Will 70cc 2 stroke fit newer Skyliner?

GoldenMotor.com

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
I was wondering if anybody has tried fitting a 70cc 2 stroke to the newest model Schwinn Skyliner? I have installed motors on the earlier model but they have been discontinued.This one looks like it might be a tight fit.

Attachments

Andy

May 23, 2008
S.F. East Bay
The motor will fit, but the carb will not fit in the normal way.

I am turning my carb 90 degrees to the left with a 1/2" copper plumbing elbow after I trimmed the horizontal leg off the manifold. I discovered a simple way to bore the manifold out using a Harbor Freight sanding cone. It allows you to step up the interior diameter very easily. Lots of aluminum dust, but it works. I am going to tin the copper elbow with solder to reduce the galvanic corrosion issue, use a set screw and lots of RTV. I will get some pictures this weekend of the set up.

Note that in this picture I am not using the back mount. I am in the process of sanding a half round channel into the actual frame of the motor, so the tube will have more surface area to clamp and rest on.

I have also removed the front derailer, as the motor was going to block it from going into the large gear. I am modding the grip shift so the left grip shift will control the rear derailer and I can put the throttle on the right.

Andy-

Attachments

Last edited:

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
Andy,
I like the looks of that Skyliner and also the front suspension makes for a smoother ride.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished product.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
The new skyliner is too much of a hassle it appears for an engine install. This is why I've started using Schwinn Searcher bikes. Very easy install.

BTW, I found an old style Skyliner at a local Walmart. Its mine

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
There is not enough room on the New Skyliner. The Engine will not fit normally as it did with the other style Skyliner. The other style skyliner is now sold at K Mart under a different name. It is called the Schwinn Searcher. $149.00. It is one of the best bikes to put a motor on Period. You will not find a better bike with better features and quality for a better price. It handles like a dream, light weight so it is fast. And..It will stop on a Dime. The Front forks are decent as well. Not high end forks, but not cheapies either. Usually Suntour. For putting a motor on, it is a dream machine. Remember to put an extra spacer behind the rear motor mount spacer block. This will allow a better fit for the Chain drive. Enjoy the ride..

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Also..It looks to me as though you removed the rear mount engine block spacer to fit the motor as far as you have. IS that right? If you have not scratched the bike or anything, see if you can take it back to Walmart. They are good with returns, and then go get the the other style Schwinn. Enjoy the ride..

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, as long as you have a receipt, W-Mart will take back anything for 90 days...as long as it's mostly there.