did a 987 mile trip from sudbury to wallaceburg and back again

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well I did another long ride this season from Sudbury to Wallaceburg and back again covering a total of 987 mile's in total over eight day's on the road heading out to killercanuks place where I spent the week resting up and hanging out. I left my place in Sudbury on august , 10th, 2013 at around 5:30 a.m. in the morning and arrived at my first rest stop in narin center at around 7:45 a.m. and had a coffee and rest there before making my way out to esponola for my rest stop number two at around 11: 30 a.m. later that morning. After esponola I made my way out to little current on manitoulin island where I preceded to make my way the rest of the way out to south bay mouth on the island. I arrived at south bay mouth on manitoulin island at around 3:45 p.m. and covered around 125 mile's on the first stretch before taking the ferry across to tobamorry. I waited for 3 hour's to take the ferry across lake huron. Didn't get on board the ferry till 5:45 p.m. I finally arrived at tobamorry at around 7:30 p.m. later that early eve where I preceded to make my way down highway 6 to the lone wolf coffee stand which I arrived there at around 10:30 p.m. that night to my first camp spot of my ride out. I covered a total of 136 mile's in 18 1/2 hours on my first day out. I at first set up camp just up the road from the lone wolf coffee stand, but I had a close call with a bear out side my tent where I ended up popping off 5 fire cracker's to scare it off. I took my sleeping gear and tent and repacked back on to the bike and made my way back to the coffee stand and slept on a picnic table bench all night. It was a cold out that night and I got very little sleep at all. On the first pic is my first stop at jermy's restaurant in narin center and the next set of pic's was highway 6 heading out to little current on manitoulin island.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Re: did a 987 mile round trip from sudbury to wallaceburg and back again

I left the lone wolf coffee stand at around 8:30 a.m. in the morning and made my way down highway 6 to wiarton and arrived there at around 11:30 a.m. in the morning,after that I preceded to make my way to saugeen nation first nation reservation where I had some thing to eat a rested there for a bit before making my way out to my next camping spot in between underwood and tiverton. I finally arrived at my next camping spot at around 4:30 that afternoon and set up camp and rested there for the night. I finally got to test out my camo net I was carrying with me on my bike, which actually worked out real well. On the first pic show's where my bike was parked while I was waiting for the ferry in south bay mouth and the next set of pic's show's where I spent my first camp spot at the lone wolf coffee stand on highway 6. The next set of pic's shows where I set up my second camp spot just after underwood. hope you enjoy the pic's.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois

Great trip and neat pic's. Way longer than anything I would imagine, unless I still had my Goldwing, lol.

What would be the total weight of the bike loaded for the trip, both without you and with you on it?

What is your engine and gearing setup? I thought bikes in Canada had to be really small to be legal.

Did you have any encounters, good or bad, with the police?

Thanks for sharing, glad you may such a run safely and without any major problems.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

On my third day out I left my second camp spot and preceded on my way out to tiverton and arrived there at around 9:00 a.m. and had my first cup'o'coffee of the day there. After leaving tiverton I made my way out to Kincardine and arrived there at around 11:00 a.m. From there I preceded my way out to goderich and arrived there at around 1:45 p.m. and discovered there was some road construction going on so I had to take an alternate route to bayfield. I stopped of at a timmy Horton's on highway 8 in goderich at around 2:00 p.m. and rested there for a bit. From there I made my way out to orchid drive as an alternate route to bayfield. Finally arriving there at 4:30 p.m. and topped off my tank and made my way out to Lambton shore's after that. I finally arrived at Lambton shore's at around 6:30 p.m. from there I made the long leg of my ride out to sarnia which I didn't arrive there till about 9:30 in the eve. I made my way out to the st. clair river drive at around 10:30 p.m. that eve. I must say going down the st. clair river drive was the best part of the trip all in all especially having the road to my self and riding late into the night with my head light's beaming down the road in the dark along the river road. I ended up stopping at a timmy Horton's along the way around 11:30 p.m. and had a hot cup'o'coffee there and preceded after that the rest of my way out to killer canuck's (greg barets) place. I finally arrived at wallaceburg and greg's place at around 1:30 a.m. in the eve after covering 217 mile's and 16 1/2 hour's on the saddle to get there. Still more to come hope you enjoy the pic's, tell me what ya think eh :p :) .

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

I spent the week at kc's place helping him tinker on his bike to get it ready for the ride ,but alas to no avail did we have any success upon his bike build and we ended up cruising the town along the river at one point and stopped off at an abandoned grave yard along the river bank. The visit I had with kc was very refreshing for me indeed since especially the distance I travelled to meet up with him, but alas as soon as it was I got there 5 days passed and the journey home had to begin. August,17,2013 I got up a started to load up my bike for the journey home. Kc got up as well and prepped his bike up for a short part of the journey as well. Finally we hit the road heading for Sarnia by 3:30 p.m. that late afternoon, we ended up cruising down the St. Clair river road through out most of the day and we ended up arriving there at around 5:45 p.m. We ended up stopping off by a church to get our bearings around the town and to make our way to the blue water bridge to eat. Along the way we stopped off by a Sherman tank memorial and snapped a few pic's there and afterwards made our way to the blue water bridge and ate a meal there. We hung out under the blue water bridge for a bit and after that we made our way to a gas station to top off our gas tanks and make our way to confederation St. and the to murphy drive where we stopped off at a timmey Horton's at around 8:00 and we had a coffee before we parted our separate ways down the road. The shadows along the highway grew longer as I made my way down towards lake shore drive, finally arriving to the outskirts of Sarnia and arriving to the last timmy Horton's for a cup'o'coffee at around 9:45, I ended up taking off from there around 10:30 p.m. and making my way out towards airport road to top off my tank and got at the petro can at around 11:00 p.m. I finally left there and preceded to make my way down the high way in the pitch black of the night with my head light's beaming out in to the dark of the night. I started getting nervous while I was driving trying to figure out where I was going to stop and set up camp for the night. I finally arrived at a camp ground for the eve at around 12:50 a.m. in the eve and set up camp for the night. In the pic's below you'll see where we both stopped off at along the St. Clair river just before Sarnia and also in Sarnia as well along side a Sherman tank :) More pic's to come, hope you enjoy the tale of the journey so far eh :p :)

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

After arriving at my third camp spot late in the eve and setting up my tent, I finally awoke at around 6:45 a.m. and made my coffee for the morning and started to plan my day as I waited for my tent to dry out from the early morning dew. after my coffee I started my day with changing the oil on my motor and packing up my gear back on to my bike and after that I had some breakfast to eat. I had a late start in the day hitting the road, I ended up heading out at around 9:00 a.m. in the morning and in my rush to leave I realized I didn't tighten down my oil drain bolt tightly enough so I pull over on the side of the road where I discovered that my bungee cords weren't tied down at all and my sweater was left behind at my camp spot down the road . I buttoned up the bungee cords on my rear rack and went back to the camp ground to pick up my sweater and tied that back on to the bike after that and preceded on back down lake shore drive making my way to highway 21 back up to Lambton shores. I finally arrived at ravens wood at a gas station at around 11:30 a.m. just some 30 km.'s out side of Lambton shores. I topped up my tank and preceded to make my way there, traffic was really getting thick as I got closer to Lambton, it almost seemed like a traffic jam at one point as I got closer to the down town section of Lambton. I finally arrived to a timmy Horton's at around 12:00 p.m. and rest there and had a cup'o'coffee. I finally preceded from there at around 12:45 p.m. in the noon and made my way out to Bayfield down the long lonely stretch of highway 21 with just nothing but corn fields on either side of me the whole way there. I finally arrived at Bayfield at around 2:00 p.m. and stopped off at a subways sub shoppe to have a bite to eat. I headed out from there at around 2:45 p.m. and preceded to make my way from there to Goderich and decided to head straight down highway 21 instaed of taking orchid lane. That section of the highway was under construction and was slightly rough for a bit till I hit a nice long section of fresh brand new pavement that went on for almost 35 km. I finally arrived at Goderich at around 3:50 p.m. and stopped and had another cup'o'coffee. I met up with a couple of people there that I knew from Sudbury and we chatted for a bit before making my final leg of the day's ride out towards Kingsbridge. I finally preceded to make my way there at around 4:30 p.m. and the shadows of the road grew longer as I travelled there. I finally arrived at Kingsbridge at around 5:45 p.m. and asked an elderly couple if I could set up camp on their property for the eve and they told me it was ok to do so. They invited me to have supper with them and I ate good. Afterwards I set up camp and crashed for the eve at around 9:45 p.m. The pic set shows where I stayed that first eve just out side of Sarnia, hope you enjoy the pic's , still more to come on this tale of an epic journey I took solo on my bike.

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

I woke up from a deep sleep at around 5:45 a.m. in the morning at my camp spot number 4 in Kingsbridge and had a cup'o'coffee while I waited for my tent to dry off from the morning dew. I gathered up my gear and packed it back on to the bike. I was invited in to have breakfast which I did. After eating I changed the oil on my motor and after all was said and done I finally was ready to head down the road. I left Kingsbridge at around 8:45 a.m. in the morning and made my way out back to Kincardine and arrived there at around 10:00 a.m. at a mc Donalds restaurant to take a bit of a break and grab a bite to eat. I finally Preceded down the road from there at around 10:45 a.m. to make my way out to Tiverton and I arrived there at around 12:00 p.m. at a gas station to top off my tank. I left Tiverton at around 12:30 p.m. and preceded to make my way out to South Hampton. I finally arrived at South Hampton at around 1:45 p.m. and stopped off at a Timmy Horton's coffee shoppe and had a cup'o'coffee there and a blueberry muffin, and while I was there I made a minor adjustment to my idler wheel on my bike. I topped off my tank while I was there also and preceded to make my way out to Sauble beach at around 2:20 p.m. I decided to take the alternate route to there by heading off of highway 21 and taking highway 13 up towards and through Saugeen first nation's reservation. I finally arrived at Sauble beach at around 3:30 p.m. and stopped off at a coffee shop to have a cup'o'coffee and take a bit of a break from the long stretch of lonely road I took to get there. I left Sauble beach at around 3:50 p.m. and preceded to make my way out to Hepworth and get something to eat and top off my tank. I finally arrived at Hepworth at around 4:25 p.m. and took a short break there before planning to head out to Wiarton. I left Hepworth at around 4:50 p.m. and preceded to make my way out to Wiarton down highway 6, hoping to arrive there at around 6:00/6:30 p.m. Talk about a long stretch of road to travel on and very hilly to boot. I finally arrived at Wiarton at around 6:15 p.m. in the early eve and stopped off at the petro can gas bar to top off the tank and head over to the Timmy Horton's coffee shoppe to get a bite to eat. I finally started preceding down the road heading out of Wiarton at around 6:40 p.m. and up a massive hill inorder to get out of the town. Once I cleared the crest of the hill I preceded to make my way over to Mar and to another gas bar out along the highway along the way out to Ferndale where I hoped to set up camp for the eve. I finally arrived at Mar and stopped off at an Esso gas bar there at around 7:45 p.m. and topped off my tank there and left at around 8:00 p.m. and preceded to make my way out to my next camp spot out in Ferndale but alas it wasn't going to be. It was getting late and the shadows on the highway grew ever so longer as I kept preceding down highway 6. I finally found a location just some 18 km.'s out side of Ferndale at a place called crystal lake motel and camp ground at around 9:45 p.m. This was the only place I had to pay for a camp site in my entire journey and the cost was $5.00 in total. I set up camp and also made a camp fire too as well and settled in for a long restless night. The pic set shows where I spent the night in Kingsbridge and as well as where I stopped over to have a cup'o'coffee in Sauble beach as well as my next camp spot just out side of Ferndale. Still more to come yet of this epic journey I took solo riding across Ontario eh :p :) .

xct2 cflg

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

My butt hurts just thinking about all those miles. When I've my motorbike to town nd back (25 miles) I have felt half way worn out. Can't imagine doing as many miles as you did. Congratulations! That takes some nerve I think.
SB

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

I ended up having a very restless sleep when I was at my camp spot at the crystal lake motel cam ground due to a late night visitor I ended up having late in the eve which was a feral tabby cat running and jumping around out side my tent, but I finally got to sleep around 2:30 a.m. in the morning though. I finally got up for the day at around 6:45 a.m. early in the morning and made a cup'o'coffee and preceded to start the day while waiting for my tent to dry out from the early morning dew. I did another oil change that morning and started slowly to gather up and load up my gear on to the bike. The ember's from the camp fire I had the night before where still hot enough that I could burn off the rest of my fire wood and some of my garbage as well. After waiting for 30 minute's or so for the fire to burn it's self out I finally took off from there at around 8:30 a.m. and preceded to make my way down to Ferndale some 18 km.'s down the road. I finally arrived at Ferndale at around 9:25 a.m. and stopped off at gas bar there to have a hot cup'o'coffee as well as to top off my tank. I then preceded to make my way out miller lake at around 9:50 a.m. Cruising down highway 6 out to miler lake was a nice cruise due to the wide paved shoulders I could ride on. I finally arrived at miller lake at around 10:30 a.m. and made my way down to the shell gas bar there and topped off my tank again with another 60 cent's worth of gas. I finally took off from miller lake at around 10:40 a.m. and preceded to make my way down to the lone wolf coffee stand yet once again. I arrived at the lone wolf coffee stand at around 11:30 a.m. and stopped there for a bit and took a rest and had a cup'o'coffee while I was there. I took off from the lone wolf coffee stand at around 11:50 a.m. and started on the last leg of my journey towards Tobamorry to get the ferry. I finally arrived at Tobamorry at around 12:50 p.m. and as I approached over one hill while still riding towards the harbour I noticed a digital speed sensor on the side of the road, just before I rode past it took a reading of how fast I was travelling at and that was at around 32 k.p.h. which on my speedometer was around 23 m.p.h. I finally arrived at the harbour at around 1:10 p.m. and purchased a ticket for the ferry and was told the next ferry was at around 3:30 p.m. and thus I waited there for a while. While I was waiting there I seen an unusual sight coming into the harbour which was a tall twin masted sailing ship. It was around 3:15 p.m. the ferry finally pulled in to port and I was hoping to snap some pic's of it but the batteries on my camera died lol. I finally boarded the ferry at around 3:45 p.m. and started on my way out to Manitoulin island.
The set of pic's where taken while I was at the harbour in Tobamorry of the tall ship that sailed into port. The batteries on my cam died just as I was taking the snap shot's lol :( . Still more to come yet of this epic journey I took riding solo across Ontario eh :p :)

xct2 cflg

Attachments

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

I finally arrived at the harbour of South bay mouth on Manitoulin island at around 5:45 p.m. and preceded to make my way to the shell gas bar while I was there to top off my tank. I then took off from there at around 6:25 p.m. and preceded to make my way out to Sheguindah reservation from there. What I particularly enjoyed about riding the long stretches of road while I was on Manitoulin island was the nice wide paved cycling shoulders I got to cruise on up until 10 mile look out point. As I kept riding down highway 6 on the long lonely stretch of road I got to see many farm's in the orange glow of the setting sun. I kept on riding and making my way there and as I rode on, the shadows grew longer as I cruised down highway 6. I finally arrived at the shell gas station at the Seguindah reservation at around 8:55 p.m. after travelling some 60 mile's from South bay mouth. I met up with a friend while I was there and had a couple cup'o'coffee and a bite to eat. I was beat and very tired after a long day's worth of riding with very little sleep. I spent the night there at my friend Levi's place. I didn't get to sleep till around 1:20 a.m. in the morning. I Got up early the next morning at around 7:30 a.m. and had a cup'o'coffee with my friend levi and preceded to load up my bike and do another oil change. We parted way's that morning and I started to head out at around 11:00 a.m. on the final leg of my journey towards home. In the pic set shows the gas bar in Sheguindah that I stopped at the night before and also show's a couple of cycle tourist touring around Manitoulin island that stopped and had a short chat with me. Still more to come yet of this epic journey I took riding solo across Ontario eh :p :) .

xct2 cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada

After I left Sheguindah on Manitoulin island at around 11:00 a.m. I preceded to make my way out towards Little Current and the swing bridge towards the main land. I finally arrived at a shell gas bar in Little Current at around 12:20 p.m. and stopped there to top off my tank. After that I left there at around 12:35 p.m. and preceded to make my way across the swing bridge and the rest of the way out to Esponola. The most challenging part of the ride was yet to come still, going through the Willowsville hill range. I stopped off at a gas bar just outside of West bay reservation to take a break and top off my tank around 1:30 p.m. I left there at around 1:45 p.m. and preceded to make my way through the Willowsville region and passed through there at a steady pace of 22.5 m.p.h. and as I went down one of the hill's I had a scary situation happen where I accidently hit the throttle as I was coasting down a massive hill at around 38.5 m.p.h. and caused my motor to engage the clutch and rev the snot's out of my motor momentarily but I acted quickly enough to hit the brakes and stop the bike and disengage the clutch in time before any damage could be done, talk about a close call. I finally arrived at Esponola around 3:30 p.m. after covering some 65 miles from Sheguindah. I stopped off at a Timmy Horton's coffee shoppe while I was there and had a bite to eat and a cup'o'coffee while I was there and after that I took off from there to the petro can gas bar up the street from me and topped off my tank there. I then headed out from there at around 4:00 p.m. and preceded to make my way to Jacklynn drive and then to Narin center from there. The ride through Jacklynn drive was an another awesome part of the cruise as well since I had the whole road to my self for the whole 18 km.'s, as I pulled out from Jacklynn drive and made my way along highway 17 I then preceded down the highway for some 3 km.'s to a park rest stop just before the bridge some 10 km.'s out side of Narin at around 4:30 p.m. and took a break there. I left the rest stop at around 4:45 p.m. and then preceded to make my way out to Jeremy's restaurant out at Narin center. I finally arrived at the restaurant in Narin center at around 5:20 p.m. and stopped there and had a cup'o'coffee and a bit of rest there. While I was there I was trying to decide weather to head down the old Spanish highway route or just head straight through along highway 17.So I decided it was easier to take highway 17 and I took off from there at around 5:45 p.m. and preceded to make my way out the highway 55 turn off and to Naughton reservation and to Sudbury after that. As I travelled down highway 17 I made my way to another rest stop just 4 km.'s from the highway 55 turn off at around 6:30 p.m. and took a break there, while I was there I met up with another cycle tourist making his way out to Sault St. Marie. We both chatted for a bit and then parted way's and I left that rest stop at around 7:00 p.m. and made my way to highway 55 turn off and up towards Whitefish to a church there where I stopped at around 7:25 p.m. and took another break there and drank some water and ate a blue berry muffin I brought with me from Esponola. I took off from there at around 7:40 p.m. and preceded to make my way out from there to the gas station at Naughton reservation. I finally arrived at the gas bar Naughton reserve at around 8:20 p.m. and had a cup'o'coffee there and topped off my tank there. I finally left Naughton reservation at around 8:40 p.m. and preceded to make my way home from there. As I travelled down highway 55 the shadows on the road grew ever so longer as sun was setting behind me, leaving a nice orange and reddish hue across the road surface ahead of me. I finally made my way to a trail entrance just past the turn off to Copper cliff and preceded on down the trail from there to Kelly lake road at the end of the trail. From there I made my way to my last Timmy Horton's stop of the day and I was finally home after a long hot ride day covering some 90 mile's from Sheguindah. I had my victory cigar and a nice hot cup'o'coffee to finish off the ride with while I was at Timmy Horton's coffee shoppe. In the pic set you'll see where I stopped off at in Esponola and you'll also see where I stopped off at along highway 17 just some 4 km.'s from highway 55 turn off and where I stopped off in Whitefish. Well thus this concludes the tale of the epic journey I took across Ontario solo riding, covering a total of 987miles as a round trip from Sudbury to Wallaceburg and back again eh. Hope you enjoyed it, tell me what you think eh :p :) .

xct2 cflg

Attachments

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike

Thanks for sharing. Great ride. I hope to try something like that here in Colorado next year. Thanks again.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Yea guys, Wayne was a great guest. But he showed up 2 days early, banging on my door at 1:30am \,,/ Great fun! His bike was a good 150lbs with all his gear. He could seriously live on that bike for as long as he wants to. The cruise down here was a precursor to an expanded cruise to Timmins and Thunder Bay... (like 1500+ miles)... awesomesauce!

The reverse jug engine I was working on blew both crank seals while we were testing it around here. Had to use my backup engine for the Sarnia cruise. No way was I going to attempt 900+ miles on an HT without a backup engine in the trailer. Heh heh...

So here's some pics that I took to supplement Wanye's pics. Cruising the St.Clair river side by side was too fun! I wish I could've made the whole trip!

Here's some pics that I took to add to Wanye's pics. Cruising the St.Clair river side by side was too fun! I wish I could've made the whole trip! He did take video of that part of the cruise, he's just got to get around to editing/uploading (hint/nudge)

Slideshow of more pics!

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

I know that area really well and it has some long stretches were there is nothing but you and a whole lot of forest. Especially on the northern part of the trip. Sauble beach is a favorite from the 60's and I spent many happy weekends there.

My hat's off to you for doing something like that. So many of us dream about it but never pull it off.

Steve.

Harley59

Aug 19, 2012
Vancouver, bc
Neat, how was the ferry ride? We went that way when we came out to Van. 6 years ago and we were wearing shorts in October. Left for the coast the day after Thanksgiving, weird year. Oh yea we were in a camper. Still took us 3 days to get out of Ontario.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
WOW its like your an athlete! should make a new category at the Olympics !
I Traveled all over southern Ontario on a Honda 55 and wore it out in two years'
One trip was from Toronto to Bancroft in 1965 fall on a deer hunting trip---almost froze to death 60 cents worth of gas and 80 cents for coffees'
That's nothing compared to your trip especially on a bicycle !!