Biker Build Off

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Members competing in the Build Off post your build/progress here. Attach photos please for those on dial-up.

This is s a FRIENDLY build off between members. Motorbicycling.com will not be handing out prizes.

No Comments, Questions or Chit Chat on this thread. This is only for those competing in the contest to post pics of there builds.

Any Comments, Questions, or Chit Chat will be removed until contest is over...Thank You for your understanding.

Any comments or questions please post them here...... http://motorbicycling.com/f3/members-build-off-12178.html

IF YOU ARE ENTERING BUILD OFF PLEASE PM ME TELLING ME YOU ARE OR YOUR POST WILL BE REMOVED....Thank You.

Competing in Build-Off

Venice Motor Bikes
Briton Bees Motorcyclette
Retmachinist

camlifter
Creative Engineering
findingmrsmith
247Jude
flybytaco

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: Members Build Off

COOOOL!!! Let get this build off started!!!
Photo #1 Here's what I'm starting with, A Felt -El Guapo cruiser...
This was a motorized bike that I bought used for $200. to fix up.

Now, I'm gonna chop it up, stretch it & lower it!
I'm not sure I want to rake the front, because the top tube is very thin steel, & we've had problems with cracking frames from riding them hard & fast!!

Photo #2 This is a quick scribble of what I got in mind...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

If everyones gonna be all "top secret" about what they are building, I really don't see any reason for this thread to be here!!!

If everyones gonna start playing this stupid game, lets just not post anything until jan 1st!!!

These are just bicycles, & no ones gonna steal your ideas... :rolleyes:

I posted a drawing of what I plan to build 'right outta the gate!'

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio

i'll post up some pics later, i'm at work right now, but heres the low down on my build.
the frame is a 60's columbia boys bike, it will remain stock, striped to bare metal and polished, then gun blued and sprayed with clear. i'm using a front drum brake wheel with 6V dyno hub. schwinn springer fork, custom gas tank and fenders. a GX 35 honda 4 stroke engine mated to an intermediate 3 speed hub jack shaft as a transmission with jockey shifter. coaster brake rear wheel.
to add updates to our builds should we edit these first post, or will they be strung out through out this thread. also something we might want to do is run a raffle, the winning bike go's to the winner of the raffle and the proceds split 50-50 between the winning builder and a charity.

heres some pics so far

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

I've been wanting to do a replica of an early Cafe' racer. The idea is to make it semi-practical as a bicycle; meaning that it will be able to be pedaled at a decent speed for a reasonable distance without exhausting the rider. I also want it to perform and handle reasonably well as an ultralight cafe' racer.

Following the link below, look at page 12...this is very similar to what I have in mind.

Bridgestone racer

Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia

VB, I hope you didn't think I was being "Top Secret" I thought we were just supposed to show what we were starting with. I have a couple boxes of parts for it, and a trash can full of Aluminum chips, but I didn't think anyone would care to see that stuff.

John

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

Here's todays progress...
Photo # 1, I cut the frame in half.

Photo #2, I cut the top chain stays from the dropouts & flipped them over & rewelded them.

Photo #3, I welded it back to the frame... Next, I'll work on relocating the BB & getting the front end down on the ground!

Photo #4, another angle.

I'm kinda 'in limbo' on building the bottom end of the frame until my new fork gets here.
I have to see where the final ride height is gonna be before I can build the lower end.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

Tom...here's another pic. This Yamaha is not from the same period, but the "look" is there.

I probably won't be contributing much in the way of parts photos until December.

I use my virtual machine shop to ensure that every last detail is accounted for prior to making drawings and then parts. For this project I have to make sure that the design is practical so that I can build it with what I have here at the shop in about 3-weeks time.

I'll put up renderings of the CAD files as things move along.

Creating the forms for the fairing and fuel tank will be the most time consuming.

If I can make the thing ergonomic, it should be really cool.

Jim

Attachments

findingmrsmith

Jun 21, 2009
calgary
Gold Indian build...

Here is my Gold Indian.

!974 Indian tank
1918 gold head badge
Indian Scout fender light
Gold plated crank
Gold plated fenders
Gold plated stem
Gold plated head light
Gold plated front end
Gold plated crate pedals
Gold plated 144 spoke rims
alligator seat

Still needs the chain, leather grips, brake, gold Indian decals before clear coating and black treads.

Attachments

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio

still here. my mechanicals are done, not really anything more to post on that, working on the body parts and prety stuff now, will post pics as progress is made. been feeling low with some flu bug last few days.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Re: Gold Indian build...

Here is my Gold Indian.

!974 Indian tank
1918 gold head badge
Indian Scout fender light
Gold plated crank
Gold plated fenders
Gold plated stem
Gold plated head light
Gold plated front end
Gold plated crate pedals
Gold plated 144 spoke rims
alligator seat

Still needs the chain, leather grips, brake, gold Indian decals before clear coating and black treads.
That's a really nice bike!! But if you're not in the build off, Why are you posting it here?

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia

* The WCC bike frame that I am using was a coaster brake bike with no front brake, so when I pitched the coaster brake wheel I had no brakes, and no mounts on the frame or forks. I decided to see if I could adapt disc brakes front and rear.*I didn't want to weld to the front forks since the chrome was perfect, so I had to fabricate a complete bolt on setup. Took quite a bit longer than I had anticipated, but I think it is going to work very well.* * Jim, (Manic Mechanic) do you see how I machined another adaptor to bolt to your sprocket adaptor

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia

Since I never use the universal chain tensioner that comes with the kit, I decided I better build something today for the Winter Build Off Bike.
Decided to try something a little different as far as position and spring tension. I think it is going to work out o.k. I figured since it will be constantly moving, I mounted the 1/2" shaft in a bronze bushing with a grease zerk.

John

Attachments

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury

I am gonna go for a excelsior replica. 26x2.125 ballon tires, carbon fiber bike planet fenders, triple tree front forks, with home made springer action, 26x2 steel rims with drum brakes. Streached and lowered frame using 1/8 gage 1 1/8 th inch tube. And a built in jack shaft. Pictures to follow when I get on a computer.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

Here's a update... I just got the fork & bars.
Now that I have the ride height, I can chop & rebuild the lower half of the frame...
The front wheel will be painted to match the rear.

I'm still waiting to see some full pics of the other guys builds... but I guess the 'top secret' games haven't stopped? :rolleyes:

Last edited: