2 Stroke Vs. 4 Stroke

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
So I’ve been seeing a lot of back and forth between the people who prefer 2 Strokes over the 4 Strokes and vise versa, and I was wondering which is actually the best overall. And why is that the best? I’m new to all of this and I would like to make an informed decision before I spend the money. So I would really love you’ll guys’ help and expertise on this subject.
Thanks!
-Alex

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia U.S.A.
This question is like asking if a Ford is better than a Chevy or Dodge, everyone has their preference. I can't help with four strokes since I haven't owned a four stroke bicycle. I have owned several dirt bike of both types, in smaller cc engines 2-stroke is easy to install. The four stroke will require a little more work, members like VMB who has built many of both could help a lot more.

Reactions: Alex Behan

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I personally think the 2-strokes are more fun, (not to mention faster, lighter, easier to install & less expensive)... The down side is that they're less reliable & you have to mix gas & oil together to fill the tank.

The 49cc 4-strokes are slower, heavier, harder to install, less powerful & more expensive... but the up side is that they last longer & you can simply pull into a gas station & fill the tank if you run out of gas.... also as mentioned by Greg is that the only 49cc transmission that I'll use is the 7G Ghost Racer by GasBike.net... It has a very reliable bely drive (without a freewheel)... All the others IMHO are junk.

The larger 4-strokes (like the 212cc) have tons of power, but they're very difficult to install (& keep maintained).

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
If you are able to purchase (they are hard to find) and ride a well built 212cc motorized bicycle you will never be the same. You won’t be able to say, “I ain’t never had too much fun.”

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
I personally think the 2-strokes are more fun, (not to mention faster, lighter, easier to install & less expensive)... The down side is that they're less reliable & you have to mix gas & oil together to fill the tank.

The 49cc 4-strokes are slower, heavier, harder to install, less powerful & more expensive... but the up side is that they last longer & you can simply pull into a gas station & fill the tank if you run out of gas.... also as mentioned by Greg is that the only 49cc transmission that I'll use is the 7G Ghost Racer by GasBike.net... It has a very reliable bely drive (without a freewheel)... All the others IMHO are junk.

The larger 4-strokes (like the 212cc) have tons of power, but they're very difficult to install (& keep maintained).
Why are the larger 4-Strokes harder to install and keep maintained?

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
The larger 4 strokes, if I may partially answer your question, weigh almost 40 pounds. They are big. They shake, rattle and roll. Someone with a lot of experience has to weld and/or cnc metal parts then bolt them together to make a precise mounting system. Slightly modified they have a lot of power, so the entire drive train, clutch, brakes, suspension, steering, tires and wheels etc. should be checked close regularly. Thank you.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've had my Robin Subaru 35 which is a 33cc 4 stroke for 11 years now. It was very easy to install since it's a rear rack mount. I also run through a triple chainring shift kit; the reduction range is 66.79:1 to 16.25:1. This enables me to do with a small cc engine what most larger cc engines can do. I also use a reduction gear box instead of a reduction belt drive.

20210704_204623.jpg

20210704_204744.jpg

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks for pointing it out. So I understand if you don’t know but why does a 4-Stroke rattle and move about more?
It was pretty much already said... The large 4-strokes are big, heavy powerful beasts... & all single cylinder engines are impossible (by design) to perfectly balance... & to add to the problem; all the available 'bolt on' engine mounts available are inadequate.

As zean said, 'it takes someone with welding & fabricating experience to make a proper mounting system for them'

Alex Behan

Oct 21, 2021
New Bern, NC
It was pretty much already said... The large 4-strokes are big, heavy powerful beasts... & all single cylinder engines are impossible (by design) to perfectly balance... & to add to the problem; all the available 'bolt on' engine mounts available are inadequate.

As zean said, 'it takes someone with welding & fabricating experience to make a proper mounting system for them'
Ah okay. Well thanks for the insight!