49cc piston

GoldenMotor.com

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
I know that there are two different size pistons, is that only for 66/80cc or does the 49cc have two differant sizes? I just bought a reed valve and wanted a windowed piston (or modify one) but everywhere ive looked they don’t specify if it is a 40mm or 38mm.
The place where i bought my kit from says its a 38mm stroke

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I haven't seen every possible configuration of these motors, but I doubt there is a 40mm stroke on any of the small motors. Knowing the size of your piston, you could measure distance from skirt to wristpin hole on a pic at site you are ordering from and see if it is same as measurement on your actual piston.

Reactions: Hashbrown

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
I haven't seen every possible configuration of these motors, but I doubt there is a 40mm stroke on any of the small motors. Knowing the size of your piston, you could measure distance from skirt to wristpin hole on a pic at site you are ordering from and see if it is same as measurement on your actual piston.
Now can i use the reed valve without a windowed piston, Or will it just run like crap?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most folks seem to get best result with cutting windows - probably works that way for any reed setup, but a reed user would know more

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
So zeda made 2 youtube videos using bolt on reed valves. They put the motor on a dyno, they first tried it with just the reed valve and it cut the hp by more than half then they tried it again but added a windowed piston and it barely made 1hp.
So it looks like the bolt-ons aren’t worth the money.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I know that there are two different size pistons, is that only for 66/80cc or does the 49cc have two differant sizes? I just bought a reed valve and wanted a windowed piston (or modify one) but everywhere ive looked they don’t specify if it is a 40mm or 38mm.
The place where i bought my kit from says its a 38mm stroke
A 48 cc piston is 40 mm OD and inly comes in 38 mm stroke.
Some 48 cc pistons have a flat top and others have a dome which are the only differences I know of.
What kind of reed valve?

Hashbrown

Jan 15, 2018
Sorry if i wasnt clear I meant that the 2hp motor lost 1hp in both tests.
It was with the RSE reed valve.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
there was one report of reeds too stiff to fully open, but not sure if that was a flaw or true for all