80cc Motorized Bicycle Ignition Problem

GoldenMotor.com

garywashington0308

Oct 20, 2008
Canada
Hi guys,

I was wondering where can I find a good 80cc Motorized Bicycle Ignition Problem Troubleshooting guide in a pdf format or HTML? The problem started when we washed the bike because of road grime and now the bike will not start. We already remove the spark plug ,wires and carburetor to dry them. It still will not start. I am thinking it's the CDI unit but I don't know for sure. If it's going to take all **** to rise to the surface before we can fix it I would rather buy another engine. If anyone know the correct way to troubleshoot the problem please let me know or if you have a good link:-||. I don't want to mess around wasting a lot of time guessing so that's why I am contacting you guys. I just want to ride again but I would like to know how to fix this problem.

Thank you for any effort or time you may put forth to help me in advance. If it was a computer it would be fixed by now. I just don't know much about engines but I know water has caused the a problem because it was working before we wash it.

Thanks

Gary

Last edited:

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Yes a good thing would to check the spark just have the spark plug out of the cylinder and pedal and see if teir is a spark comming from it. If you have a good spark try flushing out your carb you might have gotten some water in it (basicly take the carb off remove the float cover pump the primmer to get all the gas out and use an air gun to completely dry it then put it back together and install it) then try again.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I agree. CDI going bad is not common. Most likley it is your magneto. There is not much to the ignition system. Mag and CDI. CDI should show 256 ohms unless it is one of my engines with a more powerful magneto then you should get 353 ohms. Around there anyway. Check it and see what you get. My bet is a bad mag. Enjoy the ride...

garywashington0308

Oct 20, 2008
Canada
Thanks guys for your replies. It feels good to be a member of the group. I will try all your suggestions and keep you posted. I hope someday I will be able to help others in he group.
thanks you again for taking your time to reply to me.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Being a winter driver I always stalled out when my front wheel would splash slush up onto my CDI where the sparkplug wire comes from. I could hear the spark jumping and solved it by waterproofing the thing.
You should also remove your side cover on the Magneto and use gasket goop and seal up the area at the front where the wires go into the motor.
Only other thing to look at is a wet/shorted kill switch.
That is all that is left, so I'm sure you will get it running. Good luck!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Aeroplate, CorrosionX and Stuph are all GREAT waterproofers for the ignition, mag, cdi, wires, or whatever.

The BEST.

shawnpk19

Apr 27, 2009
Santa Cruz
Hi everyone, I also have a similar question. I have had my 80cc cruiser for 2 weeks a was riding it and it shut off. I checked for spark and there was some spark. I clean the carb and tried to start it but it still wont start I dont know what else to do? Any ideas?

Hi guys,

I was wondering where can I find a good 80cc Motorized Bicycle Ignition Problem Troubleshooting guide in a pdf format or HTML? The problem started when we washed the bike because of road grime and now the bike will not start. We already remove the spark plug ,wires and carburetor to dry them. It still will not start. I am thinking it's the CDI unit but I don't know for sure. If it's going to take all **** to rise to the surface before we can fix it I would rather buy another engine. If anyone know the correct way to troubleshoot the problem please let me know or if you have a good link:-||. I don't want to mess around wasting a lot of time guessing so that's why I am contacting you guys. I just want to ride again but I would like to know how to fix this problem.

Thank you for any effort or time you may put forth to help me in advance. If it was a computer it would be fixed by now. I just don't know much about engines but I know water has caused the a problem because it was working before we wash it.

Thanks

Gary

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I'd start with a new plug. That is how they go, you are riding along and it just dies. I t may show a spark but under compression it is no good.