51 schwinn panther re-fined

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Read the whole thread today and must say I'm a fan of the Panther frame and both your builds. Your reed valve motor is (externally) quite similar to one I have on the shelf awaiting a re-build (top-end) and a frame to put it in. Your pea shooter forks are vintage elegant...nice all round. Rick C.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
i just ordered a btr seat sportsman flyer are making they look very good quality and the price is so cool indeed thank's PAT,cant wait to get this here to weld the tag's on then bling bling powder coat
the seat will have the sportsman logo on the flap and thinking i might match the tank with some art work on the seat as i will have some time while my pockets are fulling back up for more part's

Attachments

DEVILSorchard

Jan 1, 2015
Calgary
That's a really cool bike.

looks to me like a 1910's model 10 with a JD / peashooter front end. To me that just makes it cooler, I imagine back in the day the factory racers on the track had a few springer front ends strapped to full rigid models. Gives it even more of that factory racer vibe.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
That's a really cool bike.

looks to me like a 1910's model 10 with a JD / peashooter front end. To me that just makes it cooler, I imagine back in the day the factory racers on the track had a few springer front ends strapped to full rigid models. Gives it even more of that factory racer vibe.
thank's buddy
you are right i just goggled a model 10 harley,i should of seen this earlier and maybe put a whizzer engine on this build then it would of run a belt drive look a like
i enjoyed the read i just had on the harley 6 model too cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Mick,
Looking good! Is that the shorter seat, and I noticed the absence of the cut-out. I'd like to see a dead on side profile when it's welded in. I now have the problem of needing seats for 2 Panthers.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
G'day Chainmaker,
how you going ,the seat is from Pat the new cheaper btr style shame it is missing the cut out but for the price it sure is a well made seat that looks good too
i can take a photo for you

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yeah Pat makes some good stuff. I just worry that the seats may look a little big on the Panther, is yours the shorter version.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
i alway's thought the same that it would be to big but it is very good i believe its not to big for the panther in saying this i would say it is smaller version as it is 9 1/2 inch wide
i cut into the frame on the front mount to give it a lower stance

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
i just come across this rare A.S 35 stamped dogleg crank re-chromed ,and this very nice new harley davidson bicycle crank ring, very expensive combo to get it here,i think it would set of this bike build perfect but then finding a chain and a rear cog to fit the hub i using would run into gold :-||
i just measured and the crank will hit into the motor so no good glad i done this before i brought these bugger

Attachments

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
A little history on the seats. My first Mesinger seat pans were based on an original design in size and work well on bigger bikes. For smaller bikes they do look a bit large. I have updated the design twice now. First, I shortened it about 2" and that is now my standard Mesinger seat. It's expensive, so I went a bit further to reduce cost by removing the middle cutout, and then used a lower cost leather.
I now offer the expensive leather seat with cutout area and eith type of logo in the flap.
The low cost seat is as explained above.
Both of these seats have the same overall, and smaller, physical dimensions.
I still use the larger first version on all my race bikes as it allows me to sit further back on the bike and get into a better tuck.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
i have worked out my spacing for the front fork's to a 100mm hub disc with this straight through 15mm axle with 135mm and spacing, bolt's up with 10mm bolt's and gives me just enough room to run a disc,now to work out the caliper mount and lace some wheel's to these hub's

Attachments