What carburetor for 79cc predator?

GoldenMotor.com

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
I know next to nothing about carburetors. Do not want the CNS Carburetor because some have posted here they are hard to tune without lots of carburetor know how. I like how I could move the clip in the NT carburetor to change the fuel mix. Want something like that but a little nicer.

Agk 19mm slide Carburetor ?
Dellorto Carburetor ?
Mikuni Carburetor ?
OKO Carburetor ?

What is the difference?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would try the carb that comes on it first, a lot of people have had good luck with them. I wouldn’t fix a problem before I know I have one.

Reactions: indian22

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I would try the carb that comes on it first, a lot of people have had good luck with them. I wouldn’t fix a problem before I know I have one.
Yep keep original carb. For now. If you do go with another carb Don’t go big. 16mm-19mm is plenty but then you have to get it tuned and running correctly. Which can be difficult.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I like the stock carb for at least the first few hundred miles & once the motor is broken in you may find the performance suits you. If not then the motor can be modified as you wish building on a motor known to run reliably.

The brands you mentioned are fine but as suggested small carbs will support much power modification on small displacement motors, properly set up and jetted. 16 mm will support twice the power you are likely to ever generate with the small 4 stroke. More important than brand is using carbs designed for 4 stroke motors & proper carb tuning...don't be tempted to buy a carb meant for 2 cycle engine for use on a 4 stroke motor. There is a difference. With great skill, determination & a great deal of luck one can make a carb work well. that was designed for a different type motor, but why? Just because a motor will run doesn't mean it runs efficiently.

Luck to you, Rick C.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
I read here that the difference between a 2 cycle and 4 cycle carb is the mounting shape or pattern. I have seen the adapter sold by people here and in a few online stores. I have not tried it and do not know first hand. I will see how the stock works.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Nope carb pickup feed & internal carb design are different for 2 and 4 stroke carbs. Intake manifold "adapter" is just to make installation of the carb easier to match up & mount. Notice I never mentioned adapters 'cause that's a different conversation. Don't screw up before you read up and learn things about carbs or any engine component... vast disappointment and wasted $$ rewards to those who just start swapping parts onto good running engines.

A bit of explanation about the carb difference. 2 stroke engines require more fuel than a 4 cycle and larger jetting is required to supply this, but this is just part of the difference as the velocity required through the carb is also needs to be accelerated to supply more air/fuel mix to the engine so the venturi is also slightly different to allow increased speed of flow to supply the increased air/fuel mix of the different engine designs. idle circuits may or may not be different depending on brand of carb selected. Inside diameter of pickup tube or an extra hole in the side of the tube at the proper location and diameter is also common differences in the carbs design. It's often hard to even see a difference with two carbs of the same brand side by side, but the difference is always there & I learned all this the hard way during the last 55 years.

Rick C.

Last edited: