3 Speed IGH

GoldenMotor.com

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
I have a shimano nexus 3 speed coaster brake hub, i plan on running a jackshaft to the hub, but my concern is the coaster brake, will the brake activate upon deceleration or will it work fine? can i convert it to fixed? i have access to a welder, mill, and lathe. the goal here is I'm going to remove the pedal crank assemble and weld to foot pegs on. turning the bike into basically a push start motorcycle, I'm retaining the manual clutch (80cc ht 2 stroke) for starting and take offs, any input or ideas are highly appreciated xct2

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have a shimano nexus 3 speed coaster brake hub, i plan on running a jackshaft to the hub, but my concern is the coaster brake, will the brake activate upon deceleration or will it work fine? can i convert it to fixed? i have access to a welder, mill, and lathe. the goal here is I'm going to remove the pedal crank assemble and weld to foot pegs on. turning the bike into basically a push start motorcycle, I'm retaining the manual clutch (80cc ht 2 stroke) for starting and take offs, any input or ideas are highly appreciated xct2
I'm not sure on the coaster brake set-up, but I installed a Nexus 3-spd with disc brake on a tandem using the stokers (rear) bottom bracket as the jackshaft. As the rear cranks and pedals were removed, I added footpegs for the rider on back. The engine powering the tandem was a 124cc Kawasaki 4-stroke. I raced the tandem solo at Willow Springs and by the end of the racing day the hub was pretty much toast. It was a blast while it lasted, shifted like a champ! Was running the engine through a Q-matic tranny with a 10:1 gear ratio........you'ld have to factor in the 3-speeds to get the different ratios for each gear but it work great for a day.

Good luck with your set-up

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
Thats reassuring lol. I got the hub for free. But i want it to work, because my rear hubs are failing, but i havent even had to service my front hub yet, plus more gears would be better

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thats reassuring lol. I got the hub for free. But i want it to work, because my rear hubs are failing, but i havent even had to service my front hub yet, plus more gears would be better
Yeah, my buddy Pat and I had pretty high hopes of the hub working out.......paid $100 more than free and I had a great tme racing this beast by myself.

Give it a try, it didn't cost you anything. Shift smooth and be too hard on it.....it may hold up ok to the little china girl motor.

Here's the build of the tandem (re-build actually) and how I mounted the hub w/disc brake......

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29091

Check out post #87

dnut

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
That thing is sick!! How fast did/ does it go? Mine was originaly built for a commuter to work 5 days a week from fountain valley to anaheim via santa ana bike trail, i need reliability, i finnaly fixed the magneto failures and now hub issues ive already blown out 2 and huffy is stupid and keeps sending me parts,(yes even my igh is from them) they dont even charge shipping just say bearing failure(they dont stock bearings and have to send wheel) and model # of bike(found on there website) provide adress and they send it. But i need reliability even if it means new bearings every 500 miles.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That thing is sick!! How fast did/ does it go? Mine was originaly built for a commuter to work 5 days a week from fountain valley to anaheim via santa ana bike trail, i need reliability, i finnaly fixed the magneto failures and now hub issues ive already blown out 2 and huffy is stupid and keeps sending me parts,(yes even my igh is from them) they dont even charge shipping just say bearing failure(they dont stock bearings and have to send wheel) and model # of bike(found on there website) provide adress and they send it. But i need reliability even if it means new bearings every 500 miles.
We've had it up to 50mph on flat ground with two people on it. We have a brand new Honda GX160 with electric that's going on it now......should be a little faster!

dnut