63 Schwinn Bobber

GoldenMotor.com

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Here is my second build. It started off as a 63 Schwinn American. I cut, chopped, stretched and completely altered until I came up with what I wanted. It has a pre war Schwinn springer front fork and a hand made gas tank I built out of an old fire extinguisher. I decided to add the ape hangers just for a different look. The exhaust pipe is 1” stainless tubing that I bent and adder to the original header. Makes for a nice throaty sound. Actuall rides nice and smooth.
D70E32F7-FB23-4D1E-B2B0-B3DCB6A8B481.jpeg
2B7918B6-EB50-4867-8FA9-E43A1173438A.jpeg
1101DF29-5A0D-4CB3-A0C5-9370FE24FA21.jpeg
95D17A8D-5689-4FF3-B59C-8B27523D9488.jpeg

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not sure as picture hard to tell if there is a hole on fork where you can add front brake, caliper or V-brake. Cause I remember long ago I went down a hill on a bike, no engine, but chain fell off. Next thing thinking fast as I got down low for better center of gravity and tried not to hit anything like the side walk and guard rail for it. Nor also off the curb and into oncoming automobile traffic. Finally got to near bottom of hill where I swerved a large concentric circle in muddy grass. I was not even on the seat at that point but dragging feet and on the bar straddled til the tires sunk down a few inches into the muck and put chain back on. Now 1/2 a century later they have trees growing at that spot so soil and grass would not help someone in a similar situation.

Reactions: indian22

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Not sure as picture hard to tell if there is a hole on fork where you can add front brake, caliper or V-brake. Cause I remember long ago I went down a hill on a bike, no engine, but chain fell off. Next thing thinking fast as I got down low for better center of gravity and tried not to hit anything like the side walk and guard rail for it. Nor also off the curb and into oncoming automobile traffic. Finally got to near bottom of hill where I swerved a large concentric circle in muddy grass. I was not even on the seat at that point but dragging feet and on the bar straddled til the tires sunk down a few inches into the muck and put chain back on. Now 1/2 a century later they have trees growing at that spot so soil and grass would not help someone in a similar situation.
I'm not a big fan of front brakes, even though I have and use them on my mountain and road bikes. I have been thinking about about adding a rear rim brake. This ride I have geared pretty low, I made it more for a putting around ride rather than a speed demon. Like with all my builds, they are never done, I always seem to find something to tweak or change.

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
None on top Kool.............Curt
I took the lower bars out below the tank and flipped the upper bars between the seat post and the rear axle. The pre WWII springer fork I installed backwards so that the pivot point was forward a couple inches. It gave me the look I was looking for. Originally I was going to sand it all down and paint it, but I kind of like the “Rat” look and I’m not scared to ride and scratch it .

Reactions: indian22

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I took the lower bars out below the tank and flipped the upper bars between the seat post and the rear axle. The pre WWII springer fork I installed backwards so that the pivot point was forward a couple inches. It gave me the look I was looking for. Originally I was going to sand it all down and paint it, but I kind of like the “Rat” look and I’m not scared to ride and scratch it .
I am with you on that ride the heck out of it, and don't have to worry, thanks for the info............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Really neat build Old B' and the comments on it are super!& coming from a bunch of guys that know their stuff around bikes! I really just noticed the thread this morning but glad I checked your work out. I'm a fan of bobber style from post WW two cycles to just pedal bikes and all in between. Your stretch and lower provided a good platform to work with and provided the room to make it all work. 5 inch stretch is typical to what I've used on several of my own bikes and 3" drop makes the bike look racy just sitting on the stand. Lower center of gravity plus longer wheelbase should help the handling and ride too.

Extinguisher tank is super. Some bikes just don't require paint to look great, though some builds need great paint just to look ok.

Great work!

Rick C.

Reactions: Oldbiscuit