What do those $20 and $30 compact ebay chambers do?

GoldenMotor.com

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Do they at least make a little power? Or just make lots of noise. The fact that they are compact and cheap is the appeal here right..

I do realize something which makes good power is going to take fab hours or cost real money, just curious what exactly the cheap ones do? For their size and price a small power gain would have me considering one.. But is there even a small one?

I did search for "chamber" and "chambers" but didn't see much come up.

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
No matter what I go with I will fit a good silencer to it. I do actually care to not annoy my neighborhood.. but yeah so do that compact chambers do anything at all above and beyond the non chambered stock exhaust?

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Well that is a shame. You would think they would at least add 10% or something. I'll just stick with the stock non chamber pipe then. At least its quiet.

Reactions: Bikeguy Joe

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton

What about this one, this do anything? Its not $20 but also not $200. Maybe I'll stop being lazy and get a mx pipe and start cutting and welding it to work.

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Just read on another internets thread that the 20 and 30 buck ones have chambers just for show. There is actually an internal pipe through 90% of the chamber which defeats any expansion effect.

I found a smashed up 50cc ktm pipe I may try to do something with. Something something water freezer, something something cut weld.

Last edited:

SloRyd

Jun 25, 2020
I’m running this set up, although I can’t compare it to the stock silencer since I just built the bike last Friday night and cut and slipped the stock silencer into the end to quiet it down. Paid $59 on Amazon and did it more for looks....the placebo effect has gotta be worth 1 mph, .

Attachments

Reactions: FOG

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Yeah I'm not down with shelling out 75 bucks for placebo effect.

The $20 placebo pipe.... my OCD azz would have to chop it in half and make sure the internal pipe didn't go thru the chamber. Which is a pain so I won't buy it.

SloRyd

Jun 25, 2020
I was assured that the MZ65 doubled the power output on a 66cc China motor on another forum....”Dyno proven” in fact. Only dyno video on that pipe I could find was on a new motor and it netted another 1hp. Fortunately this one is a true expansion chamber and not a belly wrapped around a through pipe...what more it added, I have no idea. But I’d imagine it had to be an improvement over the stock silencer....other reviewers with broken in motors claimed it really helped. I was told the head pipe wasn’t stepped like an MZ65 so it wasn’t doing anything. Whatever, lol. But, again...I just did it more for looks than anything

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Yeah I'm crystal clear on which pipe has the thru tube. The 20$ one. Not the $75 one. Thats cool you like what you got, I can respect that. $75 for me is high enough that it would have to go towards a trashed 65cc or 50cc bike search fund. Get a pipe. And everything else.

Reactions: SloRyd

FOG

Mar 3, 2019
I’m running this set up, although I can’t compare it to the stock silencer since I just built the bike last Friday night and cut and slipped the stock silencer into the end to quiet it down. Paid $59 on Amazon and did it more for looks....the placebo effect has gotta be worth 1 mph, .
I couldn't hang with a straight pipe on a 2 stroke either, so I went with a pocket bike motor. The pipe on it is just about cosmetic, but the pocket bike guys tell me that adding a 4" belly yields a useful mid range boost so I did that. And corrected the header pipe. It was sticking in there about halfway up the 1st cone.

DSCF0883.JPG

The other dumb thing is the "dual exhaust"! That' just about stupid but it looks cool so I'm gonna use it. :)

DSCF0750.JPG

SloRyd

Jun 25, 2020
Aww man, that’s cool as ****...I’m digging the dual exhaust. Reminds me of a Ducati setup

Reactions: FOG

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a link to my last race bike... https://motorbicycling.com/threads/newest-venice-race-bike.61100/
It had a FMF ~ CR80 pipe that I cut & reworked to fit the bike.

I later added about 3" to the header to bring the power band down to lower RPMs for the track.

This will give you a idea of what you need if you want to get serious about making more power with a pipe... (anything else is a waste of money.)

Honestly... with all those other cheap pipes, you'd get the exact same power gain if you just used a simple 'straight pipe' instead.

Reactions: mapbike