What do we do if stranded?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Put it on the bus rack and ride the bus home.
Find an Uber/Lyft driver with a bike rack.
Call a tow truck and pay his high rates.
If you run outa gas, lock the bike up, walk, call Uber/Lyft or hitch a ride to/from the gas station.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
I vote for #3 If in a city, but Joe makes a good point. Dropping the drive chain unencumbers the bikes drive train resistance.
If my Sportsman Flyer takes a crap it is way easier to push than my 1950 Harley which even when I was 20 was a bi*ch to push.
Tom

Reactions: Bikeguy Joe

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Have some of the gas tanks have a reserve with the associated 3 position valve? Something I wonder about the 3 position valve is I think I once put on reserve on a motorcycle an then the engine ran out of gas. I was told I had to have it on the run position and I started up and went. So what I wonder is did the run gas chamber while riding on run fill the reserve? Or does reserve and also run chamber only get filled some how when filling up on gas?

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Have some of the gas tanks have a reserve with the associated 3 position valve? Something I wonder about the 3 position valve is I think I once put on reserve on a motorcycle an then the engine ran out of gas. I was told I had to have it on the run position and I started up and went. So what I wonder is did the run gas chamber while riding on run fill the reserve? Or does reserve and also run chamber only get filled some how when filling up on gas?
Motorcycle tank valves have two fuel supply tubes, one is a couple of inches tall, the other is about 1/2 an inch. Some of the kit supplied valve for bikes have the same set up but slightly shorter.

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
When in the "on" position a petcock gets fuel thru a tube that sticks up inside the tank. Usually an inch or so. Once the fuel drops below that you run out of gas ... but not really. There's still an inch left. When you go to reserve it lets fuel flow right from the bottom of the tank and you can still get to a gas station. Or home.

Up until 61? VW's had a reserve that operated on a foot lever on what would normally be called the firewall that worked on the same principle. Problem was after filling up if you didn't flip the lever back you know what would happen next! When it ran out you'd reach over there with your foot and go Oh ****!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Clearly I must have been mistaken. I had probably been low on fuel and switch from "On" to "Res". Didn't know about automobile reserve switch. Breaking down I know about hiking 4 miles up trails in the woods in riding boots. Getting the bike back is a bit more trouble. A quad would have been nice to have to retrieve it. Make sure there is enough pressure in tires. A bump is more likely to pinch a tube. I had not carried an extra tire. I also thought it just the tube, but the bead on the tire was ruined first. Next it was a waste to put another tube in and have a blow out. I have heard that motorcycle tires when flat can be ridden with slight difficulty riding slowly to get back on trails. The tire would be thrown away probably after that, but unlike a bicycle tire it still has some use without air.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon