Your government at work:

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by maniac57, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Intrepid Wheelwoman

Intrepid Wheelwoman New Member

Full marks MBR :) Yes the Dutch claimed the naming rights and Captain Cook came sailing along later, but for a short while before 1860 there was a certain amount of competition over whether the British or the French were going to claim New Zealand as a colony. There are some places in New Zealand where the French influence lingered on for a long time, but overall New Zealand is strongly based on British colonial foundations.

I haven't been down to the local district council offices yet to ask if a gas engined bicycle can be used on the cycleways, but I think it's highly likely that they will tell me, 'No'. Under the traffic regulations an electric power assisted bicycle is classified as being the same as a normal pedal bicycle so I think there won't be any problem with using an e-bike on the cycleway.
    Owning several classic pedal bikes as I do I've been along the cycleways on everything from a 1940's ladies Raleigh to a fully tricked out alloy group set equipped 10 speed from the early 1980's. Living with a fatigue illness as I do though owning an e-bike for riding on the cycleway would be about the best of both worlds as I really do love riding a bicycle.

If paying bicycle registration meant that more good and well maintained cycleways became available here in NZ I'd be more than happy to dig for my coin purse and pay up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8MHJcufyzk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.nzcycletrail.com/hauraki-rail-trail

2. 16v4nrbrgr

16v4nrbrgr New Member

I'd be all for it if they would expand the bikeway system here, which has stalled out in its construction toward being a pipe dream for completion. The thing is, they like to do stuff like wing nut talked about, taking your bike from you if its not registered, hassling cyclists, etc. I seriously doubt in this state that completely lacks any sense of fiscal responsibility that if they collected millions of dollars from bike registrations, that it would actually go toward anything bicycle related. They would probably buy MRAP's for the local police to bomb around in.

3. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

"When bicycles are outlawed, only outlaws will have bicycles"

or

"I'll give up my bicycle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands." :)

We need an organization like the NRA. Maybe we could get Peter Fonda to be our prez.

Tom

4. d_gizzle

d_gizzle New Member

Hey tom,take your political views elsewhere.

5. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

You got it, Giz..:)

Tom

6. allen standley

ERRRRRRRrrrrgh

7. biknut

biknut Active Member

I can't believe anyone would actually have the gall to inject political views into a thread about the government. Geeez

8. biknut

biknut Active Member

And on top of that there's the shear unmitigated audacity.

9. 16v4nrbrgr

16v4nrbrgr New Member

...in all fairness...

doctrine, rotfl

Okay I'll shut up now, lol!

10. truckd

truckd Active Member

I think Taxing dirty underwear will be next so remember when riding yer M/B to bring an extra set just incase the cops want to check yer (You Know, I.D. > Inner Draws) .
    He! He! He!