1903 Harley Tribute - Quick & Dirty

GoldenMotor.com

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
OK so a drinking bud came up to me and said he wanted a 1903 Harley tribute bike and offered some cash. So.... I am going to build one. I bought a Huffy Cruiser and here is what Ima gonna do.

1903 Harley pic

Starter bike

starter bike stripped and frame cut

frame laid out w/ desired frame & tank mods

overlay pic on top of 1903 Harley

I was going to make the tube below the crank follow the 1903, however it looked odd w/ a tiny 2 stroke motor so I chose not to leave a huge hole under the motor. I shall fill the void w/ something to resemble a crankcase or oil reservoir. Im open to ideas & suggestions !!Thinking of adding a tool box tin behind the seat like the 1903. I'm planning on using a hose bib type shutoff on the gas tank and adding a glass sediment bowl. I have bought a Brooks knockoff saddle from ebay.

Im building this for my buddy and he has given some input on what he wants so it will not be a perfect replica. He wants an olive green color like a 1915 Harley w/ dark green accents. I will stick w/ chain drive and use a 2 stroke. I shall use the rims in the pics ( I will paint the rims a dark green ). He also wants white wall tires, so will not go w/ white tires. I will build the tank from scratch. I've ordered a springer front end and will put a Harley decal I got off of ebay on the tank. Im hoping to get the bike done in the next few weeks, quick n dirty. Im hoping to pick up the round tubing and sheet metal Monday and get moving on this project. Here goes.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Check out my thread "Blood Thursty" for Faux crank case assembly, you can read a little bit to see how it was done and still make your down loop follow the lines you'd like.

If I may also add, you might check out the Thruster fixie sold at Wal Mart for the same price with the exception of the wheels and 12 gauge spokes it is a better base for the type of build you want to do, but with a pair of Electra Cream colored Amsterdam 700cx40 would give you that period correct look.

The Thruster Frame would give you the style you need for example instead of curved rear frame stays they'd be straight like the Harley, horizontal rear drop outs and a pair of ten speed forks would fit the front unless you want to use existing forks as a base for a set up like the Monark Springer. and half you camel back top is already there at the back of the frame starting from the seat post.

Just my opinion and thoughts, I like Authenic & Period Correct, some people like just kinda authentic looking something or another, Hope ? you check it out

Good Luck!

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Im going to use the Monarchs on another build. I will use Schwinn style on the 1903 per my bud's request

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
yuppo Trucked, I done chopped it up. It had a hard life. I got the bike mainly for the Monarch forks.

I do see that the Thruster fixie would be a good starter. I'll be scouring CList for future builds

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I dunno what guage metal the Thruster is made out of, but Im sure the old grey ghost is thicker. However the Thruster Im sure will do. I do like the lines and the dropouts. Guessing one would have to spread the chainstays for 2.15" tires

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Spreading lower frame stays isn't as complicated as you'd think and since the wheels are 700c (same size as 28"), another good frame to use is an older Huffy Mountain bike often sold at thrift stores very cheap! here is one I built with the Huffy cruiser wheels and another off ebay currently at $40.oo(12 Gauge spokes) and all you have to do is the down loop tube.
The Thruster Fixie is Chrom Molly steel frame, the bike is actually a nice quality bike for a Wally World bike at $99.99

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Spreading lower frame stays isn't as complicated as you'd think and since the wheels are 700c (same size as 28"), another good frame to use is an older Huffy Mountain bike often sold at thrift stores very cheap! here is one I built with the Huffy cruiser wheels and another off ebay currently at $40.oo(12 Gauge spokes) and all you have to do is the down loop tube.
The Thruster Fixie is Chrom Molly steel frame, the bike is actually a nice quality bike for a Wally World bike at $99.99
Just to clarify or expand on what Trukd said, a 700c wheel is the same as a modern 28" wheel (622mm) but isn't the same as a vintage 28" bicycle wheel (635mm)........ Confusing hey? Make sure you check which wheel you have and which tyre you buy...... I have a vintage 28" frame and fitted a 700c wheel set and was disappointed with the gap between the wheel and frame. I've since tracked down a vintage 28" wheel set. The two wheel sets are quite different.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yes! Harry you are right there are some French Metrics involved, here is a link for a tire I was looking at that will fit a host of size requirements with a nice vintage appeal to it.
This site offers a nice selection of tires for a variety of size requirements

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicyc...e/cst-bicycle-tire-28x1-75-travel-reflection/

Building a tribute bike with modern components is different from restoring a vintage bike with vintage parts or combining the new with the old, but to build new with new should be much easier to replicate a vintage build such as the Harley, I have even found the a 700c x 45 wheel and tire set is comparable (very Close too) to 28" x 2.00 wheel set (Not! exact) to the antique spec's, sometimes though those micro mm's can get in the way.

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I find the 1.75s too skinny. Much prefer 2.125s. The Thrusters and Schwinn Continentals can be stretched to accommodate 2.125s correct?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I use the Avinier 700c x 38 thorn proof inner tube, (Dammnnn! Good! Tube thick as I don't know what?) but when inflated they seem to increase the width of the tire significantly.

Idealo.com and Moobilo.com sell a 28" wheel and 28" x 2.00 tire check out AxelKloen's thread, he has a more detailed hook up for them.

http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/459100/schwalbe-big-apple-28-x-2-00-50-622.html

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I sprang for a Huffy Saratoga and will see what I can do with that on the build. Im actually going to do 2 bikes. One for my buddy and another for fun.

Here is what I got. A Huffy Saratoga

It looks as it it will be a task spreading the chainstays to wedge in a 2.125" tire. I'll have to cut off the kickstand mount if I want to spread this bike out. I'm hoping to avoid expensive alternatives like them fancy European tires. Ohh well, here goes a learning experience.

QUESTION .. Do youse guys run w/ 1.75's on a vintage build or like to stick w/ 2.125's ??

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That's what I'm talking about and 1.75's ain't bad go to a local bike shop and check out some tires but you made a good choice with this one.
I bought my cream colored Electra Amsterdam from Amazon at $29.99 but that was a year ago.
Seriously! that's a good bike to start your build with.

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Truckd, yuppo I have been busy. I'm building 2 bikes. 1 w/ the schwinn and 1 w/ the Huffy Saratoga. I just finished brazing up the Huffy a few mins ago.

I have not yet figured out the motor mounts yet. I'm thinking of using the seatpost and the old downtube on them and gusset / brace them for additional support.

I had a fun time bending the 1" tubing using a 1" emt bender. 1" emt is 1.16 OD and the tubing is 1". I put some sheet steel into the bender to keep it tight and hit it w/ a torch and slowly bent the tubing. I have one small kink on one of the tubes. I caught it before it got too noticeable so I think it will be fine. My brazing it not beautiful looking yet, but I am getting there and the brazed joints are strong. I have done some testing both by past builds and destructive testing on sample pieces.

I extended the frames forward about 6" and kept the lines of the 1903. I did not bring the down tube as far down as the 1903 to keep the lines the way I like them. I will fabricate something for the bottom space.

I am having a bitc# of a time getting the steel for the gas tank, and I'm in Houston TX area. Go figure. All of the supply places sell steel in 4' x 8' sheets which will not fit in my PT cruiser and small shops either don't stock cold rolled steel or they don't want to mess with cutting small pieces for me. I ordered some 22ga from a shop and drove over to pick it up and it was galvanized. I am waiting for one shop to cut some 20ga for me..hoping..

Onward thru the fog !

Here ya go:

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Have you tried a 3" x 4"- 6" 16 gauge square tube for the gas tank that way all you have to do is cut front and back angles flat weld, bung and mounts, not trying to premote my bike or anything but here is a pic of my tank you may want to consider for your build a lot less time consuming and no side wabble in the tank, mine has been angled at front and back but yours would flat on both sides.

Your Saratoga looks good! did you use a plug all addition points before brazing ? I like it!

Attachments

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
HMMMM you got me thinking.. Is that 3" on your bike ?

I can get a 20' section 3" tubing cut into 3 pieces and fit it into my ride. hmmmmmm

I put a second bar on both bikes for the look and to add additional support. Yes, I sleeved each butt joint w/ a 6" piece of 1/2" pipe nipple. I brazed the nipple onto the frame, ground it down somewhat then butted the tubing up against the frame tube and finished it leaving a 3" section inside of each join.

Here is a shot of wassup before I aligned the 2nd tube and brazed it.

Last edited: