Wheel Master Wheel set for trike Question about their hubs

GoldenMotor.com

zing

Feb 23, 2019
I'm looking at wheel master 24 inch wheels for my trike. I noticed in the sales photos there are three decent looking holes in the hub with plenty of meat around them. The bore of the hub is good but, I can't find any info on the size of the holes or center to center. They look like they are begging to have a sprocket or a brake system attached. The sellers didn't respond to questions about the hole size and placement so I'm hoping someone here has used these and would share what they know ?

Thanks
zing

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Hi Curtis
I certainly will appreciate any thoughts you have on wheels !

Below is a link to the wheels. They aren't high quality, but I want to try 24 inch wheels first and then I may want to try out 20 inch wheels like some of the warehouse industrial trikes. Lucky the trike will have an easy life with no need to go more than 15 mph. I'm not wanting to race around to do my work L O L

thanks
zing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMRRR...olid=2NOMRKF03HNS1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Hi Curt! I'm working with a light frame steel miami sun. I returned 3 schwinns. Then found the miami. I'm hoping some gussets and braces will help it a little. I have to go back to work this evening but working with one of my adult sons is always great fun ! I have heard of husky wheels and will check into them ! I'm surprised I'm not finding more information on people running motorized bikes on 24 inch wheels and trikes on 20s . I know some people race on them and some electrics are 20 inch wheels too !. I also saw the 20 inch wheels on Worksmen trikes. The evening will go quickly tonight as I'm helping my son !

Thanks again
zing

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Zing.
If you look just below the product description in the ad you will see "4 answered questions." The sizes are listed in the answers.

Sorry, I thought you were looking for the sizes. As Curt said the Husky wheels are some of the best out there. They have12 gauge spokes and rugged rims and hubs. Well worth the price. Worksman wheels are top of the line.

Steve.

Last edited:

zing

Feb 23, 2019
For sure I have four sons, so know the fun. Works man has 24” also, I have a worksman trike with 24 on the rear.
Best is to snoop the past post on this forum. I plan on a go-kart differential on my trike so both wheels drive, from a center sprocket.............Curt
Hi Curt I'll check out the husky and worksmen. I raised 4 sons too and one daughter and it was a blast !! A differential would be awesome ! I like that I'm actually using a couple tools I bought for my boys when they were turning their bicycles into choppers. I wish I had bought them a tube roller instead of a pipe bender though ! They will be in my shop again when their boys want to chop and stretch their bikes just like they did. Thanks for the advice guys !

zing

Reactions: indian22

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If interested Staton.inc has a 3/4” axle differential. Yep pipe bender , you have to remember it is for pipe and pipe is bigger, so use smaller dies. I only have one grandson and he lives out of town, I did build him a couple things when he was younger, now 23 on his own..............Curt

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22 and zing

zing

Feb 23, 2019
If interested Stato.inc has a 3/4” axle differential. Yep pipe bender , you have to remember it is for pipe and pipe is bigger, so use smaller dies. I only have one grandson and he lives out of town, I did build him a couple things when he was younger, now 23 on his own..............Curt
Hi Curt, I looked at the differentials at Staton ! They offer a lot of options in axle size. I really liked the 3/4" for the strength, but what really gets it are the mounting options. The price isn't bad considering what you get !! For now I'll steal the idea of having a right and left side brake and then a lever or foot pedal to operate both rear brakes at once !!

I'd love to see some photos of your bikes !

Take care and thank you for the great advice !!
zing

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curt the Stanton is a wonderful setup for those really determined to find solutions to the ill handling problems inherent in motorizing adult tri-cycles...felt torqueing is greatly reduced by going to a differential and simultaneous disc braking adds to safe riding characteristics. Increasing the track width and lowering the center of gravity gets the frame in a position to accept some quality tires which will also improve the handling and safety of the trike. Even at 15 mph poorly designed trikes, motorized or not, should be considered dangerous. When a motor is attached it gets much worse. I rode a Schwinn motorized one recently & it like to scared the crap out'a me, going in a straight line and thankfully not very fast. Short wheel base, narrow track & high center of gravity-coupled to 5 hp (governed) on three wheels not a relaxing ride!

Rick C.

Reactions: zing

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Curt the Stanton is a wonderful setup for those really determined to find solutions to the ill handling problems inherent in motorizing adult tri-cycles...felt torqueing is greatly reduced by going to a differential and simultaneous disc braking adds to safe riding characteristics. Increasing the track width and lowering the center of gravity gets the frame in a position to accept some quality tires which will also improve the handling and safety of the trike. Even at 15 mph poorly designed trikes, motorized or not, should be considered dangerous. When a motor is attached it gets much worse. I rode a Schwinn motorized one recently & it like to scared the crap out'a me, going in a straight line and thankfully not very fast. Short wheel base, narrow track & high center of gravity-coupled to 5 hp (governed) on three wheels not a relaxing ride!

Rick C.
Good advice ! I will be doing all I can to lower the center of gravity for sure and this one will never be taken out on the public roads except for my quiet street ! I think I'm going to reduce the 15 mph top speed I was initially wanting and cut it back to 8 to 10 mph. I may end up putting 20 inch wheels on it to go lower or do a slight rake on the front end to bring it down just a bit more ! When you mentioned your ride, it was the scare the crap right out of you that reminded me of a ride I took that gave me a scare in 1970 on my Honda 350 in high school ! I was living in California at the time and we went riding on a road called Hastings Ranch. I was still a novice rider with less than a year on it and I didn't have a firm grasp of speed going into and out of curves on grades. I got a quick lesson on how quickly a rider can be pulled towards a guard rail !!!! Lucky for me I was following bikes that had riders that had been there before and it took me about two minutes to realize I had no business trying to keep up with them and I ended up following a slow volkswagon around !!! My next bike will be finishing the stretch I started a while back. I stalled out being indecisive thinking about 24 inch wheels on it instead of the 26" and it will go just a bit faster by design ?? Hopefully

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota

Rick C.
Yep! Would be the width that make a big difference, they also need inboard and outboard bearings, and well braced like my Worksman..........Curt

Reactions: indian22 and zing

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curt I like your Worksman trike. It seems they seldom show up for sale in my area, but I'd like one to ride when I eventually am forced to give up on bicycles many years from now,lol….though I could order one right now slick, in Beatle's mellow yellow.

Rick C.

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Pulling the plug on this one. I was getting ready to cut some steel and mount the motor. I took a few measurements so I could cut some braces and laid out my first cuts. I posted a picture below of the sub frame I bolted on. Then I had second thoughts. I would spend more time bracing and cutting gussets than I would have motorizing it. I took a break and got on line and looked on my local face book market place. I bought 2 industrial trikes from a local source that had bought them from a local GM plant that shut down years ago. I wish I could have bought them all as I left 11 of the trikes behind !!!!!! The project trikes look a lot like worksman except they have a mohawk badge on them, like the old service merchandise bikes. These aren't low end trikes though! They have one inch axles and pillow block bearings and a steel platform behind the seat that will be the cat's back side for engines and jack shafts. DSCF0109 (1).JPG DSCF0111 (1).JPG DSCF0112.JPG DSCF0116.JPG

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Curt I like your Worksman trike. It seems they seldom show up for sale in my area, but I'd like one to ride when I eventually am forced to give up on bicycles many years from now,lol….though I could order one right now slick, in Beatle's mellow yellow.

Rick C.
ya Rick, it's fun to ride, but can feel the pull on the drive wheel, and again on the brake when it's applied. Fairly stable though, have a garden tractor differential so may install it. Like the one staton has, just to experiment. Can tip it up on 2 wheels for a short while, good strong frame............Curt

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Thanks Curtis ! I had a few choices. I chose the black one in the front. My wife has been with me on a couple of bicycle hunts and it made my day when she whispered you'll never see this many trikes for sale in one place again. She then followed with I have the cash and I think you should get the red one too !! The rest is history !

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I love the family stories Lorenzo. Having the wife involved in such a positive way is great. Oh yeah I like the red & the black ones....good choices!

Rick C.