Well..I got pulled over

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
To get a feel for what is what look up "ICBC low powered vehicles".
License qualifications may be different from province to province but what is allowed and the definitions are per the Fed guide lines.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To get a feel for what is what look up "ICBC low powered vehicles".
License qualifications may be different from province to province but what is allowed and the definitions are per the Fed guide lines.

Steve.
As a condition of initial sale, all commercially manufactured LSMs must bear a permanently affixed compliance label. On this, or on another separate label, a statement must appear that the use of the vehicle may be restricted by provincial authorities to certain roads.
Motor-assisted cycle (detailed definition)
To qualify as a MAC, certain conditions must be met. For example:
The electric motor must be 500 watts or less and be capable of propelling the cycle no faster than 32 km/h on level ground without pedalling. The vehicle must be equipped with a mechanism that either: allows the driver to turn the motor on and off, or prevents the motor from turning on or engaging before the MAC attains a speed of 3 km/h The motor must disengage when the operator: stops pedalling, or releases the accelerator or applies a brake. The motor cannot be gas-powered. The motor must be capable of being propelled by muscular power using the pedals, but it is not necessary to always be pedalling The vehicle must meet any other conditions in the Motor Assisted Cycle Regulations (B.C. Reg 151/2002). low-powered vehicles (PDF)

Nothing here specifically says anything about a home built, only what a commercially manufactured must be.

That could imply a home made bike not for sale is not considered under the law.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well I'm looking at the site and it describes a motor assisted cycle.

{1} A motor assisted cycle must have no more than one motor for propulsion.

{2} The motor of a motor assisted cycle must

{a} be an electric motor
{b} have a continuous power output rating of not more than 500 watts
{c} not be capable of propelling the motor assisted cycle at a speed greater that 32 km/hr on level ground.

Limited speed motorcycles are mopeds and scooters
LSM's rely on motor power and are generally not equiped with pedals
Gas engine of 50cc or less
Electric motor of less than 1,500 watts.

Challenge away Bro. Tell me why the guys are getting busted for riding the very bikes you claim is legal. Doesn't sound like BS to me or the guys that got busted I would imagine and the cops certainly don't feel that way either.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well I'm looking at the site and it describes a motor assisted cycle.

{1} A motor assisted cycle must have no more than one motor for propulsion.

{2} The motor of a motor assisted cycle must

{a} be an electric motor
{b} have a continuous power output rating of not more than 500 watts
{c} not be capable of propelling the motor assisted cycle at a speed greater that 32 km/hr on level ground.

Limited speed motorcycles are mopeds and scooters
LSM's rely on motor power and are generally not equiped with pedals
Gas engine of 50cc or less
Electric motor of less than 1,500 watts.

Challenge away Bro. Tell me why the guys are getting busted for riding the very bikes you claim is legal. Doesn't sound like BS to me or the guys that got busted I would imagine and the cops certainly don't feel that way either.

Steve.
Do you know of anyone that has actually plead not guilty and had a trial, and lost?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I don't think if someone had an ebike with out a sticker they would be in any danger.The
real problem is getting caught on a gas powered bike. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with an unsticked ebike. At least not in B.C.

There may have been problems in Ontario at one time.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
No I don't. Most people I know are smart enough not to drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire. ICBC has a death hold on everything here so nobody challenges them often I'm sure.. The fellas that got caught may have put up a fight but from what I was told if they did it didn't do them any good and with what they were facing they fought hard I'm sure.

Like I said we are kind of unusual in that the provincial government is the insurer and the license issuer so you don't have you insurance company asking the court to take away your license. It's all one neat bundle.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That's what they call owner constucted vehicles. You mostly see that on utility trailers.
Hot rods are of course U-bilt no matter if a shop built it or you did in your garage. Thats what our bikes would be under here in B.C. if they were allowed. Basically means not factory built.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's what they call owner constucted vehicles. You mostly see that on utility trailers.
Hot rods are of course U-bilt no matter if a shop built it or you did in your garage. Thats what our bikes would be under here in B.C. if they were allowed. Basically means not factory built.

Steve.
Where does it say they're not allowed?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Where does it say they're not allowed?
I don't see any reason a home bilt MB couldn't meet the same requirments as any other moped.

Then you get them to issue a vin # or whatever you call them and it's all good after that right?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Back to the starting line. A motorized bike is one that has an electric motor but I don't care really because thats what mine has and it's legal. Anyone that want's to take a whiz on the brush fire can. They get burned, I don't.

Steve.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Steve what your doing here is just terrible. You've guided this thread off into the wilderness by going on about the ICBC and the provincial rules and regulations you have to follow out there in British Columbia. This thread was about one guy from Ontario who got some provincial offence notices here in Ontario and then went and dealt with them in an Ontario provincial offences court. Ontario has it's own acts, regulations and definitions that for the most part are completely different when compared to those that are written for the province of British Columbia by British Columbia's provincial government. If I could I would delete many of your posts because you've muddied this thread to the point where it is possible that some other Ontario rider might come in here looking for info and leave not knowing which end is up.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
biknut yea we provisions in Ontario to register home built things but it's mostly used for trailers so says the MTO. A couple people on here from Ontario tried to register their modified bicycles as a home built but they failed miserably. A couple pages back I mentioned that I had went to the MTO office with my bike and tried to register it, I was told I need not be concerned about registering it because it was still just a bicycle as far as they were concerned.

The WANDERER

Jun 30, 2009
G.T.A.
they dropped the unsafe vehicle and helmet charge and dropped the driving while under suspension to driving without a licence and they gave me a 160.00 fine
Ask yourself this, why would they drop the chrarges of the helmet? If its because its not a motor vehicle and no motorcycle helmet is required , then how did they get you on driving without a licence if it's not a motor vehicle?

AND

If it is a motor vehicle, they should / could have got you on the helmet also.

it's because you took the deal, if ya didnt take the deal, you could have gotten off on all the charges. Kinda hard to appeal a deal you took but not impossible.

You took the stance of being guilty of driving without a licence when you actually do have a licence, it's just suspended but still valid (unless its expired), if you're self addmittedly guilty of driving without a licence, then your also guilty of driving on a suspended licence. If they knew they could have gotten you on driving while suspended, they never would have offered you a deal.

They had nothing but bluff.

You took the bait big time.

Just figure this, if they had an actual real case, they could have had you on the hook for
(1) Driving while suspended $1,000 - $5,000 plus an additional 6 months suspension
(2) Improper motorcycle helmet $110
(3) Unsafe vehicle fines are on a case by case basis

So they could have gotten you on an additional 6 months drivers licence suspension, plus at leat $1,110.00 but chose to let you go on a $160.00 fine, gee how very nice of them.

the bikes are definately illegal here and dont see any light at the end of the tunnel to make them legal at all somehow
No proof they are illegal, but you are right that they cannot be made legal, unless of course you modify it sooo much that it then actually becomes a bona fide moped (motor-assisted bicycle).

I think you got ripped, because you don't know the legal definitions of the laws you're dealing with. In other words you got railroaded.
Biknut, he did it to himself, he didnt get ripped, he took the deal, it's up to him to know the legaL definitions, he didnt and most here dont

Sooo much info has been posted in these forums about Ontario legislation, and ppl still dont get it

Why the heck do you need a drivers licence to ride a bicycle (or modified bicycle which no longer is a bicycle, nor a motor vehicle) ???

Answer is that you dont need one, no where in the HTA does it say anyone needs a licence to drive a bicycle.

They baited you with a deal, you didnt know what you were doing even though a lot of info has been provided in these boards, and ya bit the hook and they reeled you in.

If ya cant figure that part out, what are you going to do whith a modified electric bicycle? or even your stang?

I gave a lot of good valuable info in my #57 post
http://motorbicycling.com/f17/well-i-got-pulled-over-22021-6.html#post212987
as have others

The WANDERER

Jun 30, 2009
G.T.A.
A couple pages back I mentioned that I had went to the MTO office with my bike and tried to register it, I was told I need not be concerned about registering it because it was still just a bicycle as far as they were concerned.
Everyone should do this and get documentation of them stating this, then if / when you get pulled over, show it to the police and or the courts if it goes that far.

If it cannot be registered as a motor vehicle, then it's not, your document now defeats anything the Crown Prosecutor has (which is diddly) for the purposes of the HTA, the criminal code is different.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well Rockenstien I'm leaving it to you spread your BS all over the place about what is legal in Canada. You jail house lawyer wantabe's can feed the story any way you want in the face of the truth.
I put my 35 year career lawyer with the Masters Degree in Law up against your lack of knowledge any time. As they start another campaign to stop piston powered motor bikes in Ontario I sincerely hope you aren't one of the victims they scoop up. Nobody deserves that.
Ontario has very clearly defined laws about just what a motor assisted cycle is and no where does it mention a gasoline motor powered cycle but you hold on to that cherished dream of yours at all cost. When and if they bust you, you will find out how much it costs. The only difference between B.C. and Ontario is you have to have a license to ride one and we don't. Law and order in Ontario.

Hope you ride free and happy for a life time and when I'm in Embrun this summer I'll PM you and we can go out for supper and talk about this in an friendly fashion.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well Rockenstien I'm leaving it to you spread your BS all over the place about what is legal in Canada. You jail house lawyer wantabe's can feed the story any way you want in the face of the truth.
I put my 35 year career lawyer with the Masters Degree in Law up against your lack of knowledge any time. As they start another campaign to stop piston powered motor bikes in Ontario I sincerely hope you aren't one of the victims they scoop up. Nobody deserves that.
Ontario has very clearly defined laws about just what a motor assisted cycle is and no where does it mention a gasoline motor powered cycle but you hold on to that cherished dream of yours at all cost. When and if they bust you, you will find out how much it costs. The only difference between B.C. and Ontario is you have to have a license to ride one and we don't. Law and order in Ontario.

Hope you ride free and happy for a life time and when I'm in Embrun this summer I'll PM you and we can go out for supper and talk about this in an friendly fashion.

Steve.
They allow gas powered mopeds, right? What stops you from building a home bilt motor bicycle and calling it a moped?