what's up wuth this ezmob footer that keeps popping up ??!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
checked in google and got
"Earn on top of traditional advertising with Crypto ads, utilize user's CPU to mine for cryptocurrency (Monero) to maximize your monetization."

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
mine is blank & I'm just working with structure as my filters seem to have it all blocked - there are types of these that can overheat your CPU

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
maybe it's just me that hates all the transparency happening in GUI now (can't quite see thru it, can't click thru it if you do see something in lower layer) - this has an "X" to click to get rid of it, but comes back blocking screen every page refresh or new post opened

arrgggh

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
appears the banger and ezmob scripts have been set to false and so far I am no longer seeing that footer

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Glad you're no longer seeing it. I updated a couple of days ago and was just making sure I didn't see it again. My understanding was floating footer ad would only show on mobile and only for guests. I agree the desktop version was pretty annoying. Let me know if you see it again.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
looking at this a bit more, it seems you need to set it up in your CSS file before it can tell the diff between mobile & desktop

erics

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, there's a third party applying that type of ad universally. It's only recently that they started triggering that for desktop. It's funny, now I'm seeing that same ad type everywhere on the web. I'm not going to miss is being removed all together. That's what I ended up doing as a quick fix. I may revisit it later. I'd need to keep it from being a bad user experience though.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm not happy with trying to accurately differentiate mobile from desktop by just looking at screen width, seems a less lazy approach might look at useragent string and a few other things since many folks like me block all requests for screen size since they can be used to 'fingerprint' a user thru the browser characteristics.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it is unfortunate that the folks that tell one how to install these are exactly those folks that need to fingerprint browsers to make their living