2016 EXCELSIOR Board Tracker Flat Head Build

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
A couple updated pictures, working on bars for the bike, options which I hate...have to call on wolf junior for help which hurts in one way but helps in so many other ways...I dig the the bars with the cross bar... Can't do the internal throttle in that one, bent up a few today...we like the stainless short ones in this house...1 inch

And that motor is done and ready for install...she is cute....with a bite for sure...

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thursday's update, yesterday I received a package I had been waiting for from Sportsman Flyer Pat, opening it up and seeing what he has produced just is amazing...nothing like his products and the quality. He gave up one of the custom setups he had designed for the DGE hub that I am running, adapter and quick change split sprocket setup...its killer!!! Another item is the reduction drive setup...also killer, I just shake my head and smile as I look at these items. Pictures show it, but the bike will represent it!!!

Working on small items that take time, top adjustable motor mount that will slide for chain adjustment using the old motor mount on the frame. Figuring out the internal throttle is another thing, want to use 7/8 bars but the control requires 1" bars...got an idea lets see if it works. Trying to find a nice reverse internal brake lever is not easy, would like something vintage if possible: any leads would help guys...

Attachments

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Jeff, there are a bunch of the inverted levers on eBay. They have both 7/8" and 1". Here's a couple links.

Link 1

Link 2

The bike's looking good, looking forward to seeing it in action.

Gilbert

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Yup. Thats what I was going to suggest. Ordered stuff from India off the bay before and had no problems. I had the same problem with wanting an internal in the FM build. ended up having one mandrel bent out of 1" so it would work.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Just keeps getting better and better. Your right the quality parts are worth it. I'm a Super X fan!

Rick C.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been staring at the flat head photo last posted. So simple & elegant that the Old guy was mentally transported to the late fifties & a simpler time. The sights and sounds of '49 & '50's Fords and Mercs "dragging Main street on saturday nights glass packs, Smitty's and "lake pipes" singing a most pleasant melody.
I was at the time modifying a badly worn & 'wanked out Cushman 8 hp scooter, flat head of course. Thirteen years young and into the need for speed. Bartel's machine shop align bored the jug .030 over size, decked it, smoothed and matched the ports milled the head to boost compression (I'd already spent many hours polishing to a mirror finish by hand), balanced the rotating assembly, shaved the flywheel & cooked it in the acid bath...all for $30.!! I installed (under the watchful eye of a fine mechanic) the "full race" Isky regrind cam shaft. The cam core was returned to Isky for a $5. rebate) and springs, Jahns piston and Grant rings installed; all these Cushman speed parts were purchased through the southern California speed shop Honest Charley's and selected from one of their mail order catalogs... along with a Dellorto round slide carb scavanged from a small foreign bike found in a salvage yard? Of course the baffle was pulled and the sound was similar to the burble pop of a one tube Harley flat head. Ran great & only the big 4 speed Mustang scooters could deal with it in a race. All these good memories were brought back to life through sharing your excellent flat head build with old guys like me and encouraging everyone of all ages to dream and build. Rick C.
What a well written post this is.
SB

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
A couple pictures of the reduction drive setup, going to have to be creative for back wheel alignment...starting the polishing on the parts. Broke down and got the kit off amazon, buffing and polishing wheels and the mix of compounds...same day I ordered it showed up..just amazing...now trying to get my son to do this dirty work. Said I would pay him $20 to do it, asked how long it would take...said 4 hours...his reply I am not working for $5 and hour...my reply...if you do it in 2 hours that $10 an hour...little does he know it's less than an hour to complete....Kids...

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Big thanks to Harold B for the link, just what I was looking for and local, ordered them. Bent some more bars and going in a different way to match the slim lines of the frame. Got all of that sportsman flyer parts all polished up...hope Pat likes it, sure gave it a nice fresh look...may not want to ride this bike or clean it.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Waiting for parts to arrive and the brake levers showed up, I like them. Made some different type bars to go with the slim lines of the bike, 1 inch stainless not sure if I will polish or leave as is. Would like to get it done with out paint for the Culver City Car Show on the 7th but don't want to push it...trust me I have plenty of bikes for the show...May have to be the KTM killer...With DMB on the handle bars...

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Well it's been awhile since I posted, a few pictures of some updates. The drive chain is a monster to get past the rear 1 inch tubes, had to add an idler sprocket for chain clearance...it was some work... All good now, next onto the other 30 things to complete....build on fellow members...

Attachments

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Your build is looking great & there's no subsequent qualifications to that statement!

Those who've built "one off" bikes recognize the work you are putting into this project & through common experience some of the problems you've encountered & solved along the way...not compromised solutions, but reality based answers resulting in improved functionality & safety. All this in a beautifully conceived & constructed moto-bicycle as well. While I'm certain your completed bike will be a crowd favorite wherever it's shown or ridden...though few will truly understand what you put into it's construction. I'm also convinced that on occasion someone will also recognize what it represents in both time & dedication & that's at least a part of the reason for giving your in all you do.

Rick C

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
It's been around 11 days since I have posted, busy I guess I can say with health issues...hopefully it ain't bad. Thanks Indian22 for alway posting good comments since I am more of a builder than a writer.

A few pictures of some of the progress: like I always say it's the little things that take time, trying to get it all sorted out before powder coating.

Attachments