1941 Simplex in the works

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Im in love with that Gravley but Wolf's suggestion in post #14 would be a much more doable and meet your speed / torque goals. Hey CCC where you get those Raptors? Can you get em pre built or do you have to piece and part them togather on your own?
I purchased two of them local some time ago on a sweet deal, I ended up building it up myself. Its no longer made so you will have to search. I really like the fact of the intake and exhaust come out the back.

mexlas

Apr 15, 2010
California
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
20171024_165741.jpg
Hello all,

I just installed the predator and I am having mixed feelings about the look. I will be going with another engine choice. Attached are a few engine choices, your feedback would be appreciated.

By the way, the Predator setup was fun and very fast. The brakes needs a serious upgrade.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The difference I notice from the outside from 5S to 6S is one extra fin on the cylinder You can check on Smokstack.com to see many old engine made of cast iron.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Cast iron one is about a 1 hp. depends on intake hole size. And i think it is older then the 5S and 6S, they were for washing machines and the like. I have a couple of them, model N i think, been a while. LOL The predators look a lot better if you stand them up right, like sports car pat and others do.
My choice would be the Miller race engine...........Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Just a couple of observations Marc. The 5 hp Miller engine will take on a totally different personality once the cooling shroud and fuel tank are removed. A relatively smooth billet flywheel is a great investment in performance, safety & appearance. A look at Jeff's beautiful motor verify's and starting with a heavy duty cordless electric drill is easy...save the shoulder by elimination & clutter of the pull type recoil starter mechanism.

Though the rear drum is hidden I'm guessing it's a Sturmey Archer drum hub, laced to a 36 spoke bicycle wheel. It should be easy to buy a matching front wheel with a SA drum hub to match the rear. I used that front setup on a Simplex dual spring fork for my Harley Davidson Pea shooter build & it worked out great. It stops the HD well & looks great, though bicycle disc caliper & rotor stop quicker you do loose a bit of vintage look with that setup. I'll post a photo latter of the SA drum brake on Simplex forks.

I really like the stance your Simplex presents, very clean. Rick C