Where & Who is the best kit dealer to buy from ?

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Seems like there's a ton of them to buy from, but I'm looking for good customer and tech support. Any suggestions and recommendations ??

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
That's Dax, you can find the link to the website on the left side of the screen, second from top. Good thing you asked, I bought my SD Stinger before finding this forum, not that it's a bad motor, but the Dax engines are better. Clean cylinders, balanced cranks, and Duane is a great guy. I've ordered all my spares and such from him, excellent results, fast shipping, all around awesome customer service.

I've got nearly 3000 miles on Tanglebones, mostly trouble free, so I can't say the Stinger is a bad motor, but after talking to folks here, and meeting a fellow with a Dax, I'm convinced. I was allowed to ride the bike, much less vibration in the seat and handlebars.

But that's two stroke. I can only imagine that their four stroke motors are also top of the line. I know Duane put considerable effort into designing a gearbox for the titan, if I'm not mistaken. That speaks to their experience.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Just about sold huh? Let me help a little...

Where I live and where I work are 50 miles apart, and Tanglebones is my only transportation. Thus, ordering parts, can be tricky. I have to choose where I send them based on where I should be on arrival. For example, when I ordered my 56t sprocket, I had it sent to the ranch, Hardscrabble, in snowflake. Bad weather pinned me down in Heber, and the parts sat in my mailbox till the carrier sent them back. I called Duane and he was waiting. Now, my address and my boss's are on file, and Duane just asks where I want my stuff. BTW, no extra shipping charges. As far as personal service, Duane will help with the strangest of questions, from fenders to forks, you name it.

Easily one of the best, if not the best company in this industry. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar, or had a bad experience, many here agree with me.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Dax has good china girls with balanced cranks. Duane has never screwed me over and the guy answers his own phone. I have over 1200 miles on my F-80 69cc engine I got from Dax and I'm very happy with it's performance. Also, Dax has pretty cheap parts and reasonable shipping fees. Results and service speaks for itself!

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Checked out their website about shipping which says :

"Allow 5 Business days for shipping since Engine is made to order, tested, and then shipped."
So I guess final package arrival is anywhere from 5 to 10 days depending on customer location. I'm assuming its by UPS carrier delivery...and UPS tracking number is also provided. Wouldn't mind the wait times....if the engine is actually tested.

_

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I bought my first two happy time motors from Duane at That's Dax. That was back in 2008. Essentially the same motors as today, of course. A few minor improvements have shown up in the kits since.

Since then I've bought a few parts from him. I've been buying motors from other sources. Not because I had any problem with Dax. It's because I've tried to give as much business as I can to other sponsors of this site. I want them to get a few sales, too.

But other sponsors, I'm sure, have gotten more parts business from me simply because I just don't care much for Dax's website. It's a small quibble. It's the only thing I can complain about with Dax. But because he's been shorted a bit on my parts purchases, I think Dax is the next in line for my next motor purchases. He deserves it.

Anyway, to get back to the point, you won't go wrong buying from him. A good guy.

kite surfer

Feb 19, 2016
Gulfport, MS
I haven't got any experience with Dax yet, but he does sound like he is a stand up guy from ya'll comments.

I do wish he could find someone to rebuild his website though. Its tough to navigate, and is a bit on the jumbled side. He maybe be able to trade some parts for web work! {wink wink}

I've bought all my engines from Cheez, had great service and parts from him.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think Cheez and Bekits are the same motors if I'm not mistaken.
This is correct, Cheez simply assembled his motors himself, whereas BeKits does not. You get usual factory crapshoot.
Unfortunately, Cheez is no longer selling motor kits due to personal issues.
BeKits has the same excellent PK80 engines with good jugs, better balance 40mm cranks and overall better quality. Last four I bought were fantastic right out of the box.

But I would strongly suggest you buy it unassembled to be sure of getting a decent motor. I saw with my own eyes two brand new engines from BeKits with cranks bent so badly they scraped cases. When buyer asked for replacement, he was told no.
The reason I bought from Cheez was his personal attention, and you can't get that now. I'd make sure to talk to Joe first if possible, otherwise you're liable to get a factory kit with the usual possibility of shoddy assembly.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I bought a Gasbike GT80 kit and loved it. I don't have any experience with any other dealers. I got good response from Gasbike customer service when I had a small problem. I bought their best kit and now I'm glad I did. You get better parts.
That looks like a nice engine, did you have any trouble fitting it on your bike?

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Been dealing with Dax from waaaay back! In fact one of his engines is still running, not sure how many miles, but it is strong. Plus I have 2 of his latest motors, that I put on customers bikes.

Will buy from Dax again! Good person all around.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm another Dax fan. He sticks by what he sells. It's rare he'd let a bad item ship out, but if it happens, you just call him. Everything he sent me was good. But I've heard from others that he actually seems to care about his reputation, and will work with you if there ever is a problem. I should also note: the engine on the bike in my avatar is one of Dax's from 2010. I've upgraded a thing or two over the years. I had to get a new RT carb after the accident. But that engine's run well for six years now. That's not too shabby. He's my primary go-to source.
Sales come and go, and a diligent searcher can always find something cheaper someplace else, but a vendor who will stick around and serve you is worth the few extra bucks you might pay. Good service means that, one way or another, they'll make sure you get all that you've paid for, and sometimes a bit more.

PS: Another place, to get quality upgrade parts mostly, is SBP - Sick Bike Parts. Both That's Dax and SBP advertise along the sides of this very site. Easy to check 'em out.

Last edited: