A quieter clutch cover plate

GoldenMotor.com

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Hello all, the Sick Bike Parts clutch plate cover (Sick Bike Parts) helped to quiet down the noise from my clutch and gears, but I didn't really like the way it looked on the surface of my right-side motor panel. So I trimmed the edges just a little and moved it to the inside.

Turns out that the flower-nut and guide-pins in the center of the clutch were contacting it, so I sanded out that center part with a rotary tool (see picture). Then I super-glued it flat to the inside of the cover.

Several miles later, there's no shredded rubber material in my gears, the gears are still a little quieter, and it preserves the original clean exterior of the engine.

An easy and inexpensive way to cut down on clutch chatter.

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i bought some cork gasket making material from Ace Hardware and glued it on the inside of mine. works great. clutch doesn't hit it at all and quieted it way down.

my first bike, i thought there was something wrong with it because of all the noise it made...

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
This mod has been added to my "things to do" list. Thanks for posting the various aproaches, material selection, and documentation. I wonder how many mouse pads I have seen go into the trash?!

heyscuba

Jan 19, 2011
st. louis, missouri
would this be ok to do,..?

while covering the inside of my clutch cover plate with flat rubber, I thought (to avoid contact with the flower nut) I'd just make a gasket with the same material to move the plate out the same distance as the thickness of the material I was using,...

anyone think this is bad idea,...?

it's flat stiff rubber but seems to fit and hold well,..
I haven't started the motor or anything yet, snowed in,...

.bf.

Attachments

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
won't hurt anything. i think the reason there's even a gasket there in the first place is to keep the bolts from rattling out.

there's nothing in there that's gonna leak out, and unless you submerge your bike, nothing's gonna get in, so a thick rubber gasket should be fine.

i use Plasti-Dip spray paint on the inside of my cover. works as good as any rubber insulator.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
is it unusual that in my bikes short rides i didn't have any unbearably loud noises?i'm not even sure what clutch chatter sounds like right now. i only rode about 4 miles before i ran into a snag that made me put it on hold, and i blew the gasket on the exhasut pipe, but even then it wasn't loud enough to bother me.

is it just good luck or will the noises start to come with time?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
depends on what you call "noisy."

to me, it's not the loudness that bothers me, it's the rattle-y sound it makes. sounds like the engine's fulla rocks.

every motor i've built has the noise. if yours doesn't, you got the magic motor.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
that'd probably work.

i still use Plasti-dip spray paint. just spray a ton of it inside the cover, let it dry, and it's like an instant rubber coating that lasts forever. you can buy cans of it at Ace hardware.

you can also use it on the underside of fenders, or even on the handles of your tools, which is what it was designed for...

oh, and it works great to cover up those obnoxious, bright colored logos on the sides of blackwall tires.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey ya'll,
I really wish I could hear ......the clutch chatter.....chain clatter ....et al ....intake whistle ...being deaf, is there any way I can adapt to these obviously annoying sounds ? ......and if not ....am I f*cked ? .....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I have the same noise. Its a scraping sound. I'm wondering if its scraping the sidewall. Cuz its a constant noise. Should I sand some of the side wall to eliminate the scraping?