Zeda motor with Dio Reed valve 21mm OKO not idling

GoldenMotor.com

djsiyre

Sep 23, 2012
San Diego, CA
Does anyone here have this set up:
Zeda DIO reed valve with 21mm OKO carb? I have been trying to jet my engine and it will not idle. I think I have the jetting sorta dialed in but the motor will not idle whatsoever. It almost feels like there may be an air leak somewhere but I have taken the engine apart many times and I can't seem to find any leaks. I have changed gaskets just to make sure. Have used copper spray and it still seems like something's leaking. Or is my jetting still off somewhat?? I can get it started but I have to keep my hand on the throttle and then it dies and won't want to start again or it will. Any help would be great! Thanks

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I'm no expert, but sounds like it could be flooding due to it won't start after running. Have you checked your plug immediately after running to see if its gas soaked?

To test for a leak starter fluid can be applied to intake joints
And see if it starts to run better suddenly.

You have a pretty exotic set up so I'm at a loss after trying these steps. It's likely flooding ...too rich or way to lean.

Weak spark..Plug gap or type of plug could be the answer also. Have you played with the idle screw?

Hope this helps a tiny bit.
Zip

mike carter 2

Nov 23, 2011
west virgina
check your float level,it might be letting fuel into the bottom end,flooding it out,make sure the reeds are not stuck,try adjusting throttle cable tighter to raise idle,spray carb cleaner around base gasket,head gasket,intake,reed mount,carb,and around the case gaskets, dont forget to readjust cable when and if you find a leak,pull the mag and check the crank seal,pull the drive gear,and check the seal behind it also.thats all this old man can think of rite now,time to take a nap

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
What did you find out. Cant find much info on this setup. I have a Zeda motor still in the box looking at the Dio Reed valve 21mm OKO carburetor upgrade kit and zeda expansion chamber exhaust.

Cbr_rider1000rr85

May 16, 2020
Does anyone here have this set up:
Zeda DIO reed valve with 21mm OKO carb? I have been trying to jet my engine and it will not idle. I think I have the jetting sorta dialed in but the motor will not idle whatsoever. It almost feels like there may be an air leak somewhere but I have taken the engine apart many times and I can't seem to find any leaks. I have changed gaskets just to make sure. Have used copper spray and it still seems like something's leaking. Or is my jetting still off somewhat?? I can get it started but I have to keep my hand on the throttle and then it dies and won't want to start again or it will. Any help would be great! Thanks
Windows piston... I've got the same setup started out like **** wouldnt run for crap, no power what's so ever.. Ran better with choke on.. I took my carb off the Reed valve out and marked out on the piston where to put the window, took her apart cut the window slaped it back together WOW totally different bike hands down 360° difference... I'm jetting mine now and I loving it lol

Cbr_rider1000rr85

May 16, 2020
What did you find out. Cant find much info on this setup. I have a Zeda motor still in the box looking at the Dio Reed valve 21mm OKO carburetor upgrade kit and zeda expansion chamber exhaust.
Put a window in that piston or but the dual window piston you'll wish u did once u start doing what I've done and many others I'm sure

Your going to laugh but one of the most overlooked parts is the actual throttle cable. Chances are you're using either the stock cable or stock throttle grip correct? If your confident your jetting is close to dialed in than I would highly recommend a cnc throttle twist for better idle adjustment (taughtness of throttle cable actually allows idle jet to perform). Of course a windowed piston is crucial and will make a massive difference but please make sure to add that 3rd transfer port or you will be missing out on a ton of 3/4 to full throttle speeds. My setup literally worked direct out of the box (besides fine tuning the jets), started, idled and useable. 21mm Maikuni pwk with a 32 idle and 110 main that came with the kit (red black knockoff, definitely bought a jet kit for fine tuning) widowed piston,Dio Reed kit (angle grinder to the side of a cylinder and JB weld with a circle of black fuel resistant) gasket maker around the intake port), ported my cylinder with a Dremel and made the third transfer (very modestly at first and later realized can make the transfer wider, deeper etc). This in total bc of the Dio kit cost me about 38 bucks bc I used my stock black cylinder which I preferred anyway. I promise you thou don't overlook the throttle cable and grip, all the tuning in the world won't matter if the engine doesn't know it's time to run.