79cc predator

GoldenMotor.com

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I found a 54mm block... Little more $ than a stock motor with a stroker crank and piston... I'm waiting for funds and there's only one available... Would go nice with the parts I have already... Basically the AGK 103cc in parts... So excited to get the last of the parts and get to the remodeling again...

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
It's the size more than anything is why I went with the 79cc and I have a bunch of parts for them.. plus nobody else will have a fully modded 79... If I don't like it I can put a GX160 and put the 79 on a taco mini bike... 212 is too easy and generic for me ;)

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Yes, the Predator 79cc is a very good size for motorized bicycles. I believe the 79cc with modifications can equal or slightly exceed a stock Predator 212, or maybe a spec class 212 with 18 pound valve springs. However, I think a modified 79cc is not appropriate for riding and cruising around because with a bigger cylinder, ported head, bigger valves and carb with free flowing exhaust the 79cc may be more sensitive to overheating with the smaller cooling fins and fan. I think a modded 79cc is more appropriate for qualifying in a particular race category than for a leisurely ten or twenty mile bike ride at least during summer time.

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Thanks for your experience, I thought about it overheating especially going up some of the grades around here but I don't expect to run these builds long enough to warm them up or go more than a few miles with them in any one direction... An 8-9hs ngk might help some with some hi-test and Joe Gibbs flat tappet oil... Some offset keys to pull in the timing... I'm also working out an oiling system that works on a pulse... Maybe a fuel pump for an outboard to supply oil to the head...

Attachments

Reactions: fasteddy and zean

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Ditch can sight glass one way valve... Some photos off the forum... Bits and bobs until my engine shop gets off vacation and I can get another stroker 79 block and head... A spare... Harbor freight isn't going to see any $$ direct from me...

Attachments

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Yes, the Predator 79cc is a very good size for motorized bicycles. I believe the 79cc with modifications can equal or slightly exceed a stock Predator 212, or maybe a spec class 212 with 18 pound valve springs. However, I think a modified 79cc is not appropriate for riding and cruising around because with a bigger cylinder, ported head, bigger valves and carb with free flowing exhaust the 79cc may be more sensitive to overheating with the smaller cooling fins and fan. I think a modded 79cc is more appropriate for qualifying in a particular race category than for a leisurely ten or twenty mile bike ride at least during summer time.
What if I ran E85.?.. would Run cooler anyways... VBX c3 bearings ? Just have to figure out what size they are...

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Bro... At some point you need to face the fact that you can spend a h*ll of a lot less money (& get way more power) by just getting a stock 212; & then you can easily double that power with a few bolt on parts (such as the type you're looking to buy now).
Yepper, that's what I thought besides a 212 is a torque monster for propelling you faster plus cheaper!

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Yepper, that's what I thought besides a 212 is a torque monster for propelling you faster plus cheaper!
He had a head in stock so when he's back from holiday he's going to do another 3+ stroker +2mm piston block for a spare... 98cc 79... I'm still working on the rockers.. and I don't know what size bearings for the crank and wrist pin... The seals I got from an electrical/pump application... It's the first time everything for the 79/99 has been available... the 212 is big and it's been done... I'd rather have s little screamer than lugging around barely using the big block... ;)
Screenshot_20230703-160602.png

Reactions: fasteddy and EZL

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Bro... At some point you need to face the fact that you can spend a h*ll of a lot less money (& get way more power) by just getting a stock 212; & then you can easily double that power with a few bolt on parts (such as the type you're looking to buy now).
This is true... If I don't like it it's going on a taco mini bike ;)
I'm not worried about what it costs... The other builds are expensive like the Polaris sportsman 90/ case reed 110 boy goes fast conversion... 54mm horizontal minereli 42toker 100... LD 100 head and the rods from the 110 and possibly the crank from a 100 and bottom end with 7 phantom 85 jugs cut off with the LD 100 head... There all 50 mm stud spacing... 20k buys a lot to play with.. but I'm taking a break from it to just wheels... Few minor pickin's and prepare my place for shelves and Finish up my living situation... Have an easy summer and basically paint July so by September everything is dry and completely aired out by November ish... ?
The overheating can be worked out... But I can't give away all my secrets until I get there...
This 79cc project started with buying another members incomplete basket of parts he was selling for a while before I joined...

Reactions: fasteddy and EZL

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Screenshot_20230703-172047.png
I have to remember this... Electrical motor hi grade one... It may get a little green lock tight on it after everything has been verified to be set up right.... Especially the bushing that spaces everything out...
And a 20k RPM double ball crank bearing would be great on this side...

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The roller rockers are a go... And it's an extensive kit...
Some of these 4 stroke builds remove the shroud and fan... So I should be fine with sheet metal... I've got some Briggs shrouds for a 3hp 1950's vintage.... I found some nos parts for the rope pull...
I thought of a way to string a wire from the coil to the spark plug with a brass screw though an eye that I can electrical tape to the boot so I can use a strap kill... Or I can put a dummy plug somewhere to ground... Some plastic between the electrode and strap... Then JB sculpture to look good and JB mount for the strap... Just had a good brain storm... And why I'm taking a break and moved everything out...

Attachments