front of the pack. Lane Sharing is legal everywhere in the USA but Lane Splitting is only legal in a few states.

Reactions: rugger327

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If a lane isn't wide enough for lane sharing then the cyclist has the right to use the the entire lane. When a lane is wide enough for lane sharing then the safest place for the cyclist is in the center of the lane.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Sorry your options were so limited. As others have said, coulda been a lot worse.

Worth me sayin that here in the UK, road laws were changed on Thursday, giving cyclists the Right Of Way over other motorists. Advised road positioning for bicycles is now near the road's centreline, not curbside. Just try to imagine the road rage there's gonna be....

And can I say that if the hundreds of YouTube videos I've watched are anything to go by, during your run-in with the Prius you failed to administer what 90% of bikers dish-out to drivers who cut them off. Punching-out their door mirror tends to catch a distracted driver's attention.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If a lane isn't wide enough for lane sharing then the cyclist has the right to use the the entire lane. When a lane is wide enough for lane sharing then the safest place for the cyclist is in the center of the lane.
I hate the fact this forum only gives you 10 minutes to edit. Should've said

When a lane isn't wide enough for lane sharing then the safest place for the cyclist is in the center of the lane.