2Door's Titan Trike

GoldenMotor.com

PatrickW

Mar 20, 2010
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I came in a little late, here...but, here's my two cents. Tom, Ron, yes your bikes are made by the same company in Bradenton, Fl. Check out, Welcome to Trailmate! Manufacturer of Specialty Cycles.. The single seater is the Joyrider, and the two seater is the Double Joyrider...they were both designed as 'special needs' trikes. I am riding the Trailmate Meteor. Tom, we have spoken before, so you know how much I like that goofy little trike. I am glad, tho that you whipped some engineering prowess on the frame and closed up that gaping side. I was kinda worried about the torque issues on that single piece of piping it originally had. Now it should be quite stable...and the wheelie extensions would be a good idea. Y'all remember the bars we used to weld on the tail end of the frame on 'Funny Cars' (or aren't there any old drag racers out there?<g>)

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that, except that Tom, you made a 'Work of Art' out of a nearly cast away piece of junk.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pat is just too darn modest to show his work so I'll do it for him. This is one sweet trike and I want the guys here to see what kind of work Pat does. And hey, anybody who drives a Ford Ranger has to be all right in my book.
Tom

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Beauty Pat!

Welcome and great to meet ya. Any friend of Tom's, .... hehe

Would love to see your gearing and mount. Looks awesome.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Guy`s, I Had To Move My Joyrider Today To Get My Small Trailer Out To Haul A Lawn Mower Purchase. It Looks Sad And Neglected. I Still Hope To Build It With A Titan And Cvt. I Bought The Staton Axle Adapter Near 2 Yrs Ago. Pat, Nice Ride!! Ron

PatrickW

Mar 20, 2010
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Once again, very nice machine, Tom.

I hadn’t intended to bore y’all with a post about all of the details of my build; however, since I have been invited by both Tom and Ron to do so, I might as well.<g> [I don’t toot my own horn much.]

So, here is a slightly redacted copy of an email I sent to Dave Staton, including pictures. It pretty well outlines the whole build, and I thought that some of you might be interested in how I did it, and what the finished product looks like...along with a pic of the stupid builder.
"Dave--

I’m really sorry that I haven’t gotten back to you before now, but due to health problems and other obstacles I have been very slow in correspondence. I didn’t want to write to you till I had something substantial to say.

Yes, I had to make quite a few modifications to your mounting bracket and braces (since the first pics I took) to make it work on the Trailmate Meteor. I had to move all of the mounting points around to take into account an "extra" bar that the Trailmate Meteor has, that the Sun, et. al. don’t have. You should see that in the photos. Without moving the attachment points for the ‘all thread’, I would not have been able to get clearance for the drive chain under that bar, and keep the motor reasonably level. It would have hung too low in the back, and even changing the main mounting bracket wouldn't have helped (even if I had the equipment to do that.) But everything worked out okay in the end, and the whole mount is snug and secure.

I switched the lightweight 20" aluminum rear wheels for some husky skyway mag/composite wheels and tougher tires and tubes. I plan to change the front wheel to one a little larger than the 16" one that is on it now, but that will take a slight fork extension and some brake changes. So, I'll hold off on that one for now. Since the hub on the original rear wheels is so unique, I plan to [sometime in the future] have them re-threaded to really wide rims so I can use a set of about 3” wide tires. That would be perfect for the sort of riding I do.

Another modification was made necessary when a well-intentioned neighbor walked over to the garage to check on my progress and accidentally knocked the kill switch onto the floor. In his attempt to pick it up, he managed to step on it. (Go figure!) Since it was 'fubar,' I just tossed it in the trash. Made a quick trip to Radio Shack, tho, and he bought me a heavy-duty toggle switch and small, weather- proof utility box. I soldered the connections, put it together using clear silicone, and mounted it on the frame slightly under the seat for extra protection. It is, however, quite accessible.

I have taken as many detailed and up-close pics as I thought necessary to show the final build with modifications, and am sending them along to you. I will also post a copy of this email and attachments on the forum at Motoredbikes.com. The engine is running fine and is about what I'd call ‘fully broken in’. I’ve taken it in stages so I wouldn't burn anything up, and have changed the oil several times since I started riding it (she only takes about 3 1/2 oz. and is cheap insurance.) I cajoled a local Deputy to clock me on the radar for a ¼ mile stretch on a flat road...42mph! The Meteor is quite stable at that speed. It was not 'over-responsive', and not the least bit ‘skittish’ (altho I wouldn’t run it at that speed for long.)

Engine and gearbox seem to be just fine, but the (4) rear axle bearings are going to have to be beefed up. It cruises quite comfy at 25-30 mph. I’m sending a mess of picts so you can see what I have done. Hope this helps on your next bracket for the Trailmate Meteor...it seems to be just an Odd Duck apart from the rest of the trikes.

Thanks for everything, Dave. God Bless.

PatrickW

Attach Images:

Attachments

PatrickW

Mar 20, 2010
SW Florida Gulf Coast
Re: 2Door's Titan Trike--2

For anyone interrested, here are three more important photos of the guts of the drive train. I have 21 pedal gears (as we know only comes to about 13 or so gears if you shift properly), and the drive gear on the Staton gear box has 14 teeth. This is the one that gave me 42 mph out of that little Robin-Subaru EH035 4-stroke. That is one marvelous little engine with a great oil system. I also have an 18 tooth drive gear for the Staton gear box, but I am a little hesitant to put it on. <grin>

PatrickW

Anyway, here come the final three pics:

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see twin Titans...:)
Now that would be a cool ride if there ever was one. Instead of giving the passenger the option of pedaling you could give him/her the option of starting the second engine..Too neat. Thanks Ron.
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Was All Excited About It At First. He Told Me He Would Take $425, What He Needed To Get A "bob" Style One Wheel Bicycle Trailer. I Thought I Might Add A Small "t Bucket" Back Box For Engine. I Have Too Many Unfinished Deals Already!! Lol. I Thought It Would Be Interesting To Show Members. Has Anyone Ever Seen Another One? Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tom 2 Doors

Have Not Heard About "joy Riding" Since The Snow Melted. What Is The Trike Like On Dry Road`s And The Frame Fix. Been Thinking Of Pm To You. Ron

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom 2 Doors

Have Not Heard About "joy Riding" Since The Snow Melted. What Is The Trike Like On Dry Road`s And The Frame Fix. Been Thinking Of Pm To You. Ron
Ron,
I was so involved in the paint job on the Jag that I haven't ridden much in the last few days.
The trike is my beer wagon. Whenever I need a couple of six packs I fire up the Titan and head down to the liquor store. The thing always draws a crowd. Last Sunday evening I rode it down to Dairy Queen where the hot rodders meet. I parked it next to a red 'T' Roadster and told the owner that my trike looked like his car so I wanted to park next to him. It got lots of laughs and attention. I put a 12 volt Aaaa--ooooo--Gaaa horn on it. Really loud and makes people laugh. Fun ride but I have 3 bikes and the trike so choosing which to ride is a challenge. Guess I need to unload some hardware.
Tom