Would it be smart to solder my engine to the frame of my bike?

GoldenMotor.com

wildwood

Jul 25, 2017
Oh the chain noise may be the chain not excepting the sprocket if you file the tips slightly on both sides the chain will sit better expecially if it's crome. Another thing may be the rear mount has a gap and the motor moves with the tension of the chain. Or the chain is to tight....idler pully?

Reactions: bob1352

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Besides your other issues, it's obvious from your video that the chain is WAY too tight. There should bee a little play on it.

bob1352

Aug 15, 2017
Here are some more pics videos of the chain problem

It like the engine gains and loses power as the chain skips. But I am not sure.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
didn't notice in first vid that there was no frame to bolt motor to - that could cause chain problems

are you turning the choke off?

bob1352

Aug 15, 2017
didn't notice in first vid that there was no frame to bolt motor to - that could cause chain problems

When I warm up he engine I leave the have the choke 10% open. When its good I open the choke about 90%.

bob1352

Aug 15, 2017

The bike road fine for first two tanks without frame so I don't think it is that.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I didn't notice that you have cut the seat tube. Your chain is tight and loose because your frame is flexing. As soon as you put your weight on it the seat and crank move closer together. Going over a tiny bump will make the frame lengthen and shorten.

Besides that issue is a dangerous safety issue. You need a new bike or weld in a full seat tube or you are going to feel some pain.

Just my opinion but I think you have been very lucky to this point.

Reactions: Kioshk

bob1352

Aug 15, 2017
I found out that the problem was with the chain tenser it was not tight and kept shifting. I will see about getting a front mount.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I just noticed what Chaz noticed. Yeah man, you need to fix/replace that frame...super dangerous and sure to be affecting your chain-tension. TOO many degrees of freedom for things to go wrong with this build. Sorry, I'm punching-out on this one.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Problem is not the chain tensioner. Actually you should strive to run without one. Your problem is your frame, the fact that you cut it. It will eventually break in such a way that your medical expenses may or may not exceed the price of a car.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Get yourself a sick bike parts front mount.
http://sickbikeparts.com/front-engine-mount-small-universal/

The 360 grip of the front mount might help keep the engine in place despite the seat tube cut.
Why did you cut the seat post out anyway?
To me it looks like the air filter didn't fit.
For future reference you could have just used an offset intake.

Does your engine mount pass the Shove Test?

Put one hand on your engine head, and your other hand on the top bar above it, and then shove your engine back and forth AS HARD AS YOU CAN!
If it moves AT ALL, that is a fail.

If you can make the engine mount move with just you arms, just think about how much it will move under engine power.