A50 magneto ?

GoldenMotor.com

AZPhil

Dec 27, 2017
Hello Gent's,
I purchased this kit for my son for Xmas. I worked on this for several day and I have no spark. I read the troubleshooting tips and I first found my magneto had an open, No continuity on my ohm meter. I stripped back the tape and found the smaller gauge wire was not soldered to the terminal. I fixed that but I have "0" ohm reading as in its shorted from terminal to terminal of the magneto. So I'm looking at getting another one. Mine has the Blue wire to the top terminal and the black wire goes to the lower terminal and a jumper to the metal bar of the magneto. I see that the replacement has a Blue wire to the top terminal and a white wire to the lower terminal and a seperate ground going to the metal of of the magneto. I'm reading that I just cut the white wire off and just use the black wire as my ground. My question is if this is a coil/inductor type circuit, Shouldn't I connect the Blue to the Blue and the white to the black wire of my CDI? Shouldn't I be using the coil connections like the original magneto was set up?

Any and all help with this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance.
One frustrated Dad!
AZPhil

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
I used to just google that sh*t, now at 61yo YouTube is my new go to, hahaha. You shouldn't need to use the white wire for anything. The ignition is a weak point on these little engines. Junk right out of the box sometimes, other times running great and then nothing. Do yourself a favor and pickup a spare, test it to make sure it works first and keep it on the shelf. Good luck, hope you gt the kid on the road.

Reactions: allen standley

AZPhil

Dec 27, 2017
Thanks Gent's. Shouldn't the black wire be connected to the coil's lower terminal like the original coil was wired?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I used to just google that sh*t, now at 61yo YouTube is my new go to, hahaha. You shouldn't need to use the white wire for anything. The ignition is a weak point on these little engines. Junk right out of the box sometimes, other times running great and then nothing. Do yourself a favor and pickup a spare, test it to make sure it works first and keep it on the shelf. Good luck, hope you gt the kid on the road.
Thanks BarnFresh. Very helpful to many. Very useful info tip.

AZPhil

Dec 27, 2017
Well Gent's I got the new Magneto I purchased from Bikeberry. It was wired exactly how the orginal was wired and worked perfectly.
The bike started on the first try and my son now has a smile from ear to ear and is buzzing the neighborhood!

Thanks for all the help. It was greatly appreciated.
Semper Fi
Phil

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I see the difference in the new coil, the white wire has been eliminated and the black wire is soldered, this should be better.