1/2 links for bicycle motor chain

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've looked at a few local bike shop for a half link for our engine chain. I've had no luck so far. Does anyone know of a plae that carries them?
Thanks,
EZ

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: 1/2 links

i found one on the net. 2.95 plus 8.00 shipping and handling. it came in the mail just before i left for hawaii and have who i got it from at home. i will check when i get back on the 10th and let you know where i got it and if it is worth a hoot. heard lots of mixed reviews so figured i would check one out myself

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

Hawaii...Must be nice! Thanks Cruiser, I'm looking forward for the info when you return home. Have fun

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento

Hi, well I hope you are not too disapointed to know that most half links are not worth putting on your bike.

Why not adjust your chains correctly and not use a half link?

I'm sure it was somewhere here that I had divuldged one of my special little inventions, the aluminum T-Shirt.

Far superior in every way, your engine remains bolted well, chains are intact, and easily replaceable, any time, any place (even the Wal Mart parking lot).

Mike

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
give #41 half links a try- local Ace hardware, around $2, Tractor Supply, 3 for $4.

[edit]

Oh, and what Mike is talking about is using 1/8" aluminum to as a shim at the rear motor mount to move the engine forward and take up the slack.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the half links they sell for a 415 suck. i ordered one and it was 1.99 plus $7.00 for shipping. they have a coter pin that hold them and i never used it. i am running a 411 chain now and real happy with it

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Man that's an expensive link! Or thievery in the shipping cost- it cost less than a dollar to send one, I sent deacon a section of chain with 5 links and it cost me about a dollar twenty.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
All the half links I have seen have a cotter pin- not to say that I have seen all of them, but I have one on my bicycle chain and a have some for the #41 on the engine- no need to use them, though.

roman415

May 15, 2008
I would NOT use half links. I bought one at a local bike shop (was 415 size) and the half link looked a slightly bigger than the rest of the chain. I did not initially give this any thought.. until I noticed it was getting caught on the motor (tight space) and ended up bending/ripping another master link.

I would just get a few master links to keep handy and use those.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the most reliable way to adjust and use your tension I have found and I have tried everything to the tune of two new rear wheels. Is to adjust for the motor chain then add the tensioner to the bicycle chain.