66cc won’t start

GoldenMotor.com

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
Was stoked last month when I picked up a stretched beach cruiser with a motor. The engine was seized which I freed up and got running. The piston let go where I chose to purchase a new engine opposed to an entire kit. The GT6 pro racing engine showed up in a damaged box. I contacted them where they said to assemble and let them know if there was any issues from shipping. Out of the box I can not get it running. Here is what I have done.

Reused head gasket from old engine die to new one being bent.

Tried both new plug and old from the engine that ran.

Replaced fuel valve and added inline filter.

Started with gas to oil mixture 1 gal to 7 oz. have since switched to 5oz to 1 gal.

Purchased and installed new CDI. Verified spark by putting a drill on magnet with clutch in and plug on head.

Fuel is dripping out of exhaust and plug is wet.

Tried new carb and old from the engine that ran.

Checked key on magnet and is at 1 o’clock.

Tried new and used magnito.

Disconnected kill switch.

Tried GT6 head and the one that comes with the engine.

Verified arrow is pointing at exhaust.

Readjusted engine so carb is more level.

Please help!!

How fast do I need to pedal and how long to get a new engine running? It’s hot and flat here in SoCal and I need to get this thing running so I can drink beer and admire my creation!

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
With fuel dripping out the pipe being a clue my best guess is the motor is flooded. I would take the plug out, turn the fuel off, hold the carb wide open, and do whatever you have to do to turn the motor over and pump it out.

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
Are you saying the fuel is in the crank case? Flip the bike over and let it all drain out? Or empty the carb and cylinder?

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
When you have a wet plug and fuel dripping out the pipe there's obviously too much fuel in there somewhere. Where doesn't matter. You just need to get it out! However you do that is up to you.

I just recently had to replace a leaky needle and seat in an old dirt bike over this same issue. The leak caused the fuel level to be too high in the float bowl which caused a whole buncha fuel to get sucked into the cylinder and it wouldn't start no more. Flooded. Drowning in it's own juices.

The clue here was a puddle of fuel under the bike when someone didn't turn the petcock off on the gas tank. Overnight the leak filled the entire bowl and and it overflowed onto the ground AND, more importantly, into the cylinder.

In that case before I even put the carb back on I pulled the plug and and kicked it for a good long while to get all the excess fuel out. Carb on, plug in, 1 kick ....

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
Pulled carb exhaust and plug. First trip out of the driveway A LOT of fuel shot out the exhaust. Up and down the driveway about 20ft for a couple hours on and off till the exhaust was pretty dry. Hooked everything back up, turned on the gas and tried again. Nothing. I have the barrel barely opens using about a half to full turn on the idle screw. Didn’t tough the plunger. Figured I would let the float do it’s job. Tried riding down the street about 4 times peddling about 20 yards at a time with the clutch engaged. I’m not even hearing any pops or any sign of it trying to start. No more fuel coming about of the exhaust.

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I dunno and I wish I could help, but these things are difficult over the internet ...

There's only 3 things tho. Spark at the right time. The right air/fuel ratio. And decent compression. Ya just gotta keep digging.

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
I flipped the magnet to the 11 o’clock position. I get a pop every few pedals or so. The magnet is super lose on the key. I’m contacting the company for a new motor. Can’t see how it will get timed if it’s a guess on where it should be as loose as it is.

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
28F61497-5A13-48E8-A9C4-317708C404E2.jpeg
I got it running at the 11 o’clock position. Isn’t running as smooth as I thought it would but it’s running. Now to get it to idle.

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
So you think I should put it back to the 1 position? It wouldn’t start at all there.

Madddog

Jul 27, 2019
Just flipped the magnet to 1 and it wouldn’t start. Flipped it back to 11 and it fired right up. About a half turn on the idle adjust and she’s running just fine. The 1 o’clock 11 o’clock really messed with me. I only found 1 video on YouTube that said put it at 11 and another guy said why not try it.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It makes absolutely no sense that it runs with the magnet at 11 o'clock!!

Just so we're on the same page... this is the magnet at 1 o'clock... post a picture of yours.

66cc magnet.jpg