Weird! "Brand New" motor kit smells like gas!

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So I received my motor kit today. I open the box and was hit in the face with a super strong smell of gas! Then I saw that the CNS carb box was open and was the culprit. So either it was "tested" or sent back and I got a used part. Not cool. Next up, I pulled the plug out of the head. It also smelled like gas, as did the intake! Getting really hot under the collar over here.

Has anyone else experienced their new kit coming like this?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Spoke with the vendor. Evidently, I got a bench-tested motor. I guess this is a good thing to know that the motor passed factory inspection and runs. Just down right weird. We shall see.

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
That's great they tested their product, but the vendor should have jumped on the opportunity to show that they care about their customers initial impression and include a note that says the motor was bench tested. It looks super professional and prevents misunderstandings and hard feelings just like this.

It's a good thing the gas fumes didn't catch the UPS guy's nose though! A package that smells of gas is not something they appreciate, and I'm sure it is in violation of some federal laws...

Erich

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Sorry if this is off topic a bit, but Erich's comment got me wondering: just how exactly should we prep and pack a motor that has been run? I was going to drain the gas tank, run the carb bowl dry and then drain the oil (it's a 4 stroke). Anything else?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ya, I'm still not totally sure of the response I got. They said not worry about it if anything's wrong with the motor after install, that they would take care of it.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
it all sounds like B/S to me. If they are going to run the motor a new plug should be installed the carb should be drained the air filter should be new and the pipe should be cleaned out. I think you got a used motor that may be ok but maybe not. The "if anything is wrong after install" is not cool.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm pulling the head off tonight. I'll take a closer look at everything and decide what my next plan of action will be.

There's no way they could have not smelled the gas when they had the box open to put the invoice/instructions in.

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Ya, I'm still not totally sure of the response I got. They said not worry about it if anything's wrong with the motor after install, that they would take care of it.
So long as they don't welsh on the warranty, I wouldn't worry.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That's great they tested their product...
A package that smells of gas is not something (shippers) appreciate, and I'm sure it is in violation of some federal laws...
Erich
I have received a few requests from out of state and even out of country people that want one of my builds so I looked into shipping.

Since 9/11 forget any passenger jet cargo hauling, and outrageous hoops to go through to ship air cargo only.
Trucking is different. I haven't gotten into that too much yet, but I know that federal and most states classify anything that has has had gas in it 'flammable hazardous cargo' and supposed to be handled accordingly.

IF I ever wanted to just sell motor kits local I would go through them and run them first but I don't even want to get anywhere near that.
The last thing I need is rookie builders that want to save $100 to build it themselves but calling me directly all the time expecting me to hold their hand for free because they bought the motor kit from me and have no clue how do it right and break it.

Anyway, back to topic, if the motor fires right and runs great it a score, if not then I'd be pretty skeptical about it.

Can I inquire what the motor is and where you got it?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
it all sounds like B/S to me. If they are going to run the motor a new plug should be installed the carb should be drained the air filter should be new and the pipe should be cleaned out. I think you got a used motor that may be ok but maybe not. The "if anything is wrong after install" is not cool.
I feel that all you got was BS, how does he know it was FACTORY tested?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
My motor was run and it stank of gas when I got it. Old gas as the mfg date was 2 years before the ship date. The plug and the piston top were black and oily, the bore was beautiful and the carb and exhaust were unused and brand new.

It appeared that the motor was factory run in a test stand.

PistonBike Rob

Jun 19, 2010
Santa Susana
Hey guys, sorry about all the confusion.
We sell and ship a lot of kits, over the years I have seen benched tested motors.

As far as bench tested carbs. I have only seen the CNS V2 carb come out of a new kit with some fuel in the bowl. Fuel did not seem like mixed with 2 stroke. Smells a little weird too.

Any kit that is called race comes with this CNS V2 carb. We try to catch any carbs that might have fuel in them, on average about 1 in 40.
There is nothing wrong with the carb, just been tested at the factory.

If anyone has any question please call us toll free (800) 3615755

If any customers have any problems or concerns please call us toll free at:
(800) 361-5755

We are on the west coast and open at 11am - 7pm pacific time

John the Chimp

Jun 4, 2011
Simi valley ca
Hey Rob. You guys are right down the street from me. Ive called a few times with some questions. I believe Ive spoken to you. Ive always had great customer sevice. People are polite. I would have no problem if you told me thats what happened. I got my motor brand new and it smelt like deasel fuel. I know that they ship motorcycles from japan filled with fish oil.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Piston Bike guys,
Thanks for hearing me out. I'm sure you can understand the concern I had when I found a few of these things. The kit is going together now. The rag joint is of course being a bear. Gotta pick up some better hard wear tonight. 2 studs/nuts stripped at about 4 am...awesome. Hopefully, she'll be up and running by the end of the weekend.